2019 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

That's why you don't ever draft a kicker you dummy. You can find great ones all the time without using draft picks.

My grades for Spielman era draft picks by position.

QB: F
RB: C
WR: C
OL: D
DL: B
LB: B+
DB: B
PK: D

Isn't it ironic that the Vikings have a defensive minded HC and the defensive draft picks have been on average better that the offensive draft picks?

I would say the scouting of offensive players is their weakness and when you want to score points that is a turrible, turrible thing to have.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OK, but... I've thought about this a little more, and I think people reflexively criticize Spielmann. What he did was draft a talented place kicker who's now on an NFL roster and doing very well. He could very well end up in the Pro Bowl at some point. That sounds like a good personnel move to me.

If you want to spend a 7th round pick in a kicker, fine. But anything higher than that is almost always a waste, even if they turn out, like Janikowski, who the Raiders used a 1st rounder on.

The Vikings screwed the kicker situation up bad. Forbath was better than fine. In the NFC Divisional game that we still needed the "miracle" in order to win.....Forbath hit a 53 yard field goal with about a minute and a half remaining in the game to put the Vikings up 23-21. Considering our history of kickers choking under pressure.....we got rid of a guy that hit a long field goal in a clutch moment of a playoff game.

There was absolutely no reason to draft Carlson.

Agreed. Although I do find it odd that no one has signed Forbath since. I've heard various radio guys talk about how he was a weird dude. But as long as he makes his kicks, who cares?

Vikings bringing back Laquon Treadwell, Marcus Sherels with Chad Beebe injured

With receiver Chad Beebe out because of torn ligaments in his ankle, the Vikings reached back into their recent past Tuesday and called on two players to take his place before Sunday’s game in Chicago.

The Vikings are bringing back Laquon Treadwell, the 2016 first-round pick who was released at the end of training camp, and Marcus Sherels, the team’s career leading punt returner they let walk this spring.

Treadwell, who’d had several workouts but hadn’t signed with another team, returns as the Vikings’ fourth healthy receiver with Beebe being placed on injured reserve. Sherels, who also had been a free agent, could be returning punts again as soon as Sunday.

And both could stay awhile in their comebacks. Beebe tore ligaments in his ankle while blocking for tight end Irv Smith Jr. during Sunday’s 34-14 victory over the Raiders, according to an NFL source, and will be out a minimum of eight weeks. Beebe is not planning to have surgery for now, the source said.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-punt-returner-chad-beebe-has-torn-ligaments-in-ankle/561225232/

Skol Vikes!!

I'm happy about Sherels.

Why would you bring back Treadwell? Go get anybody else...

Who cares. Take a chance on someone new. You already know Treadwell sucks.

He's the 4th WR on a team that almost never uses even a 3rd WR, let alone a 4th. If disaster happens and either Thielen or Diggs are hurt, they will start Bisi Johnson and/or seek out yet another WR at that time who they think they can trust. Irv Smith is the de facto 3rd WR right now and it is unlikely Treadwell will ever see the field in any meaningful capacity unless Johnson and Smith are both hurt. They also signed Sherels to cover Beebe's return responsibilities. Treadwell is a warm body who can play in an absolute emergency situation and the Vikings were already paying him for this season anyway. It's a non-issue.

Who cares. Take a chance on someone new. You already know Treadwell sucks.

They needed someone on short notice. Depending on how long Doctson/Bebee are out, it could be a 1-2 week thing and then they bring in someone else. There's a few ex-Broncos floating around that could probably pick up the offense quickly too.

Honest question for the brain trust here on Gopherhole: what is the point of paying Thielen, Diggs, Cousins, and Rudolph big money if your offensive philosophy is to use them as little as possible? If you don't want to pass, then why not redistribute your resources to enhance your run game?

Zimmer's and Spielman's roster construction of this team is awful.

We Vikings fans are Rubes if we believe that Cousins, Zimmer and Spielmen are dping their best for the money that they are paid.

Spielman needs to be the first to go. He has no clue how to construct a team, especially an OL.

Spielman needs to be the first to go. He has no clue how to construct a team, especially an OL.
He didn't in Miami, why should this time around be different.

Unless I missed one, this team has drafted 6 QBs over the past 20 years. That doesn't make a lot of sense for a team that is perpetually in need of a quality QB.

Spielman has been exceptionally horrible at not bringing in QB's to challenge his anointed starter.

He's simply bad at being a GM.

People like to point at how he found Thielen but in fact that should be more of a criticism of Rick than a compliment.

Just so everyone knows, I'm okay.
f57e347ec61998059cd241e391fb90c6.jpg

I think it's really hard for many Vikings fans to realize this is really just an average team with below average coaching and management.

Everyone knows that Spielman is just a stinky b1tch.

I think it's really hard for many Vikings fans to realize this is really just an average team with below average coaching and management.

Just a below average offensive line. Average or better than average everywhere else.

25th best offensive line according to pff and tha's after overdrafting a run blocking center in the first round, who had a 2nd or 3rd round grade, when a pass blocking left tackle Dillard was available.

People can blame Spielman, Cousins, or the OL, and all deserve some blame, but Zimmer gets an F for yesterday. After the first possession, it was easy for everyone to see that Chicago was going to stack the box. His stubbornness cost the Vikings yesterday. When runs up the middle are getting stuffed every time, you need to try something else. Stefanski is technically calling the plays, but Zimmer is absolutely in his ear. If you are going to stubbornly run the ball no matter what, then you might as well cut Diggs and Thielen and use the money on the OL.

Last edited:

The question now becomes - how bad does it have to get for Wilf to make significant changes?

8-8
7-9
6-10?

I get a sense that something is just out of sync between the front office and the coaches. Granted, there are considerations that the fans may not realize, but when any drunk in a bar can look at the game through bleary eyes and say "their line s*cks," why can't the GM and scouts locate and draft some better linemen - or make a trade, or sign some free agents.

As long as Zimmer is HC, I just think that the first move will always be to help the defense, and we're seeing the results.

25th best offensive line according to pff and tha's after overdrafting a run blocking center in the first round, who had a 2nd or 3rd round grade, when a pass blocking left tackle Dillard was available.

Maybe we should have spent the 88 million on an offensive line. An average quarterback looks good behind a great line. A better than average one, usually looks bad behind a bad line.

Maybe we should have spent the 88 million on an offensive line. An average quarterback looks good behind a great line. A better than average one, usually looks bad behind a bad line.

And if you do spend all that money on a QB, he better be good. Spielman should be fired for that alone

Top Bottom