Adrian Peterson appears to be having serious financial problems despite making $100MM

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Redskins running back Adrian Peterson has made nearly $100 million in his NFL career, but it appears he doesn't have much of that money left.

Over the past two years, Peterson's financial woes have led to at least three different lawsuits, with three different creditors using the legal system to try and get Peterson to pay off his debts. Of those three lawsuits, two have been filed in the past eight weeks.

According to Peterson's lawyer, Chase Carlson, the 34-year-old is having financial problems because he was trusting of the wrong people.

"The truth behind Adrian Peterson's current financial situation is more than is being reported at this time," Carlson said in a statement. "Because of ongoing legal matters, I am unable to go into detail, but I will say this is yet another situation of an athlete trusting the wrong people and being taken advantage of by those he trusted. Adrian and his family look forward to sharing further details when appropriate."

Although Carlson didn't offer any specific details on Peterson's financial situation, the three lawsuits do provide a small glimpse into the running back's money problems. The first lawsuit, which was filed in Minnesota in October 2017, accused Peterson of defaulting on a $2.4 million loan.

In that case, Peterson took out the loan in May 2016 and defaulted just five months later. The company that filed the lawsuit, Crown Bank, spent nearly a year trying to work things out with Peterson before taking him to court. Peterson was eventually ordered to repay the $600,000 that was left on the loan.

Peterson also took out a separate $4 million loan in April 2016 that he's being sued over. According to court records obtained by the Baltimore Business Journal, Peterson missed the first payment on the loan, which caused the interest rate to jump from 15 percent to 23 percent. Although Peterson did pay back some of the loan, the case went to court in June and that ended with a judge in Maryland ordering Peterson to pay back $2.4 million to the company that sued him, Democracy Capital Corp.

The third case involving Peterson is the biggest one yet. According to the Athletic, Peterson is being sued for allegedly defaulting on $5.2 million with a lender in Pennsylvania. Apparently, the running back took out the loan to try and pay off his other debts, but only ended up in more debt. When you include interest and legal fees, Peterson now allegedly owes more than $6.6 million on his $5.2 million loan.

Since NFL players only get paid during the season, Peterson won't be getting his weekly game check until September. The running back signed a two-year, $5.03 million deal with Washington back in March that included $1.5 million in guaranteed money.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-making-nearly-100-million-in-his-nfl-career/

Skol Vikes!!

two words - child support.

Seriously, ESPN did a show - maybe it was a 30 on 30 - about former NFL players who went bankrupt or wound up in serious financial trouble. In just about every case, they led a lifestyle that went beyond their means. the salary sounds good - but the agent gets a cut, the business manager gets a cut, etc. - not to mention taxes. Then you get the multiple houses, fleet of cars, and you can blow through $10 million in a real hurry. can't remember the name, but I saw a story the other day about a former NBA player who was broke. this guy had bought houses for multiple family members, and was supporting a slew of relatives, and just spent all his money.

it's more common than a lot of people might think.

two words - child support.

Seriously, ESPN did a show - maybe it was a 30 on 30 - about former NFL players who went bankrupt or wound up in serious financial trouble. In just about every case, they led a lifestyle that went beyond their means. the salary sounds good - but the agent gets a cut, the business manager gets a cut, etc. - not to mention taxes. Then you get the multiple houses, fleet of cars, and you can blow through $10 million in a real hurry. can't remember the name, but I saw a story the other day about a former NBA player who was broke. this guy had bought houses for multiple family members, and was supporting a slew of relatives, and just spent all his money.

it's more common than a lot of people might think.

Haven't seen a video segment on it, but somewhere I read an article about pro players going broke very fast after retiring.

Every professional player's first phone call should be with a financial planner.

I'm assuming the attorney fees are not helping his situation.

WTH kind of loan has a base rate of 15% and jumps to 23% after missing one payment?! That's worse than a credit card. I've worked with Crown Bank in the past. They're very reputable, and it sounds like they tried to work things out with Peterson first. Hopefully his lawyer doesn't drag them through the mud. But what kind of loan shark gave him that other loan? Yikes.

WTH kind of loan has a base rate of 15% and jumps to 23% after missing one payment?! That's worse than a credit card. I've worked with Crown Bank in the past. They're very reputable, and it sounds like they tried to work things out with Peterson first. Hopefully his lawyer doesn't drag them through the mud. But what kind of loan shark gave him that other loan? Yikes.

So many people don't read the terms of loans, credit cards, etc. I've learned because of past credit mistakes in my early 20's. When I decided I wanted to consolidate my student loans a few years back, I did a ton of research before I picked SoFi (by the way, fantastic online loan company). I made the rep stay on the phone while I was looking through the terms she sent to me by email. Better to be informed before you're locked in to the loan.

Probably lost a lot of endorsement money... these signature loans were high interest due to him having prior credit issues....hopefully he can re-invent himself and learn to live within his means. Which could be pretty good by most standards... No sympathy for him or the lenders who rolled the dice on these loans

Probably lost a lot of endorsement money... these signature loans were high interest due to him having prior credit issues....hopefully he can re-invent himself and learn to live within his means. Which could be pretty good by most standards... No sympathy for him or the lenders who rolled the dice on these loans

I doubt he reinvents himself. In order to do that you have to be bright, resourceful and lucky. He doesn’t appear to be bright and resourceful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom