2019 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Vikings are going to treat this like a preseason game. It doesn't matter if they lose, at all. They shouldn't be playing starters, really at all.

As someone who is going to be cheering for the Las Vegas Raiders next year, it sucks that the Vikings will probably roll over for the Bears tomorrow, which will drop the 1st round pick of the Bears that is still owed to the Raiders for the Mack trade.

Then again, it's still Trubisky, so who knows what could happen tomorrow. I don't see the Vikings playing a lot of starters very long though.
That stadium looks bad ass.

Would you recommend living in Vegas?

That stadium looks bad ass.

Would you recommend living in Vegas?
Hell yes! No state income tax, warm dry weather (heading out for a couple hours bike ride here in a few minutes). Traffic isn't nearly as bad as MSP, at least in my opinion. Too many Cali f'ng idiots but you take the good with the bad. Sure it's hot in the summer but not unlike MN in the winter, you bust out of town a few times to break it up and it's over pretty quick.

I think the Raiders are going to be HUGE here, after watching the Golden Knights explode. It will be the hottest ticket in town for years and years, without a doubt. I bought 4 seats in the new stadium, can't wait until next fall!

Yeah but ... if you don't want to work in the gaming industry ... what do you do for money?

Great if you're retired I guess.

Chip: Having players healthy for playoffs matters more than loss to Bears

The game was pointless. Being healthy, or healthier, carries more significance.

“It’s a war of attrition at this point,” Weatherly said. “Whoever is the healthiest will go the farthest.”

Not necessarily. Injuries matter, and teams need their best players available. The Vikings offense obviously is much more dangerous with Dalvin Cook than without him. But execution decides games. The Vikings’ playoff life will be short if they perform like they did against the Packers.

“We believe we’ve got a lot of pieces,” safety Anthony Harris said.

Most of those pieces got the day off Sunday. It was a smart plan. Whether they take advantage of it is now up to them.

Skol Vikes!!

I like the Vikings chances against the saints. A dome game is something the team will be comfortable with

Hell yes! No state income tax, warm dry weather (heading out for a couple hours bike ride here in a few minutes). Traffic isn't nearly as bad as MSP, at least in my opinion. Too many Cali f'ng idiots but you take the good with the bad. Sure it's hot in the summer but not unlike MN in the winter, you bust out of town a few times to break it up and it's over pretty quick.

I think the Raiders are going to be HUGE here, after watching the Golden Knights explode. It will be the hottest ticket in town for years and years, without a doubt. I bought 4 seats in the new stadium, can't wait until next fall!
Thanks. I've proposed the move to the ol' lady but she will have none of it with her parents living here in MN

Thanks. I've proposed the move to the ol' lady but she will have none of it with her parents living here in MN
Flights to Vegas are cheap. Pretty sure rental property is cheap and in excess there, as well. Just visit there. No need to move there.

The Saints played poorly towards the end of the season. We have the blueprint of what to do to beat them. Just have to execute. I'd like to see Brees constantly under pressure.

Definitely Zim’s defense. Don’t think those players would like that at all.

Would Zim accept this fate by becoming D coordinator??

Definitely Zim’s defense. Don’t think those players would like that at all.

Would Zim accept this fate by becoming D coordinator??

Wait!What? Ahh, no. If Zim is fired, he'll get hired as a HC in a Dallas Cowboy second.

Skol Vikes!!

I’d love to face an unproven playoff team like San Francisco in the second round. The path is there we just have to execute.

If the Vikes get blown out hopefully Spielman is shown the door and Zimmer’s say in the draft room is weakened. The lack of attention to a porous, weak and unathletic line has been inexcusable.

Wait!What? Ahh, no. If Zim is fired, he'll get hired as a HC in a Dallas Cowboy second.

Skol Vikes!!
Zimmer has a few shortcomings, like anyone else, but is easily one of the best HC in the NFL today. He could certainly shore up a few things as he movies forward but it would be galactically stupid to get rid of him as coach.

-Zimmer is above average
-We could do better
-A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
-I don't trust the Wilfs to be able to identify that better coach

If the Vikes get blown out hopefully Spielman is shown the door and Zimmer’s say in the draft room is weakened. The lack of attention to a porous, weak and unathletic line has been inexcusable.
OL drafted:
2017 - Elflein (starting G), Isidora (traded to Dolphins for 2020 pick)
2018 - O'Neill (starting T), Gossett (Cards signed him off practice squad)
2019 - Bradbury (starting C), Samia (made roster), Udoh (made roster)

Other starters were signed as FA (2017 Rieff, who was a 1st rounder in 2012, and 2019 Kline undrafted).

On paper it seems like they put in some effort. If you put too much effort into the OL, that just takes away from elsewhere. No perfect way to do it ...

Not saying they've done a great job.

Kirk Cousins declines to speculate on importance of Sunday’s game for Vikings future

Kirk Cousins’ first playoff game with the Vikings could be very important to his future, but he’s not about to speculate on that.

The quarterback, in the second year of three-year, $84 million contract, has been dogged by a reputation of not leading his team to wins in big games and often not playing well in them. He’s got a chance in Sunday’s playoff opener at New Orleans to change the narrative in his biggest Minnesota game yet.

Even without a victory, a solid performance could play a role in how the Vikings might look to move forward with Cousins. Could he, for instance, be a candidate for a contract extension during the offseason?

“I’m just focused on the game,’’ Cousins said Wednesday. “How we win and beyond that really is not the focus.’’

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer feels the same way.

“Importance level is to play well this week, and we’ll worry about the long term and those other things later on,’’ Zimmer said. “We’re going to focus on the Saints, and go down to New Orleans.’’

Skol Vikes!!

If Kubiak's healthy enough to be HC, fine. Firing Zim to elevate Stefanski will be a disaster, IMO.

You'd rather have Kub than Stefanski? Just curious why?
Kubiak is a proven head coach who's won a Super Bowl. The only reason he is not still the Broncos head coach is his health issues.

Stefanski is the latest hot name. How did Pat Shurmer work out? He's been a coordinator for all of 1 year, and much of the Vikings improvement is thanks to Kubiak's system, not Stefanski's brilliance.

Hughes and Alexander are both out Sunday. Yikes. Send the house on every play and hope to get a couple turnovers I guess.

"
The Vikings have won one playoff game under the team of Spielman and Zimmer, and that victory resulted from a very good player, Saints safety Marcus Williams, closing his eyes and whiffing on Stefon Diggs like a blindfolded toddler at a pinata party.

They have won one playoff game since Brett Favre limped off the Superdome field.

The question Vikings ownership will face if the Vikings lose is: What do you do with a leadership team that succeeds in the regular season but not the playoffs?

Over the past three years, only five NFL teams have more regular-season victories than the Vikings’ 31: New Orleans (37), New England (36), Kansas City (34), Baltimore (33) and the Rams (33).

Zimmer’s winning percentage is .599. That won’t get him into the Hall of Fame, but it’s better than Pete Carroll’s career .596 winning percentage, and not far off Andy Reid’s .618.

"

This is the rub, if we lose.

Because if we lose, it is pretty much fact: there will be zero reason to ever expect the Vikings to be different, if we keep doing it the same.

It's always a huge gamble, and can seem like a very stupid risk, to pull the trigger on trashing what is something that works pretty darn well, simply to chase after the hope of something better.

Top Bottom