Fleck identifies 3 key to Minnesota's wins: turnovers, missed tackles, explosive play

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Cleveland.com:

Fleck identifies the key to Minnesota's wins

While reflecting on his team's 7-6 season in 2018, P.J. Fleck picked out the point of emphasis that ended up being the difference between wins and losses.

"We did an NFL study, a collegiate study over the last 50 years directly tied to winning. And we came up with three statistics, and that was the turnover margin is directly related to winning, explosive plays, and then the missed tackles," Fleck said. "And if you can win those, you're going to win 78 percent of the time, right, in terms of how you're able to judge a number of what that means."

He added that the Gophers were 7-0 when they won those three categories and 0-6 when they did not.

https://expo.cleveland.com/sports/g...interesting-things-coaches-said-thursday.html

Go Gophers!!

They made some guys miss on runs a few times on the edge of the line this year and they were critical plays that could have been stopped for little to no gain... or points. Hard to argue with that stat.

I did a similar study. The team that has more points at the end of the fourth quarter wins 100% of the time.

I did a similar study. The team that has more points at the end of the fourth quarter wins 100% of the time.

Not football related, but I just did a study that shows smoking can cause health issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t want to once again be captain obvious but the team gave up roughly, what, 150 less yards per game on defense after the coaching change late October. It looks like explosive plays went from 2nd worst in Oct to 6th in November. I suppose it can be argued and is true missed tackles are part of giving up 300-400 yards in rushing alone...

I don’t want to once again be captain obvious but the team gave up roughly, what, 150 less yards per game on defense after the coaching change late October. It looks like explosive plays went from 2nd worst in Oct to 6th in November. I suppose it can be argued and is true missed tackles are part of giving up 300-400 yards in rushing alone...

Wow! From 2nd worst to 6th in allowing explosive plays!?! That's a shocking stat.

And it becomes even more amazing when you consider that the improvement occurred in the final part of the season, when the Gophers' schedule was arguably tougher.

I really want to forget the illinois game, but that one will haunt me.

Illinois first 2 playes, 78 yard TD runs

Yeah, I think it's just coach speak from Fleck to answer without having to point out publicly the change in DC and thus the scheme, was the biggest factor...maybe the only factor in the improvement.

Wow! From 2nd worst to 6th in allowing explosive plays!?! That's a shocking stat.

And it becomes even more amazing when you consider that the improvement occurred in the final part of the season, when the Gophers' schedule was arguably tougher.

Yes, considering the math had to be one of the best in the conference after the coaching change.

On plays where we miss all tackles, the other team usually scores.

per Cleveland.com:

Fleck identifies the key to Minnesota's wins

While reflecting on his team's 7-6 season in 2018, P.J. Fleck picked out the point of emphasis that ended up being the difference between wins and losses.

"We did an NFL study, a collegiate study over the last 50 years directly tied to winning. And we came up with three statistics, and that was the turnover margin is directly related to winning, explosive plays, and then the missed tackles," Fleck said. "And if you can win those, you're going to win 78 percent of the time, right, in terms of how you're able to judge a number of what that means."

He added that the Gophers were 7-0 when they won those three categories and 0-6 when they did not.

https://expo.cleveland.com/sports/g...interesting-things-coaches-said-thursday.html

Go Gophers!!

The explosive plays against us was very annoying. While its still going to happen from time to time, I hope that the frequency of it happening continues to go down. All about those little things to be successful.

The explosive plays against us was very annoying. While its still going to happen from time to time, I hope that the frequency of it happening continues to go down. All about those little things to be successful.

It was definitely the scheme in place at the time. Left some wins on the field because of it. Some of those runs almost looked like replays but for the different uniforms.

It was definitely the scheme in place at the time. Left some wins on the field because of it. Some of those runs almost looked like replays but for the different uniforms.

That's how I remember it, too. Not so much missed tackles; more like nobody even close enough to the runner to even attempt a tackle.

It seemed like the old system was just too complex. The players were thinking too much, rather than just playing football.

Top Bottom