Chris Autman-Bell

Yep, WR is a position where a guy can come in and make an immediate impact in college football. Some skill guys do develop over time (TJ is a good example with the position switch) but for the most part if a skill player can play you find out pretty quickly.

Why I never really bought into the hype on the receivers we had during the Kill years that were supposedly going to be good but never found their way onto the field. So glad that we seem to be on the other side of that trend with this position group and it is actually becoming a strength of the team instead of a massive weakness.

Perhaps the Kill regime never had the right position coaches to develop those receivers. This staff clearly does. We know Fleck’s track record, and it sounds like Simon is pretty good, as well. Johnson has been singing his praises a lot. Fleck needs to do all he can to hang on to some of these assistants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps the Kill regime never had the right position coaches to develop those receivers. This staff clearly does. We know Fleck’s track record, and it sounds like Simon is pretty good, as well. Johnson has been singing his praises a lot. Fleck needs to do all he can to hang on to some of these assistants.

I absolutely think coaching is a big part of the success we are seeing at the WR position in addition to finding better talent. I honestly don't think TJ would be the receiver he is without Simon. This coaching group really understands the WR position and it is a strength for them.

Yes, and this is where the athletic department needs to allocate enough money for the assistants.

I absolutely think coaching is a big part of the success we are seeing at the WR position in addition to finding better talent. I honestly don't think TJ would be the receiver he is without Simon. This coaching group really understands the WR position and it is a strength for them.

Yeah, I wonder how Gentry, Holland, Gant and Still and Register would have turned out if they had Fleck and Simon as their coach for the entirety of their careers. Those guys had a ton a size and athleticism and the old staff was really high on them. Gentry was always Hurt and his second year against Ohio was really the only taste we got of him. Holland ended being considered maybe the best route runner on the team but couldn't catch, especially the easy ones. Rashad Still did get a year with Fleck and Fleck was incredibly high on him during spring ball but then during the season he never really did anything and transferred. Gant and Register never really did anything with either staff.

Simon is going to be a hard one to hold onto, long term. Since Fleck was his position coach at Northern Illinois, I’m guessing there’s some loyalty there, but that only goes so far. His resume is impressive.

Simon is going to be a hard one to hold onto, long term. Since Fleck was his position coach at Northern Illinois, I’m guessing there’s some loyalty there, but that only goes so far. His resume is impressive.

I think I remember hearing somewhere that he's turned down NFL jobs.

Simon will be the Gophers' next OC.

I think I remember hearing somewhere that he's turned down NFL jobs.

I’ve heard PJ say that recently. Maybe he is the next OC. He’s already the “Passing Game Coordinator,” in addition to WR coach.

I’ve heard PJ say that recently. Maybe he is the next OC. He’s already the “Passing Game Coordinator,” in addition to WR coach.

Probably a pretty safe bet he would be the new OC if Kirk moved on to somewhere else. In the meantime they can keep on adding titles to his job in order to get him pay bumps and hopefully the U will pay competitive assistant salaries to help keep quality position coaches around.

I would add that the offenses run are quite a bit different, so the comparison is somewhat tricky.

Here are Fleck's two years Passing Offense rankings and the two years preceding his arrival:

2015 - 73rd (215 yards/game) 6-7
2016 - 111th (174 yard/game) 9-4
2017 - 121st (124 yards/game) 5-7
2018 - 89th (209 yard/game) 7-6

Probably a pretty safe bet he would be the new OC if Kirk moved on to somewhere else. In the meantime they can keep on adding titles to his job in order to get him pay bumps and hopefully the U will pay competitive assistant salaries to help keep quality position coaches around.

I believe the assistant $$ pool ranked somewhere right around 30th.

Fleck is the best WR coach on the staff. He works with the WR pretty often.

Top Bottom