Chris Autman-Bell

PitinoFan

Banned
Reaction score
The team tweeted his Freshman highlight video today, and it occurred to me that he’s being overshadowed by Johnson and Bateman. He put up some decent numbers for a #3 receiver, and could be poised to make a big jump...especially if defenses design their game plans around stopping Johnson and/or Bateman. Don’t sleep on Autman-Bell.

-28 catches (4th all-time for a Freshman)

-448 yards (3rd all-time for a Freshman)

-16.03 yards/catch (Led team)

https://twitter.com/gopherfootball/status/1153999617463324672?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

He’s been impressive in his own right and will soften the blow/be maybe a more than an adequate placement upon losing Johnson next year.

Don't forget Demetrius Douglas!

Don't forget Demetrius Douglas!

It’s not too late to play DB. J/k, sort of. Depending on on how WR depth shakes out this year and next could be odd man out and significant talent wasted. Sort of like blue chippers riding the pine at Alabama.

Last edited:

I don't remember the last time we had a #3 WR as good as Autman-Bell.

I think you can make the case that TJ, Bateman and Autman-Bell are the best WR trio in the Big Ten, ahead of OSU's KJ Hill, Benjamin Victor and Austin Mack. I'm sure OSU's WR's #4-10 are probably superior to our WR's #4-10 because of how well they recruit but I think you can make the case our top 3 are better than their top 3 or anyone else in the Big Ten.

Last edited:

I don't remember the last time we had a #3 WR as good as Autman-Bell.

I think you can make the case that TJ, Bateman and Autman-Bell are the best WR trio in the Big Ten, ahead of OSU's KJ Hill, Benjamin Victor and Austin Mack. I'm sure OSU's WR's #4-10 are probably superior to our WR's #4-10 because of how well they recruit but I think you can make the case our top 3 are better than their top 3 or anyone else in the Big Ten.

If we go 4 WR's deep, this is the best 4-deep WR's I can remember.

Curious if either true freshman recruit get much time this year. I'm guess neither breaks the 4 game redshirt rule.

If we go 4 WR's deep, this is the best 4-deep WR's I can remember.

Curious if either true freshman recruit get much time this year. I'm guess neither breaks the 4 game redshirt rule.

Based on what he's done so far and not including his return abilities, I don't really think Douglas is that special or better than other #4 WR's we've had in the past. At least not yet.

I can see Namdi challenge for the #4 WR spot this year if he is as good as the coaches said he is on signing day.

Last edited:

Based on what he's done so far and not including his return abilities, I don't really think Douglas is that special or better than other #4 WR's we've had in the past. At least not yet.

I can see Namdi challenge for the #4 WR spot this year if he is as good as the coaches said he is on signing day.

It’s hard to say because Douglas hasn’t been targeted a lot. Our current #3 WR is better than most of our #1’s over the past 10 years. Since our top 3 this year should be the same as last year, plus with the carries the RB’s are likely to see, I wouldn’t expect our #4 receiver to catch a lot of passes.

Our WR's are certainly as good as a group at that position as I can remember. I'm wondering if the QB battle really gets down to how fast Morgan or Annexstad can recognize the defense when they get to the line and get through their reads during the course of a play. Whichever QB can get the ball to the proper read/receiver is what is going to make this offense click. Wow, this is going to be fun!

Yes, the key will be which QB can best utilize our talented wide receiver corps and get them the ball. They other luxury we have is that there really isn't much difference in talent between the two QBs, so that an injury to one won't derail our season.

It’s not too late to play DB. J/k, sort of. Depending on on how WR depth shakes out this year and next could be odd man out and significant talent wasted. Sort of like blue chippers riding the pine at Alabama.

Packages including 4 receiver sets, and trips on either side is a possible answer. Douglas has elusiveness and breakaway speed. He can be dangerous from the slot as well.

Packages including 4 receiver sets, and trips on either side is a possible answer. Douglas has elusiveness and breakaway speed. He can be dangerous from the slot as well.

I’m not disagreeing about his talent, just that in this group he seems to be targeted less/utilized less, and additionally have wondered if he would be an every down player on the other side where we are a little thinner. Obviously I’m just chattering from the peanut gallery and it’s clear he really wants to stay at WR and importantly could still break out this year or next.

Dont forget Seth Green
If I remember right he was very good going up in 1-1's for ball in the end zone in last years Spring game
another year of reps at WR and in certain situations he can go up and win those 50/50 battles

It is HIGHLY unlikely that any of the true Freshman wideouts see anything but 4 game play.

I’m not disagreeing about his talent, just that in this group he seems to be targeted less/utilized less, and additionally have wondered if he would be an every down player on the other side where we are a little thinner. Obviously I’m just chattering from the peanut gallery and it’s clear he really wants to stay at WR and importantly could still break out this year or next.

I was just saying that even if the WR group is loaded, the staff could/ can still use him. I think we both agree that he is very talented and that it would be a shame for him to sit on the bench if he could help on the other side. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays on offense and defense in addition to special teams.

In PJ Fleck's B1G Media Day interviews he also talks about Rodney Smith lining up at WR. There's a lot of talent but only so many positions on the field. In the words of Marlo Stanfield, this "sounds like one of them good problems."

There won’t be enough balls to go around with all the depth at WR and RB. Nice problem to have, feeling more like a top flight program!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There won’t be enough balls to go around with all the depth at WR and RB. Nice problem to have, feeling more like a top flight program!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, Ohio State has the same problem every year.

I was just saying that even if the WR group is loaded, the staff could/ can still use him. I think we both agree that he is very talented and that it would be a shame for him to sit on the bench if he could help on the other side. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays on offense and defense in addition to special teams.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what kinds of packages we see more of this year.

Think back to just a few years ago when we were struggling to find just 1 really good option at receiver and forget about going beyond the top guy because it got really bleak super fast.

The exciting thing about our current group is the likelihood that we can sustain a high level for years to come. When TJ graduates we will still have Bateman, CAB, and Douglas. Plus given the track record of the staff at recruiting WR so far it is reasonable to think that some of these new guys are going to be pretty good as well.

To the OPs point, CAB does get overshadowed by the other two at this point but he has been really impressive making those tough catches in traffic and as TJ and Bateman draw more and more attention it will just open things up for CAB even more to do damage underneath.

If the O-Line gives whoever is under center time and they make good decisions in the passing game there should be lots of good options for them to get the ball to. Really excited to see what this offense can do this year because there is so much potential for really good things to happen if things break right.

The team tweeted his Freshman highlight video today, and it occurred to me that he’s being overshadowed by Johnson and Bateman. He put up some decent numbers for a #3 receiver, and could be poised to make a big jump...especially if defenses design their game plans around stopping Johnson and/or Bateman. Don’t sleep on Autman-Bell.

-28 catches (4th all-time for a Freshman)

-448 yards (3rd all-time for a Freshman)

-16.03 yards/catch (Led team)

I still think he could be more talented than Johnson and Bateman. I absolutely think he has the best hands of those three receivers. I think he's going to have a great career for the Gophers, could be easily my favorite of the receivers right now.

Think back to just a few years ago when we were struggling to find just 1 really good option at receiver and forget about going beyond the top guy because it got really bleak super fast.

The exciting thing about our current group is the likelihood that we can sustain a high level for years to come. When TJ graduates we will still have Bateman, CAB, and Douglas. Plus given the track record of the staff at recruiting WR so far it is reasonable to think that some of these new guys are going to be pretty good as well.

Yeah - the upgrade has been pretty substantial and very exciting.

For some reason I thought CAB was a redshirt junior. Nope, just a sophomore. Maybe it’s the reliable hands and clutch catches. I thought he played like an upperclassman when watching him last year.

For some reason I thought CAB was a redshirt junior. Nope, just a sophomore. Maybe it’s the reliable hands and clutch catches. I thought he played like an upperclassman when watching him last year.

Perhaps you need to listen more about whether this team as whole is old or young.

Perhaps you need to listen more about whether this team as whole is old or young.

The team as a whole is young, I wouldn’t argue that. Not the 2nd youngest team in the country, but young. I’m not arguing that point though, I’m just commenting that CAB has a very mature game.

The team as a whole is young, I wouldn’t argue that. Not the 2nd youngest team in the country, but young. I’m not arguing that point though, I’m just commenting that CAB has a very mature game.

I was trying to be funny. Don't take it seriously.

(I'm not really that funny)

I was trying to be funny. Don't take it seriously.

(I'm not really that funny)

You are funny, but looks aren’t everything (Dad joke alert). But in a Halloweeny kind of way, or so I learned from another thread.

To the OPs point, CAB does get overshadowed by the other two at this point but he has been really impressive making those tough catches in traffic and as TJ and Bateman draw more and more attention it will just open things up for CAB even more to do damage underneath.

If the O-Line gives whoever is under center time and they make good decisions in the passing game there should be lots of good options for them to get the ball to. Really excited to see what this offense can do this year because there is so much potential for really good things to happen if things break right.

I won't miss relying on one WR who finally got reliable his Jr/SR year

I won't miss relying on one WR who finally got reliable his Jr/SR year

Yep, WR is a position where a guy can come in and make an immediate impact in college football. Some skill guys do develop over time (TJ is a good example with the position switch) but for the most part if a skill player can play you find out pretty quickly.

Why I never really bought into the hype on the receivers we had during the Kill years that were supposedly going to be good but never found their way onto the field. So glad that we seem to be on the other side of that trend with this position group and it is actually becoming a strength of the team instead of a massive weakness.

Top Bottom