Mark Coyle on 'the Sports Huddle' - Sunday, July 21

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher AD Mark Coyle was on the Sports Huddle on WCCO radio Sunday.

(please note - I was riding my exercise bike during the interview, so this is from memory. answers are shortened and/or paraphrased. also in no particular order)

Q - impressions of New U of M President Gable?
A - have talked to her. think she will do a great job. has experience at schools in major conferences, so she has been around major college sports.

Q - thoughts on Kevin Warren replacing Delaney as B1G Commissioner?
A - 1st, have to recognize Delaney for what he's done. Warren is a good guy. he'll do a great job.

Q - progress on fund-raising for Athletics Village?
A - we continue to work on fund-raising. The U of MN has also made improvements to facilities for other sports, including wrestling and track. We will work to wrap up fund-raising for Athletes Village. (note - did not give any updated totals)

Q - excited for football season?
A - really excited. Team won 4 of last 5 games last year. players have some time off right now; fall camp starts soon.

Q - rolled out some new ticket-buying plans? what has the response been?
A - glad you mentioned the new Gopher Pass. we have a fan committee, try to get feedback from fans. also made some other changes in football season-ticket prices. Working to sell tickets for this season.

Q - season-opener on a Thursday night - work with State Fair?
A - I like the Thursday night opener. can cross-promote with State Fair. Freshmen orientation that week, so should have a lot of students at game. SD fans travel well. expect to have a good crowd. Game is always better with a full house.

Q - (Sid) how are season-ticket sales going for football?
A - We're working hard to sell tickets. Have the new Gopher Pass. (note - did not give any specifics on # of tickets sold)

Q - anything new on team switching sidelines late in season?
A - we announced plan last year. will not do it until mid-October, but after that, will consider switching sidelines for Day games only, depending on weather. We will alert the fans at least a week in advance. Big difference in sunny side vs shady side. Vikings used other side when they played at TCF. There was a game last year where visiting side players and coaches were in shirt-sleeves, while Gopher players and coaches were wearing winter jackets.

Q - when coaches bring recruits on campus, do you meet with them?
A - if my schedule allows, I like to meet with recruits and their families. talk about what we expect and what we can offer. try to stress the Twin Cities area as a great place to live and work - job opportunities. I say we want to recruit them to play for 4 years, and spend the next 40 years in the Twin cities.

(note - I know there was a question about comparing the current facilities to other schools. I cannot remember the answer, so it didn't make a big impression on me....)

That's about it from what I can remember. - and Spoof - yes, he did say the FB team won 4 of its last 5 games....

Honest mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently the athletic office does NOT read Gopherhole.

If there was ever someone in that position that would benefit from reading a fan message board, it would be Mark Coyle.

If there was ever someone in that position that would benefit from reading a fan message board, it would be Mark Coyle.

I mean, he could just read Gophersprorts.com...or maybe he and Fleck can't accept that loss to Illinois?

I mean, he could just read Gophersprorts.com...or maybe he and Fleck can't accept that loss to Illinois?

It’s just Athletic Director talk.

I guess I'd like to believe that Fleck just said 4 of 5 once and nobody's corrected him, so he thinks it's true. But it's hard to believe NOBODY has said, "uh, coach, you know how you keep saying 4 out of 5...".

Coyle I would bet has no actual idea and has just heard Fleck say it so many times he believes it. I mean, he has how many other sports to keep track of, I'm sure he couldn't tell you how the last however many games of every sport did.

Or maybe the Illinois loss was so bad they blocked it from their minds and are counting Indiana as the 5th game. :) Or the other theory of counting the Spring game (though I think they were saying that before the Spring game).

It's weird because everyone knows what happened. It's not like they fired Robb Smith for winning. Saying they won 3 of the last 4 after the change or 4 of the last 6 still paints a nice picture for the end of the season. I'm not sure what is gained by saying 4 of 5. Unless it's some marketing thing linking it to the 4 out of 5 dentists recommending Trident(?).

It's kind of embarrassing.

