Michigan 2019-20

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
https://mgoblue.com/schedule.aspx?path=wbball

Michigan's non-con schedule with last season's opponent's NCAA RPI.

311 Oakland
310 Morgan State
274 Western Michigan
201 @ Eastern Michigan
168 @ Akron
155 Bradley
118 Appalachian State
81 (N) Kent State
21 (N) Florida State
11 Syracuse
2 Notre Dame

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...omens-basketball-kim-barnes-arico/4000703002/

Michigan's media day report from the Free Press:
Several key contributors on last season's team are gone. Michigan will miss center Hallie Thome, a three-time first team All-Big Ten honoree, who graduated as the program's second all-time leading scorer, rebounder and shot-blocker. Guard Nicole Munger, who started every game last season and was the team's third-leading scorer, also graduated, while guard Deja Church, the fourth-leading scorer, transferred to DePaul.

Forward Naz Hillmon was a breakout star as a freshman last season, averaging a team-high 13.1 points and 7.0 rebounds per game. And she did it all as Michigan's sixth player. Hillmon was named Big Ten freshman of the year by the media and Big Ten sixth player of the year, and was picked for the All-Big Ten first team and Big Ten all-freshmanteam.

“She was a freshman for us last season," Barnes Arico said, "and she was our MVP.”

Now, U-M is looking for a sizable second-year jump from Hillmon.

Amy Dilk was a highly touted recruit, a five-star prospect and ranked No. 40 in the nation. Which is why it wasn't a surprise that she played an integral role on last season's team, replacing former point guard Katelynn Flaherty, the program's all-time leading scorer.

Dilk started 29 games and averaged 7.2 points, 3.7 rebounds and a team-high 4.4 assists, while playing 30.3 minutes per game. As Dilk enters her second season as a mainstay in the lineup, Barnes Arico is looking for more consistency.

It'll be difficult to replace Thome, but U-M has a couple of options in the frontcourt. The tallest is freshman Izabel Varejão, whose uncle, Anderson, played 13 seasons in the NBA.

Varejão, who is from Brazil, is 6-foot-4 and has "a chance to be really special for us," Barnes Arico said. It'll be hard to keep Varejão off the court.

“She has great hands, great footwork," Barnes Arico said. "She can shoot the 3, she blocks shots. She’s got a chance to be really good. I think she’s off to a really great start.”

https://www.mlive.com/sports/g66l-2...-basketball-coming-off-another-ncaa-run-.html

More Michigan media day from mlive:

Michigan returns eight players from last season’s team and will add three freshmen to the roster.

The three players entering the program include ESPN 4-star guard Michelle Sidor, who finished her high school career as the second all-time leading scorer in New Jersey history and was ranked as the No. 67 player in the country.

Maddie Nolan comes from Indiana where she was an all-state selection her junior and is coming off an injury that allowed her to play just five games as a senior. Despite the injury, the 5-foot-8 guard finished as the all-time leading scorer for Zionsville High School.

Michigan’s third freshman is Brazilian born forward Izabel Varejao, who is the niece of former NBA player Anderson Varejão. The 6-foot-4 forward was a McDonald’s All-American nominee and averaged 14.7 points, 7.6 rebounds and 2.2 blocks as a junior.
Wolverines moving toward more position-less basketball

Michigan’s women’s team's next is geared toward developing their players to be able to play and guard multiple positions.

Arico highlighted players like junior Hailey Brown and seniors Akienreh Johnson and Kayla Robbins and others on their versatility and ability to do more outside of the traditional guard, forward and center roles the game is accustomed to.

https://depauliaonline.com/43827/sp...ch-primed-to-make-immediate-impact-at-depaul/

DePaul's Doug Bruno is good at getting transfers immediately eligible:

“Michigan just wasn’t a good fit for me, on the court and off the court,” Church said.

Church entered the transfer portal after the NCAA tournament in March, where she started on a Michigan team that made it to the second round of play. She was anything but unfamiliar with what the Blue Demons were doing over in Chicago. Church had an in, after having visited with DePaul coaching staff as well as the players.

“Out of high school, they were recruiting me and I knew I had good relationships with the coaches and stuff,” Church said. So mainly when I was transferring I was looking for a school that I could come into right away and impact the team. DePaul, they’re known for quick guards, shooting threes and playing 94 feet. I thought that was more my type of style from what I was used to.”

This style change was welcome for Church, as she felt a bit limited in the system at Michigan, DePaul plays a more free game with more three-point shots and speed. And the experience that she gained at Michigan made her a perfect candidate for coming to DePaul.
When she realized she could get into a role at DePaul this summer, it made things a lot easier. When a player transfers between colleges, oftentimes they have to wait a year in order to be eligible to play at their new school. Church’s waiver was granted by the NCAA and she will be able to play a key role on the court with DePaul this season.

Top Bottom