2019 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

If they don't overturn this, change the $%% rule back.

Their trained to slide. But he wasn't even close and could have gone 2 more yards easily.

I know that they're trained to slide, brains, but it's third down. 31 of 32 quarterbacks in the league put thier heads down to get the first on that play. He probably could have dove and wouldn't have been hit regardless.

I know that they're trained to slide, brains, but it's third down. 31 of 32 quarterbacks in the league put thier heads down to get the first on that play. He probably could have dove and wouldn't have been hit regardless.

He also could have run 3 more yards before sliding. I think it was more about him massively miscalculating where he was on the field that him being a "pussy" but whatever. A bad screw up either way.

He also could have run 3 more yards before sliding. I think it was more about him massively miscalculating where he was on the field that him being a "pussy" but whatever. A bad screw up either way.

The quarterback absolutely should know where the first down marker is. I think he didn't want to get hit.

This will probably be the game that keeps us out of the play-offs. Almost have to win at Dallas next week now.

That was a terrible fourth quarter. Bad play calling, execution, etc.

We threw that game away.

That was a terrible fourth quarter. Bad play calling, execution, etc.

We threw that game away.

The Vikings under Zimmer have displayed this trait over and over again. Time for him to go.

This will probably be the game that keeps us out of the play-offs. Almost have to win at Dallas next week now.
Must win against Dallas next week, but it's a prime time game, so... well you know what will happen. Ack!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The Vikings under Zimmer have displayed this trait over and over again. Time for him to go.

And get who? The next Matt Patricia, Matt Nagy or Vic Fangio? I know Zim can be frustrating, but if we fired him he'd immediately be at the top of every other teams' list. That should tell you something. Start with Spielman. Let the new GM decide on the coaches after next season.

Last edited:

Must win against Dallas next week, but it's a prime time game, so... well you know what will happen. Ack!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hopefully he can break the trend. Cousins wasn't great today, but he wasn't the reason they lost. 3 TD's. 94 rating. The D giving up a 91 yard touchdown and missing an EP were bigger issues.

And get who? The next Matt Patricia, Matt Nagy or Vic Fangio? I know Zim can be frustrating, but if we fired him he'd immediately be at the top of every other teams' list. That should tell you something.

I think that just tells me that most NFL head coaches are a dime a dozen/replaceable, and that only a select few are truly exceptional and elite. Zimmer is, unfortunately, not elite; or at least not elite enough to put the talented Vikings roster into the Super Bowl.

Last edited:

And get who? The next Matt Patricia, Matt Nagy or Vic Fangio? I know Zim can be frustrating, but if we fired him he'd immediately be at the top of every other teams' list. That should tell you something. Start with Spielman. Let the new GM decide on the coaches after next season.

Right on. Zimmer has his issues, but the more problematic issues are inconsistency at QB and Rick “how can I blow more draft capital on kickers I don’t keep” Spielman.

Competent head coaches don’t grow on trees. I’m not going to proclaim Zim as a transcendent coach, but if the alternative is another Childress or Frazier, I’ll stick with Zim.

Right on. Zimmer has his issues, but the more problematic issues are inconsistency at QB and Rick “how can I blow more draft capital on kickers I don’t keep” Spielman.

Competent head coaches don’t grow on trees. I’m not going to proclaim Zim as a transcendent coach, but if the alternative is another Childress or Frazier, I’ll stick with Zim.

Isn't that drafted kicker is doing very well these days? Also, I think the problems run far deeper than drafting kickers; rather the lack of paying attention to the offensive line. I agree with you guys that Zim is far better than Chilly or Frazier. But he's kind of like Jerry Burns or Denny Green. Good enough not to fire, but not good enough to get to the Super Bowl.

Isn't that drafted kicker is doing very well these days? Also, I think the problems run far deeper than drafting kickers; rather the lack of paying attention to the offensive line. I agree with you guys that Zim is far better than Chilly or Frazier. But he's kind of like Jerry Burns or Denny Green. Good enough not to fire, but not good enough to get to the Super Bowl.

10 coaches of the current 32 have been to the Super Bowl and at least one of them is about to be fired. And I'd take Zim over Gruden, Ron Rivera, etc. There's a lot more bad coaches than good ones, I'd put Zimmer in the upper half. Spielman should be the first fired.

Last edited:

10 coaches of the current 32 have been to the Super Bowl and at least one of them is about to be fired. And I'd take Zim over Gruden, Ron Rivera, etc. There's a lot more bad coaches than good ones, I'd put Zimmer in the upper half. Spielman should be the first fired.

