Fleck sees Gophers winning axe as defining moment, Badgers disagree

The Gophers should absolutely celebrate ending the streak, especially since it was done in a decidedly non-fluky way. It was getting so ridiculous that some Badger fans were openly hoping the Goofs took one just so the rivalry got some spark back. I was not in this camp and think it deserves scorn, but it was out there.

That said, even beyond the rivalry, it's pretty amazing how much hinged on that one game for Fleck and Minnesota. He loses that one, there's no bowl game and there would have definitely been some off-season hot-seat chatter. Better hope Peej takes advantage of the Charmin-soft schedule this year.

Wisconsin is the Mr. Whipple of the Gophers Charmin-Soft schedule!

The Badgers beat some really bad Gophers teams during the streak. That didn't stop their players and fans from rubbing it in and celebrating it whenever they could (as they should). But when they lost, it turned into they were having a down year and they're wondering why the Gophers are making a big deal out of it.

If they're going to make a big deal about the 14 years in a row, why would you not expect that the Gophers would make a big deal about breaking that streak?

+1

Not only this, some Gopher fans go out of their way to minimize the victory because it was a “down” year for the Badgers even though they went 8-5. Out of the 14 victories they had over us, most were against “down” Gopher teams that finished with records of 8-5 or worse.

+1

Not only this, <b>some Gopher fans go out of their way to minimize the victory</b> because it was a “down” year for the Badgers even though they went 8-5. Out of the 14 victories they had over us, most were against “down” Gopher teams that finished with records of 8-5 or worse.

Haven’t seen one on here that has done that. If anything we have blown it out of proportion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

Not only this, some Gopher fans go out of their way to minimize the victory because it was a “down” year for the Badgers even though they went 8-5. Out of the 14 victories they had over us, most were against “down” Gopher teams that finished with records of 8-5 or worse.

If anyone is doing that, it's an absurd take. Minimizing our successes is ridiculous. We got the Axe, and I think I had more fun than I ever have watching a road game on TV.

My thoughts... it is possible for it to mean a lot for the Gophers and not as much for the Badgers. They’ve won so many games over the years and beat us soo many times they knew it wouldn’t last forever.

For us, it is clearly another step in the right direction and gave Fleck some legitimacy that his culture is working.

My thoughts... it is possible for it to mean a lot for the Gophers and not as much for the Badgers. They’ve won so many games over the years and beat us soo many times they knew it wouldn’t last forever.

For us, it is clearly another step in the right direction and gave Fleck some legitimacy that his culture is working.

It definitely means more to the gophers to break the streak than it did to the badgers to have it end

I think a lot of badger fans assume it was just blip, and they'll go right back to dominating us

Haven’t seen one on here that has done that. If anything we have blown it out of proportion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it has been the more casual fans you see on social media that have said things like that.

Top Bottom