Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 73
  1. #1

    Default The Ultimate Decision

    Which option do you choose??

    a) Trump is impeached. But, the replacement Republican candidate goes on to win 2020. Impossible to say who such a replacement would be. Pence? Someone more like Trump? Someone more establishment?

    b) Trump is NOT impeached. The Democrat candidate goes on to win 2020. Impossible to say who the candidate is, at this point. Biden? Someone more extreme? Someone more establishment?


    These are he only choices allowed, in this hypothetical scenario.


  2. #2

    Default

    Assuming you mean not only impeached, but also removed from office.

    In A) we know who the replacement candidate would be: Pence. When was the last time a party chose someone other than the incumbent President to represent them in the election.

    At 16 months out from the next election I'd choose B. If you'd have asked in early 2018 I'd have chosen A.

  3. #3

    Default

    This is painful for me. Because I firmly believe that Trump absolutely deserves to have his name scorched in the history books forever, with the stain of impeachment, for the way he has acted and the choices he has made.

    But I also badly want a reasonable Democratic candidate to win in 2020. Practically, it doesn’t do much good to get Trump out if someone just like him comes in right behind.

    If it were a reasonable Republican candidate, like a McCain or Romney, then I absolutely go A. Impeach the bejesus out of him.

    But I’m just not sure someone like that can win anymore. The base has been ruined with filthy folks, out of their woodworks slinging their muck.
    Last edited by Gophers_4life; 07-26-2019 at 11:35 AM.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justthefacts View Post
    Assuming you mean not only impeached, but also removed from office.

    In A) we know who the replacement candidate would be: Pence. When was the last time a party chose someone other than the incumbent President to represent them in the election.

    At 16 months out from the next election I'd choose B. If you'd have asked in early 2018 I'd have chosen A.
    Pence would at least act like a president is supposed to act.

    The horrible, misspelled tweets would go away. The literal laugh-out-loud gaffes during unscripted spoken responses would go away.

    But the rest would be the same. Barr still there. Pro-pollution EPA. Pro-private schools, anti-research DoEd, etc etc etc. The filth.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Windom, MN
    Posts
    7,745

    Default

    Trump will not be impeached - because the Senate will not vote to convict. I think that is what Pelosi understands - that any effort at Impeachment in the House would be a waste of time, because it will result in nothing, and make Trump look more like a martyr to his base.

    I'm not a Trump fan, but I have accepted that Trump is Rollo Tomasi. He's the guy who gets away with it.

    The smartest thing the Dems could do is just forget about Trump, and focus on running the best campaign they can muster for 2020.

    Because - and I say this as a Democrat - if the election was held Today, I think Trump would be re-elected.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    35,179
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Which option do you choose??

    a) Trump is impeached. But, the replacement Republican candidate goes on to win 2020. Impossible to say who such a replacement would be. Pence? Someone more like Trump? Someone more establishment?

    b) Trump is NOT impeached. The Democrat candidate goes on to win 2020. Impossible to say who the candidate is, at this point. Biden? Someone more extreme? Someone more establishment?


    These are he only choices allowed, in this hypothetical scenario.
    He won't be removed. The House impeaching him is the right thing to do for history's sake, but not if it means him being re-elected. That being said, I think the Dems are being cowards and miscalculating the risk. Trump's base will have steam coming out of their ears, but their vote still only counts once. Who cares if it "riles them up?" They're going to vote anyway.

    The question is whether it will turn off moderates. There's no way to know. As long as they don't make it about personal matters (Stormy Daniels) and keep it on obstruction and his corrupt financial dealings, I don't think it will be a Clinton repeat. But they need to decide one way or the other and get on with it. If it drags to close to the election it will look bad.

    Also, there is risk on the other side. If they do nothing, how many Dems will stay home/write in Bernie out of spite?
    Last edited by howeda7; 07-26-2019 at 12:18 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    35,179
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    Trump will not be impeached - because the Senate will not vote to convict. I think that is what Pelosi understands - that any effort at Impeachment in the House would be a waste of time, because it will result in nothing, and make Trump look more like a martyr to his base.

    I'm not a Trump fan, but I have accepted that Trump is Rollo Tomasi. He's the guy who gets away with it.

    The smartest thing the Dems could do is just forget about Trump, and focus on running the best campaign they can muster for 2020.

    Because - and I say this as a Democrat - if the election was held Today, I think Trump would be re-elected.
    Why does it matter if he's a martyr to his base?

    Whether they impeach or not, forgetting about him won't happen. This election will a referendum on him. Period.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    35,179
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Pence would at least act like a president is supposed to act.

    The horrible, misspelled tweets would go away. The literal laugh-out-loud gaffes during unscripted spoken responses would go away.

    But the rest would be the same. Barr still there. Pro-pollution EPA. Pro-private schools, anti-research DoEd, etc etc etc. The filth.
    As long as the Dems keep the House, Pence is far preferable. He's not an incompetent, ignorant fool. He would be far more effective at getting bad GOP legislation passed though, since he actually understands how government works.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    Trump will not be impeached - because the Senate will not vote to convict. I think that is what Pelosi understands - that any effort at Impeachment in the House would be a waste of time, because it will result in nothing, and make Trump look more like a martyr to his base.

    I'm not a Trump fan, but I have accepted that Trump is Rollo Tomasi. He's the guy who gets away with it.

    The smartest thing the Dems could do is just forget about Trump, and focus on running the best campaign they can muster for 2020.

    Because - and I say this as a Democrat - if the election was held Today, I think Trump would be re-elected.
    Except Rollo Tomassi got it in the end.


    Great movie.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    . Also, there is risk on the other side. If they do nothing, how many Dems will stay home/write in Bernie out of spite?
    Are people really that masochistic?? How much pleasure can be gleaned from watching your country burn to the ground??

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Which option do you choose??

    a) Trump is impeached. But, the replacement Republican candidate goes on to win 2020. Impossible to say who such a replacement would be. Pence? Someone more like Trump? Someone more establishment?

    b) Trump is NOT impeached. The Democrat candidate goes on to win 2020. Impossible to say who the candidate is, at this point. Biden? Someone more extreme? Someone more establishment?


    These are he only choices allowed, in this hypothetical scenario.
    What on earth would he be impeached for? Not colluding with Russia? Not being charged with obstruction of a case that was never legitimate in the first place.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Are people really that masochistic?? How much pleasure can be gleaned from watching your country burn to the ground??
    Not much- I saw Obama attempt to do it for 8 straight years- thank God the clock ran out on him, everything he did got reversed and the economy is roaring. #resistance and the Squid are in existence but they are just burning down the Dem party. LOL!!

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    What on earth would he be impeached for? Not colluding with Russia? Not being charged with obstruction of a case that was never legitimate in the first place.
    He’s living in a fantasy world bga, give him a break.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    As long as the Dems keep the House, Pence is far preferable. He's not an incompetent, ignorant fool. He would be far more effective at getting bad GOP legislation passed though, since he actually understands how government works.
    Only preferable in that he wouldn’t be a public baffoon.

    All else, ie policy, would be just as bad.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    the economy is roaring
    Thanks Obama!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •