James Snyder: I Still Think P.J. Fleck Would Be Better Off In the MAC

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Snyder:

P.J. Fleck might be on the precipice of big things in the B1G Ten. After leaving our beloved Western Michigan Broncos, he has a mediocre year at Minnesota. The following year, he was slightly above mediocre and then he won his bowl game. There is a solid chance he is setting things up for success with the Golden Gophers.

I think he might have still had more success in Kalamazoo.

Going 7-6 at Minnesota is nice, and there is a chance he could win 9 or even 10 games this season. He still isn’t going to compete for a national title at Minnesota. While that might be a bit brighter than recent history, the Gophers have more national titles than the vast majority of programs. With an extended run of winning seasons, he has a chance of mimicking the success of Glen Mason. For what? A few extra bucks? Better opportunity?

If P.J. Fleck stayed at Western Michigan, he could have broken glass ceilings. He could have done things never done before. Opportunities at other schools would have still been there, provided he kept winning.

Right before he left, I wrote a “letter” begging him to stay. Not because I am a WMU fan, I am not, but because I thought it would be good for him, and good for the conference. Two years later, nothing has changed my mind.

https://www.hustlebelt.com/2019/7/2...hink-p-j-fleck-would-be-better-off-in-the-mac

Go Gophers!!

The counter argument to this guy would be Boise State, and UCF, in better leagues. An undefeated MAC team will never make the CFB, even if they beat four P5 schools in the non con

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The counter argument to this guy would be Boise State, and UCF, in better leagues. An undefeated MAC team will never make the CFB, even if they beat four P5 schools in the non con

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Well they could had they beat the right four teams. Oklahoma, Ohio St, Alabama and Clemson. But good luck getting those 4 on your schedule and good luck beating them all...

Trash article is trash.

per Snyder:

P.J. Fleck might be on the precipice of big things in the B1G Ten. After leaving our beloved Western Michigan Broncos, he has a mediocre year at Minnesota. The following year, he was slightly above mediocre and then he won his bowl game. There is a solid chance he is setting things up for success with the Golden Gophers.

Going 7-6 at Minnesota is nice, and there is a chance he could win 9 or even 10 games this season. He still isn’t going to compete for a national title at Minnesota. While that might be a bit brighter than recent history, the Gophers have more national titles than the vast majority of programs. With an extended run of winning seasons, he has a chance of mimicking the success of Glen Mason. For what? A few extra bucks? Better opportunity?

If P.J. Fleck stayed at Western Michigan, he could have broken glass ceilings. He could have done things never done before. Opportunities at other schools would have still been there, provided he kept winning.

Right before he left, I wrote a “letter” begging him to stay. Not because I am a WMU fan, I am not, but because I thought it would be good for him, and good for the conference. Two years later, nothing has changed my mind.

https://www.hustlebelt.com/2019/7/2...hink-p-j-fleck-would-be-better-off-in-the-mac

Go Gophers!!

Good research buddy

Potentially the dumbest, most asinine article I’ve seen from a fish wrap- which is saying a lot considering the offerings from the twin cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winning 10 games in the Big Ten anywhere other than Ohio State or possibly Michigan is really hard to do. This writer makes it seem like 13-0 is the only meaningful goal and it’s only achievable at a small handful of national powers or by beating up on third tier MAC schools year after year.

Winning 10 games in the Big Ten anywhere other than Ohio State or possibly Michigan is really hard to do. This writer makes it seem like 13-0 is the only meaningful goal and it’s only achievable at a small handful of national powers or by beating up on third tier MAC schools year after year.

Winning games is something Mason achieved, and only one game better than what Claeys did in his only full season. Assuming we think there are better coaches than those two out there, 10 is very doable.

Saying " He still isn’t going to compete for a national title at Minnesota" is like me saying he wouldn't have ever been able to take Western Michigan to a New Year's Six bowl game. Nothing ever happens, until it happens.

Also, somehow an impossible National Championship could be the only dream at MN but not so at Western Michigan? I'd say anyone would agree that no matter how unlikely it would be for MN, it would be far tougher to accomplish at Western Michigan.

And, for those keeping score, the Gophers have won just as many national championships in the playoff era as Michigan, Florida, Penn State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and USC - COMBINED!

per Snyder:

Go Gophers!!

With an article like this, it's shocking that he's not on the StarTrib staff... The sditors there must be salivating to hire this guy.

per Snyder:

Go Gophers!!

This seems a bit like sour grapes, but it also shows a lack of understanding of what the Minnesota football program has been the last 50 years.

With an article like this, it's shocking that he's not on the StarTrib staff... The sditors there must be salivating to hire this guy.

This might be his motivation. To land a job in a Big Ten City. This article is very Bob Sansevere-ish.

(I'm not sure if Bob writes anything anymore. Haven't read a paper for a while).

The writer contradicts their own point. They claim there is a meaningful non-national championship “glass ceiling” to break at WMU. Which is unique to him.

Then he proceeds to talk about how the absolute max for Minnesota is 9-10 wins. Which in itself is a meaningful, non-national championship “glass ceiling” to break.

Jealousy. While Fleck has moved on in his life. The writer continues to live a boring life.

Its just a delusion from a butt hurt writer who knows that he has to cover a team that will never make headlines again. Its honestly not even worth giving him clicks.

Top Bottom