I'm probably just over-emotional today as I came to the realization that, once again, as in all but two times in my life, the big four Minnesota pro sports teams will fail to win a title, keeping Minnesota fans as the most downtrodden in the nation. And as for the Vikings, their window is probably closing rather than opening, which makes this year's failure that much more depressing.

I'm probably just over-emotional today as I came to the realization that, once again, as in all but two times in my life, the big four Minnesota pro sports teams will fail to win a title, keeping Minnesota fans as the most downtrodden in the nation. And as for the Vikings, their window is probably closing rather than opening, which makes this year's failure that much more depressing.

I'm not sure it's really closing. They should have gotten rid of Rhodes before he was cooked and probably Barr and spent that $ on the O line. But there's still a lot of young talent with Cook, Theilen, Diggs, Hunter and Kendricks, etc.

Zimmer blew it today. Critical error on the Chiefs last possession. We manage a ten yard sack on first down and then Zimmer completely gets outcoached. Letting the Chiefs line Kelce up across from Mackensie Alexander was a major oversight. Kelce is 6'5" 260lbs. Alexander is 5'10 190lbs. No wonder they were able to throw it to his inside shoulder for an easy 17 yard pickup right afterwards. All he had to do was box Alexander out. Complete mismatch.

I agree. I want Zimmer here as long as he wants to be. Spielman needs to go.

Zimmer is a good defensive man. Vikings have always had a mediocre to bad defense until Zimmer got here. Yes hes not perfect, but at least we can get stops on a consistent basis. He also gets players to play for him and appears to have their respect, which is not an easy thing.

Zimmer blew it today. Critical error on the Chiefs last possession. We manage a ten yard sack on first down and then Zimmer completely gets outcoached. Letting the Chiefs line Kelce up across from Mackensie Alexander was a major oversight. Kelce is 6'5" 260lbs. Alexander is 5'10 190lbs. No wonder they were able to throw it to his inside shoulder for an easy 17 yard pickup right afterwards. All he had to do was box Alexander out. Complete mismatch.

There could've been a blown assignment on defense.

Or it's also possible that Andy Reid/whoever their OC is, are pretty darn good offensive strategists/playcallers.

I believe the box score is wrong, I am pretty sure Elflein had a few sacks of Cousins! Having him as our starting guard is pretty pathetic. He cannot pass block period.

I think putting a bigger safety on Kelce would have been a better matchup for sure. Even 6-2 Holton Hill coming of suspension would have been better.

I believe the box score is wrong, I am pretty sure Elflein had a few sacks of Cousins! Having him as our starting guard is pretty pathetic. He cannot pass block period.

I think putting a bigger safety on Kelce would have been a better matchup for sure. Even 6-2 Holton Hill coming of suspension would have been better.

They need to bench Rhodes for Hill and Elflein for Isadora.

There could've been a blown assignment on defense.

Or it's also possible that Andy Reid/whoever their OC is, are pretty darn good offensive strategists/playcallers.

It wasn't a blown assignment. A blown assignment would have had Kelce wide open. He was covered by an under-sized CB.

And there's no question that Andy Reid is a very good offensive mind. There's a reason why he's been coaching in the league for as long as he has been. But you'd think that Zimmer....who's been highly thought of as a defensive coach....would recognize this mismatch at this crucial point in the game and call a timeout.

Oh....and KFC....this is an OTB post....but not a political thread. Not sure if this is against the rules. Let me know and I'll refrain from the Vikings/T-Wolves threads.

It wasn't a blown assignment. A blown assignment would have had Kelce wide open. He was covered by an under-sized CB.

And there's no question that Andy Reid is a very good offensive mind. There's a reason why he's been coaching in the league for as long as he has been. But you'd think that Zimmer....who's been highly thought of as a defensive coach....would recognize this mismatch at this crucial point in the game and call a timeout.

Oh....and KFC....this is an OTB post....but not a political thread. Not sure if this is against the rules. Let me know and I'll refrain from the Vikings/T-Wolves threads.

There should be a separate Pro Sports forum, then rename the OTB what it is, a politics forum.

Not all forms of help come in the form of a direct double team. There could have been a D lineman assigned to drop back and block a passing lane, for instance.

Whew. Between the Gophers and Vikings endings I may have lost a few months off my life, but it was worth it.

Top Bottom