I think he did.
Last year I mentioned on THIS VERY FORUM that Northwestern players were in short sleeves for that game, and our players were huddled in coats on the sideline.
It's obvious that Mark Coyle reads my posts very carefully.

I guess I'd like to believe that Fleck just said 4 of 5 once and nobody's corrected him, so he thinks it's true. But it's hard to believe NOBODY has said, "uh, coach, you know how you keep saying 4 out of 5...".

Coyle I would bet has no actual idea and has just heard Fleck say it so many times he believes it. I mean, he has how many other sports to keep track of, I'm sure he couldn't tell you how the last however many games of every sport did.

Or maybe the Illinois loss was so bad they blocked it from their minds and are counting Indiana as the 5th game. :) Or the other theory of counting the Spring game (though I think they were saying that before the Spring game).

It's weird because everyone knows what happened. It's not like they fired Robb Smith for winning. Saying they won 3 of the last 4 after the change or 4 of the last 6 still paints a nice picture for the end of the season. I'm not sure what is gained by saying 4 of 5. Unless it's some marketing thing linking it to the 4 out of 5 dentists recommending Trident(?).

We didn't win 4 of our last 5?
I thought we did?

It really is bizarre. It's either an outright lie or really blatant carelessness. I guess they figure most people are too dumb (or naive) to realize they are lying. Most casual fans probably hear it and think it's true.

Maybe they're viewing the firing of Robb Smith as a victory...I know I do

It really is bizarre. It's either an outright lie or really blatant carelessness. I guess they figure most people are too dumb (or naive) to realize they are lying. Most casual fans probably hear it and think it's true.

It seems like an odd thing to lie about too if that's what it really is. Anyone can quickly find out if it is correct or not.

We won our spring game by a score of 38-20. That makes it 4 out of the last 5.

Clearly confused. We rolled to a win, just ask Coyle...

... Every time I hear Coyle speak, it reminds me how much I would have liked having Pete Najarian as the AD.

Pete definitely would have been more entertaining.

Last edited:

I’m not buying this either. He said it the first time at the Spring game. In his next interview he said 3 out of 5. I don’t remember when that was but recall posting a joke that he must have read my posts after the Spring game. Ever since then it has been 4 of 5.

We all realize PJ is too intelligent and in the details to not know better. I think, for whatever reason, he and Coyle are intentionally promoting this falsehood.

I have no issues with winning 4 out of 5.

Coyle & Fleck are liars. They’re well known liars. They lie.

Or so I’ve been told over and over and over and over and over....

I’m not buying this either. He said it the first time at the Spring game. In his next interview he said 3 out of 5. I don’t remember when that was but recall posting a joke that he must have read my posts after the Spring game. Ever since then it has been 4 of 5.

We all realize PJ is too intelligent and in the details to not know better. I think, for whatever reason, he and Coyle are intentionally promoting this falsehood.

4 out of 5 is his truth Spoof...everything is relative :cool02::cool02::cool02:

They certainly aren't helping themselves in that respect. You think it's just a continual slip of the tongue?

Every time I hear Coyle speak, it reminds me how much I would have liked having Pete Najarian as the AD.

If this is material for your stand up comedy routine - you need to go back to the drawing board.

If this is serious - you need to have your head examined.

An odd post to make in a thread discussing a specific and undeniable lie they both keep telling.

An odd post to make in a thread discussing a specific and undeniable lie they both keep telling.

Well at the very least they both have their facts wrong and should get them right.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Well at the very least they both have their facts wrong and should get them right.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Given how important the games are to a football season, and that there are only 13 of them, I'd be shocked if Fleck did not know which order those games were played in and who won them. This is a really weird thing to lie about though. First of all, it is easily verifiable (or in this case, disprovable). Second, what is it really helping? Is there a group of fans out there who, at 7-6 but winning 3 of our last 4 would say "I don't think we did so hot," but at 7-6 and winning 4 of our last 5 would say "we finished strong, I think we are on the right track"?

Coyle is both incompetent and dishonest, so I don't know if he really doesn't know or is just lying.

Top Bottom