2019 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

There obviously is a defensible argument or he'd be on every top 5 list ever. If you happened to search for some of those lists you'd see he probably isn't even on all the top 10 lists and he definitely isn't on most top 5 lists. All the stats you mentioned are all just padded because of the team he's been on and the system they run. He's had sh!tty defenses and has been forced his whole career to go out and win games in the 4th qtr while other QBs like manning and brady enjoyed the leads they built up and could sit back in the 4th qtr. And you are using stats that are more important in todays game than they were even just 20 years ago.

It's pretty easy to complete short passes with only 1 ring on your finger.

And for the record I'd also argue Brady as the GOAT.

It's for another argument, but it's crazy to think that Brady could be considered greatest quarterback of all time in the NFL, and not even in the top 300/400/500 (just throwing those numbers out there) in college football.

LOL. Top 15 sure. Top 10 maybe, you could definitely argue it and make a case. Top 5, laughable. I mean you are talking ever right? All time? Not just in the league right now?

I would argue that Brady is #1, and it's pretty easy to defend that, but Brees is closer to #1 than #5 and it's not close. There's no defensible argument that he's not in the top 5.

The argument for Brees being a top-5 QB slides if he never had won a Super Bowl. He'd have never have won a Super Bowl without Bounty Gate, and without the referees favoring the Saints in the NFC title game. Given that, Brees' one Super Bowl win is heavily tainted, and arguably should be removed altogether. Is Brees an all-time great, and worthy of consideration among the all-time greats? Sure. Top-5 in a bunch of statistics? Sure. But all of those great stats have also come after the passing era in the NFL came of age. There are a lot of modern QBs who are accumulating at the top of the all-time passing statistics leaderboards. I personally find leadership and winning to be as important as statistics when it comes to all-time-greatest QBs.

So is Brees a top-5 all-time QB? eh... I'm not convinced.

Last edited:

I would argue that Brady is #1, and it's pretty easy to defend that, but Brees is closer to #1 than #5 and it's not close. There's no defensible argument that he's not in the top 5.

Good lord you are looney and self-absorbed. I can think of more than 5 off the top of my head.

Try normalizing stats by era and compare. You're aren't smart enough to figure that out. Nevermind.

Go back to the Oreos and Doritos.

It's for another argument, but it's crazy to think that Brady could be considered greatest quarterback of all time in the NFL, and not even in the top 300/400/500 (just throwing those numbers out there) in college football.

Agreed, the bigger debate with Brady is whether Brady really turned out to be that good or if Belichick is really that good. I honestly hope when Brady retires so does Bill so we never know.

Statistically, Brees is top 5, but overall, I would put Elway, Manning, Montana, Marino and Brady ahead of him.

The argument for Brees being a top-5 QB slides if he never had won a Super Bowl. He'd have never have won a Super Bowl without Bounty Gate, and without the referees favoring the Saints in the NFC title game. Given that, Brees' one Super Bowl win is heavily tainted, and arguably should be removed altogether. Is Brees an all-time great, and worthy of consideration among the all-time greats? Sure. Top-5 in a bunch of statistics? Sure. But all of those great stats have also come after the passing era in the NFL came of age. There are a lot of modern QBs who are accumulating at the top of the all-time passing statistics leaderboards. I personally find leadership and winning to be as important as statistics when it comes to all-time-greatest QBs.

So is Brees a top-5 all-time QB? eh... I'm not convinced.

You are really jaded by that loss to the Saints.

Isn't every vikings fan?

Not to that degree.
Let's move on already. That was a decade ago.
I didn't like the officiating in that game but it was an epic game and to be honest, probably one of the last great football games where hitting was allowed.

We sound like a bunch of whiners (and some of us are) when we act like the rest of the nation doesn't acknowledge that Super Bowl victory for the Saints.

Not to that degree.
Let's move on already. That was a decade ago.
I didn't like the officiating in that game but it was an epic game and to be honest, probably one of the last great football games where hitting was allowed.

We sound like a bunch of whiners (and some of us are) when we act like the rest of the nation doesn't acknowledge that Super Bowl victory for the Saints.

The minneapolis miracle was a nice little pay back that felt pretty good, we totally should not have won that game just like the Saints shouldn't have won and gone to the super bowl.

Every franchise has games like this that live on and are always talked about. My buddies and I still yell "wide left" whenever someone misses something left (out golfing and missing the green left or a drive left of the fairway etc). The saints game and bounty gate is just one of those games.

Vikings o line gave up zero sacks and led the way for over 200 rush yards in the preseason game! Qb's passed for 247 yards and 3 td's. Preseason you'd rather look good than bad and we looked good on offense.

Hercules has a sack and 2 tfl. Can he really play DT at 255 lbs?

Back to the vikings. Traded for a kicker?

The guy has potential, no doubt about it. We'll see if it works out.

Meanwhile, Daniel Carlson is looking like the most fortunate pickup in the world for the Raiders. Carlson was fantastic for the Raiders last year and could be their kicker for the foreseeable future. It seemed like the appropriate move for the Vikings to cut bait with him at the time, given the goals the team still had for the season, but MAN, it's looking like a mistake now.

The guy has potential, no doubt about it. We'll see if it works out.

Meanwhile, Daniel Carlson is looking like the most fortunate pickup in the world for the Raiders. Carlson was fantastic for the Raiders last year and could be their kicker for the foreseeable future. It seemed like the appropriate move for the Vikings to cut bait with him at the time, given the goals the team still had for the season, but MAN, it's looking like a mistake now.

It's OK. We just traded a 5th round pick to the Ravens for a guy who's a kicker AND a punter. Or either. Or possibly neither. Zimm had Dan Bailey holding for FG's today. Um...what? Just bring back Kai Forbath already and call it a day.

It's OK. We just traded a 5th round pick to the Ravens for a guy who's a kicker AND a punter. Or either. Or possibly neither. Zimm had Dan Bailey holding for FG's today. Um...what? Just bring back Kai Forbath already and call it a day.

The kicking game will forever be a distraction for Zim and he'll have nightmares about it until the day he dies.

The kicking game will forever be a distraction for Zim and he'll have nightmares about it until the day he dies.

We hired a kicking game coordinator to keep Zim away from them. I guess it didn't work.

Sid: Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski continues to impress his first boss in the NFL

Kevin Stefanski’s rise with the Vikings has taken him from being a coaches assistant in 2006 to offensive coordinator in January at age 37.

One person not surprised about that climb is former Vikings head coach Brad Childress, who hired Stefanski for that first job 13 years ago.

“[Stefanski] had been a training camp intern for us up in Lehigh with the Philadelphia Eagles,” said Childress, who was a quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator with the Eagles from 1999-2005. “I knew him as a player at the University of Pennsylvania [where Stefanski was a defensive back], and he impressed me with the way he carried himself during training camp. I made that mental note that if I was to get a job, he was graduating and that I would tap him to come and be my personal assistant because he was a captain at Penn.

“He’s a sharp guy, obviously. His dad and he have been involved in athletics his whole life. I thought you couldn’t find a better guy who is not going to be starry-eyed around athletes.”

Stefanski’s father, Ed, was a former NBA player and executive with the Grizzlies, Raptors, 76ers and Nets, and currently is a senior adviser to Pistons owner Tom Gores.

What were Stefanski’s duties when he worked for Childress?

“Organized schedules, organized training camp and spring camp, the OTAs, and then our whole training camp schedule — we did that line by line by line, so we know every drill,” Childress said. “… Then the biggest communications were when we needed to get together as a staff, or I need you to get this person or I need to talk to that person, he was able to go find those people and communicate with Rick [Spielman, the Vikings’ general manager] and everybody else.

“The steady stream of people that come through to see the head coach — he really had to communicate with everybody in the building — whether it was [Vikings vice president of football operations] Rob Brzezinski or [owners Zygi and Mark Wilf] or the people in the training room or the strength area or the coaches, he did all of that for me.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...-impress-his-first-boss-in-the-nfl/545548392/

Skol Vikes!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Skol Vikes!!

Got up this morning. opened up espn.com to check Twins' box score. first thing I see is a headline: "Cousins may have torn ACL."

My first thought - the Vikes are screwed.

Click on the article, and it's Boogie Cousins from the NBA.

heart rate returns to normal.

Sid: Kyle Rudolph ready to lead dynamic group of Vikings tight ends

The Vikings will return to U.S. Bank Stadium on Sunday to face Seattle in their second preseason game. It’s their first game at home since a deflating 24-10 loss to Chicago in their final regular-season game last year ended their playoff chances.

That loss led to huge changes, and none will be more apparent than the Vikings’ revamped offense under coordinator Kevin Stefanski and assistant head coach Gary Kubiak.

One thing that has been said from Day 1 of minicamp was that the offense was going to focus heavily on tight end formations.

