Bigger than himself: Tyler Johnson decided to return to Minnesota to set an example

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dustin:

Tyler Johnson was faced with a difficult decision seven months ago. The Minnesota receiver could pursue his dream of playing in the NFL and declare for the 2019 draft, or he could suit up for the Golden Gophers for one more season.

In those situations, players often put themselves first — as they should. But for Johnson, the decision he was staring in the eye was bigger than one person. It was about his family, his community and his teammates.

Johnson opted to return to Minnesota to finish his football career with the Gophers. More importantly, the star receiver decided to spend one final year in Minneapolis to earn his degree.

“I just thought it would mean a lot to my siblings and people in my community. Not a lot of people where I’m from get a college degree,” Johnson told Saturday Tradition at B1G Media Days. “I just took all that in and made it a priority.”

Earning a college degree isn’t something that many star college athletes are too concerned with in the moment. For a lot of future NFL players, it’s something that can be accomplished when the helmet and shoulder pads are stuffed away in a closet somewhere.

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa...VuOlVT&usg=AFQjCNEsPbLu8gQ16UWqYxNFfoSWTjhFBg

Go Gophers!!

Good Dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJ being around has to free up the offense a great deal. Glad to have him.

Tyler’s been a shining light for the city (and obviously the state as well) since he was in High School. Remember him talking about the importance of staying at North HS and trying to restore Northside pride with the Polars and everything else. With the success and example he’s setting along with the great work Devean George is doing hopefully that can go a long way in rebuilding the community. Tyler’s an incredible guy and I’m glad he respresents the University.

There’s a lot of high character guys on this team especially in this senior class. No matter where this thing goes with Fleck, these guys were the ones that really set the tone for the program. It’s gonna be a tough senior night.

Last edited:

That's good to hear. High character guys like that don't come around often. And really....the extra year should really benefit him as far as draft prospects go. Bet that coaches and GMs put lots of value in stuff like this as well.

Sounds like a guy that holds up his end of a commitment. Glad he is a Gopher, wish him all the best in the future. He will make any organization better if he is a part of it.

He's an impressive, thoughtful, young man. What a contrast to those players that sit out so they don't jeopardize their pro chances, or the one and dones. I'm proud he's a Gopher. I hope he has a tremendous season - and all success after college.

Last edited:

Top Bottom