Forget the football season, who won the press conference at BT Media Day? (11. Fleck)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per PennLive.com:

11. P.J. Fleck (Minnesota)

Thirty years ago when we were young adults and didn’t know better, my wife and I signed up for one of those free-vacation scams that turns into a time-share pitch. I had never before seen a hard sell like the one we heard in Hawai’i attempting to separate us from five figures for membership in some giant, horrific high-rise resort development.

The ringleader was relentless. And he was in this gear that really had no resemblance to genuine human interaction. But that seemed lost on him. He was in his own zone. If words were water, this guy would’ve had a kitchen faucet transplanted into his face.

I think of that man whenever I see P.J. Fleck. The moment I hear Minnesota coach’s voice, I begin looking around for an unsigned contract. Then, I make sure my wallet is where I put it.

He was one of the few coaches who approached 15 minutes at the B1G media day lectern. He spoke 2,721 words in that window. Even subtracting the long pauses for when the reporters’ mic was passed around and they asked questions, that’s more than three words per second. Other than Tom Allen, nobody came close. I checked.

So, you have to listen closely for Fleck’s key phrases. But my favorite was this:

“We consider ourselves a life program and not just a football program.”

I hear him. And I promise you this: When I reach for the cereal this morning and pour that milk, I’m going to make sure it’s the best pour I’ll make – today. I’m gonna forget tomorrow’s breakfast, forget about the times I spilled a little in the past. Just make this bowl the best I’ve ever made.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...ss-conference-at-2019-big-ten-media-days.html

Go Gophers!!

It’s an odd world that we live in that the press is complaining about a coach saying too many words at a press conference

It’s an odd world that we live in that the press is complaining about a coach saying too many words at a press conference

LOL writers complain coaches give them nothing. Then they complain about them saying too much.

Minnesota football’s two biggest problems are recruiting relative to the Big Ten and filling seats on gameday. That makes this a sales job in many ways.

Made me laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL writers complain coaches give them nothing. Then they complain about them saying too much.

Minnesota football’s two biggest problems are recruiting relative to the Big Ten and filling seats on gameday. That makes this a sales job in many ways.

So many sports media folk act like someone forced them into the job or something.

The players have Fleck speak down too

They were talking about changing best, culture, etc.

(Coughlin, Johnson, and Ibrahim)

The only thing I agree with is the time share pitch. I had a horrible experience in Florida with one of these outfits. Never so happy to get out of there alive with my pocketbook untouched.

I enjoy the timeshare pitches. They are fun if you have some self-confidence because it turns into a little give and take and you know you'll leave not spending a dime. Evidently, timeshare pitches aren't for everyone.

If you haven't, read the whole article. this writer is pretty funny. he took little shots at most of the coaches in the conference. Like Kirk Ferentz was the inspiration for those machines that make soothing background noises to help you fall asleep. And Paul Chryst sounds like an 8th-grader giving an oral report on the French and Indian war.

But that puts the Fleck segment into context. the writer appears to dislike guys that come on too strong, or use a lot of hyperbole and catch phrases. And, like it or not, that's Fleck.

Oh - and by the way, a guy I knew in college talked me into attending a "seminar" one night. Turned out to be a recruitment pitch for Amway distributors. 10 minutes in, I was considering jumping out a window just to escape.

Yeah, MLM pitches are worse than timeshare pitches.

I enjoy the timeshare pitches. They are fun if you have some self-confidence because it turns into a little give and take and you know you'll leave not spending a dime. Evidently, timeshare pitches aren't for everyone.

You might be the only human being that enjoys time share pitches. Why on earth would you attend one (a coupon for a restaurant doesn't count) if you know you're not going to buy one? What a waste of time.

While I agree that PJ has a lot of salesman to him, it is (as someone else pointed out) ironic that a news site would complain about a coach that talks too much.

I went to one of these in Cabo. Sat down, had a nice breakfast, few beers and then the sales started. Was wildly entertaining. Met a very nice couple from Denver that would make a game of it. See how many free drinks they could have before the people caught on. Really an enjoyable morning.

I went to one of these in Cabo. Sat down, had a nice breakfast, few beers and then the sales started. Was wildly entertaining. Met a very nice couple from Denver that would make a game of it. See how many free drinks they could have before the people caught on. Really an enjoyable morning.

In Cabo I got a ton of stuff including a full day marlin charter where I actually caught one just for sitting through a sales pitch. Plus the drinks of course.

I really like Fleck but seconds into his presentation he mentioned the Gophers were the youngest team of the power 5 and this year would be the 2nd youngest. I stopped the Youtube and wondered if the sound of fingernails on a blackboard had the same effect on me. i concluded yes.

The reality is many media members still haven't totally figured Fleck out yet. He was the hot name in coaching a few years ago and since his arrival at the U there has been some good and some bad. Like all of us they are in the wait and see mode to find out if he really can do here what so many others before him have failed to do.

You might be the only human being that enjoys time share pitches. Why on earth would you attend one (a coupon for a restaurant doesn't count) if you know you're not going to buy one? What a waste of time.

While I agree that PJ has a lot of salesman to him, it is (as someone else pointed out) ironic that a news site would complain about a coach that talks too much.

I got dragged into it by a certain family member who called it a tour.
Guessed what it was before we got there, but basically went along with it. Had a young guy with a sense of humor and we gave him a hard time. Right from the start made it clear we were very not interested and we're just going through it. Gave him a hard time and he dished it back some by the end. It wasn't miserable. Got a tour of a nice facility and a nice breakfast and some cash / coupons.

I got dragged into it by a certain family member who called it a tour.
Guessed what it was before we got there, but basically went along with it. Had a young guy with a sense of humor and we gave him a hard time. Right from the start made it clear we were very not interested and we're just going through it. Gave him a hard time and he dished it back some by the end. It wasn't miserable. Got a tour of a nice facility and a nice breakfast and some cash / coupons.

I could handle this. The extreme high pressure, anger issues of three straight guys was too much for me. That was my first and last experience with a time share. Never again.

In Cabo I got a ton of stuff including a full day marlin charter where I actually caught one just for sitting through a sales pitch. Plus the drinks of course.

Got sucked into a meeting once early in my thirties on a trip to to Mexico. I've always avoided them firmly since, Whatever they offer, i only get a couple weeks of vacation a year, I'm not wasting a morning of one day listening to someone try to rip me off for a timeshare just to get some trinkets and beads.

Top Bottom