And that’s a big reason why the Vikings went out and spent $36 million on a four-year deal to bring back Kyle Rudolph and also used the No. 50 overall pick to draft Irv Smith Jr. out of Alabama in the second round.

The results showed in their first preseason game against New Orleans last week. The tight end group accounted for nine receptions and 123 yards as Rudolph caught two passes for 30 yards, Smith caught three passes for 21 yards, Tyler Conklin caught two passes for 56 yards, Cole Hikutini caught one pass for 12 yards and Brandon Dillon caught one pass for 4 yards.

That figures to be something to watch all season for the Purple.

“The best thing about our new offense is it really plays to the strengths of not only our offensive line but to all of our skill players, as well,” Rudolph said. “You know we’ll definitely be involved in the pass game and our role is as complete as I think it has ever been in terms of we’re called upon in run blocking, we’re called upon in pass protection, but we’re also called upon to make big plays in the pass game, as well.”

http://www.startribune.com/kyle-rudolph-ready-to-lead-dynamic-group-of-vikings-tight-ends/550138862/

Skol Vikes!!

Butterfingers still at QB. Awesome!

Treadwell looked better than Beebe this evening.

Sloter seems like he should win the back-up QB job. I don't see any upside with Mannion.

I like the running game, attitude, and the play action of this offense. Feel the offense is actually looking better than the defense so far.

I like the running game, attitude, and the play action of this offense. Feel the offense is actually looking better than the defense so far.

Defense needs the starting DT's back in a big way. (pun intended) Zim's defense is predicated in part on the DT's being able to clog up the middle and free the DE's and LB's to make plays. so, until they get all the starters back on the field, I wouldn't worry too much.

We lost our best DT in Richardson in the off-season. I am worried about the defense. That and the injuries/suspension of the db's.

It looks like the offense is moving up like we hoped and the defense may not return to form. But yes this is all based on preseason.

I'm still worried about our OL first and foremost. But the defense (specifically the DTs and CB depth) could be a a serious problem this year.

Sid: Vikings' Adam Thielen driven by victories, not statistics

If you want one reason why Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins struggled in a 20-9 preseason victory over Arizona on Saturday, completing only three of 13 passes for 35 yards, you can look to the absence of wide receiver Adam Thielen, who was a healthy scratch.

And after the game, coach Mike Zimmer said that there’s no doubt this team will have to play with more urgency if it is to succeed this season.

Thielen undoubtedly will play a big part of that. Statistically, his first half last season was one of the best stretches of wide receiver play in NFL history. The undrafted Minnesota State Mankato product recorded over 100 yards receiving in each of the Vikings’ first eight games and totaled 925 yards on 74 receptions to go along with six scores.

The second half of 2018 was a different story. Thielen broke 100 yards in a game only once and finished with 448 yards receiving on 39 receptions.

Oddly, that drop-off didn’t change the Vikings’ record much: They were 4-3-1 in their first eight games and 4-4 in their last eight.

The 29-year-old from Detroit Lakes said that as he prepares for his fifth NFL season, the only numbers he is concerned about are wins and losses.

“It depends on how you define success, if you define it by yards and catches, then yes you’re right [the second half was worse]. But we don’t worry about that,” he said. “We go out there and work our tail off and we’re going to try to get open and we’re going to try to help this team win games. We obviously didn’t do a good enough job of doing that, because we didn’t win those games when they mattered.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-adam-thielen-driven-by-victories-not-statistics/558145652/

Skol Vikes!!

First team struggles, but Vikings edge Cardinals 20-9 in third preseason game

The predictive value of preseason football on an NFL regular season is largely unknown, and if the Vikings’ next game at U.S. Bank Stadium — their Week 1 matchup with the Atlanta Falcons — is a crisp and impressive performance, their struggles on Saturday against the Arizona Cardinals will be a distant memory.

On Saturday, though, after the Vikings’ starters slogged through their third preseason game — a contest the team eventually won 20-9 over the Cardinals — the performance was sour enough to earn an unsparing critique from coach Mike Zimmer.

“I felt like there wasn’t much energy,” Zimmer said. “Defensively, we didn’t rush the passer well. We had guys not going to the huddle defensively, so they don’t know the call. Offensively, we had dropped balls, penalties, a bunch of three-and-outs. We missed two field goals. It was really a poor performance, and we need to play a lot better than that if we’re going to win football games.”

http://www.startribune.com/first-te...inals-20-9-in-third-preseason-game/558135082/

Skol Vikes!!

Top Bottom