Minnesota’s 3M Arena at Mariucci to undergo upcoming renovation projects

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per USCHO:

The University of Minnesota Board of Regents recently approved a renovation project for 3M Arena at Mariucci with over 11,000 square feet of team space impacted, including a state-of-the-art weight room, a remodeled office suite and the introduction of a new ‘M’ Club alumni room.

The school has partnered with Mortenson Construction and JLG Architects for the upcoming project, which will be funded entirely through private donations.

“This is an exciting time for our program, and we are really looking forward to the opportunities these new team areas will provide for current, future and former Gophers,” said Minnesota hockey coach Bob Motzko in a statement. “Between this project and the new locker room area beneath it, there’s no question there is going to be a wow factor when you walk into the rink. You can’t help but feel a buzz and want to be part of this program. We can’t express enough appreciation for everyone who has supported this project and worked tirelessly to see it become a reality later this year.”

The weight room will renovate 6,700 square feet of strength training area on the first floor of 3M Arena at Mariucci, allowing Minnesota student-athletes to maximize their potential through training, weight training and skill development. Included in the project will be the introduction of a new shooting area to be utilized by both hockey programs.

Adjoined to the weight room will be a 4,560 square-foot space that features the new ‘M” Club alumni room as well as the office suite. The area will also serve as a multi-purpose space for the Gopher hockey program and the department of athletics including recruiting and alumni events.

https://www.uscho.com/2019/07/21/mi...ucci-to-undergo-upcoming-renovation-projects/

Go Gophers!!

All sounds great. However I'm not seeing anything about making the rink smaller like it should be.

All sounds great. However I'm not seeing anything about making the rink smaller like it should be.

Excellent point! Yes that was discussed a lot in other threads regarding renovation. I hope it happens.

How is rink reduction accomplished without redoing the entire bowl?

Wouldn't that take a season of construction?

How is rink reduction accomplished without redoing the entire bowl?

Wouldn't that take a season of construction?

I'm not so sure if this is going to ever happen. Fans keep bringing it up, but I don't hear much about it from the Gophers.

What are the pros and cons of a smaller rink? I like the big rink now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are the pros and cons of a smaller rink? I like the big rink now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not really a puck head,, but I've heard a few variations on the following. All NCAA tourney games are played on a regular size rink and it takes some adjustment for the team to play on that after practicing and playing on the big ice. Also, Motzgo likes a physical grinding, wear them down style (not sure if that is true), and the big rink lends itself to more free skating and kids being "cute". Finally, the current trend is going towards regular (NHL) style rinks. Seems no one is going with Olympic style anymore. May be some combination of above.

It is more exciting hockey. These kids want to make the NHL. It needs to happen ASAP.

Congrats Louie!

Now back to the task at hand - raising money to pay off the Athlete's Village.

It is more exciting hockey. These kids want to make the NHL. It needs to happen ASAP.
Gophs players don't make it to the NHL? The rink size is fine and only seems to come up when the team is struggling.

Gophs players don't make it to the NHL? The rink size is fine and only seems to come up when the team is struggling.
It could impact high end players' decision on where to play college hockey.

It could impact high end players' decision on where to play college hockey.
Highly, highly doubt it. Hasn't in the past so I really don't get this point...it is a red herring. Gophs just need to get back to winning 25+ games a year and a couple rounds in the tourney and they will get any player they want.

Gophers used to be built to play on the big rink. Fast players, great passing and the overall player skill made the big rink an advantage over slower teams that wanted to grind it out and found it difficult to slow down the Gophers. Woog probably requested the Olympic size. After all, when a faster team came in they could just turn the heat up and slow them down in the slosh like they did when Tony Hrkac and company came to town.

St. Cloud's rink is large and they seem to have issues playing at the end of the year on smaller rinks and so do we. Why wouldn't it cause recruits to look elsewhere?

Top Bottom