CBS: Biggest player in college football is just now learning how to dominate (MN: DF)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dodd:

The biggest player in college football doesn't have much to say about the subject of being the biggest player in college football.

At 6-feet-9 and 400 pounds, Daniel Faalele fills a jersey and pads like no other. Offered a scholarship before he ever saw a football field and getting the chance to start as a freshman at Minnesota, his soaring arc shouts how the game values size and potential. Not necessarily in that order.

Recruited out of Australia with only two years of playing experience at a U.S. high school, Faalele became All-Big Ten honorable mention right tackle in 2018.

At this point, it's best to let others speak for those accomplishments.

"I offered him first," boasted Chris Naoele, then the offensive line coach at Hawaii. "When you see the size of him. it's like, 'Are you for real?' He was like a big mountain."

"It's like the bearded lady," said Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck. "It's like, wow, you're going to pay to see her."

"He's a cool dude to be around," Minnesota wide receiver Tyler Johnson said. "He's funny. He's huge. I don't know if he gets questions like that, 'How is the air up there?'"

Asked how his mighty frame might rise up when he becomes enraged, Faalele simply says, "It's just a mindset. I'm not really mad. It's just a mindset. I'm just going to dominate you."

There is no official standard by which Faalele is the game's biggest player. But what other player do you know who wears size 18 shoes, whose head seems bigger than his helmet, and who stands a head bigger than of his offensive line teammates (typically the largest players on the field)?

But he is more than that bearded lady, that circus act. Four years ago at age 16, Faalele walked into Conquest Athletic Performance in Melbourne, Australia, to rehab from a basketball injury with head of performance David Tuinauvai, who ended up training him.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ootball-is-just-now-learning-how-to-dominate/

Go Gophers!!

per Dodd:

The biggest player in college football doesn't have much to say about the subject of being the biggest player in college football.

At 6-feet-9 and 400 pounds, Daniel Faalele fills a jersey and pads like no other. Offered a scholarship before he ever saw a football field and getting the chance to start as a freshman at Minnesota, his soaring arc shouts how the game values size and potential. Not necessarily in that order.

Recruited out of Australia with only two years of playing experience at a U.S. high school, Faalele became All-Big Ten honorable mention right tackle in 2018.

At this point, it's best to let others speak for those accomplishments.

"I offered him first," boasted Chris Naoele, then the offensive line coach at Hawaii. "When you see the size of him. it's like, 'Are you for real?' He was like a big mountain."

"It's like the bearded lady," said Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck. "It's like, wow, you're going to pay to see her."

"He's a cool dude to be around," Minnesota wide receiver Tyler Johnson said. "He's funny. He's huge. I don't know if he gets questions like that, 'How is the air up there?'"

Asked how his mighty frame might rise up when he becomes enraged, Faalele simply says, "It's just a mindset. I'm not really mad. It's just a mindset. I'm just going to dominate you."

There is no official standard by which Faalele is the game's biggest player. But what other player do you know who wears size 18 shoes, whose head seems bigger than his helmet, and who stands a head bigger than of his offensive line teammates (typically the largest players on the field)?

But he is more than that bearded lady, that circus act. Four years ago at age 16, Faalele walked into Conquest Athletic Performance in Melbourne, Australia, to rehab from a basketball injury with head of performance David Tuinauvai, who ended up training him.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ootball-is-just-now-learning-how-to-dominate/

Go Gophers!!

From the article, Faalele has a younger brother -- I didn't know that. Taylor, age 12, is 6-foot-1, 260 pounds. His mom is living here now, so I'm guessing the brother is here as well.

From the article, Faalele has a younger brother -- I didn't know that. Taylor, age 12, is 6-foot-1, 260 pounds. His mom is living here now, so I'm guessing the brother is here as well.

If he’s playing football, we’ll be hearing a lot about him soon. I wonder if PJ offered yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the best news I've heard in some tome. Thank you for posting it; made my day!:eek:

Really PJ? Most super large people don’t lord it over people and are actually quite self conscious about it. They tend to not appreciate circus freak comparisons.

Really PJ? Most super large people don’t lord it over people and are actually quite self conscious about it. They tend to not appreciate circus freak comparisons.

I'm guessing DF knows he's large.

Here’s a picture of younger Faalele from over a year ago with Daniel and their mother. The attached Linkedin post says he wants to learn American football too! At the time of the post, he had just completed 6th grade in Melborne, and was huge! He’s probably about to enter 8th grade at Benilde.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/gopher-football-fanslets-find-job-daniel-faaleles-sally

Here’s another photo of Daniel and his brother from over two years ago. 10-11 years old, and he didn’t even look that small next to his brother.

https://twitter.com/salesianchad/status/879530898361856001?s=21

Last edited:

How many of Faalele's teammates will dare call him "the bearded lady?" [emoji16]

I'm guessing DF knows he's large.

Of course. But like a “bearded lady” is one of the least flattering metaphors I’ve heard for a big dude and implies a weird oddity more than a titan of awesomeness

PJ made that comment during an interview on the radio, he said it in a humorous fashion. His comment was fine!

Of course. But like a “bearded lady” is one of the least flattering metaphors I’ve heard for a big dude and implies a weird oddity more than a titan of awesomeness

Maybe just maybe, it isn't as big deal as your making of it. There is a good chance that Big Dan isn't as hypersensitive as yourself.

Just coach speak.

I see where he picked to be third team all Big 10. My thinking he'll be at least 2nd team. However don't know who was projected ahead of him.

I see where he picked to be third team all Big 10. My thinking he'll be at least 2nd team. However don't know who was projected ahead of him.

It should have said 3rd team All America

Dodd: The biggest player in college football is just now learning how to dominate

NM
Didn't see other thread.

Last edited:

The 'bearded lady' reference reminded me of one of my favorite John Hiatt songs - from "Buffalo River Home" ----

Now there's only two things in life but I forget what they are
It seems we're either hanging on a moonbeams coat tails
Or wishing on stars
Just when you think that you've been gyped
The bearded lady comes and does a double back flip

And you run off and join the circus
Yeah, you just let that pony ride

Top Bottom