Germany Loses in FIBA U20, Ihnen Due to Arrive on Campus Soon

A question for those that know, how does Rivals or any recruitment ranking service rank a player from Germany? Seems to me a bit hard to do.
For me, I don't care. I trust Pitino and his staff to rank the players to whom they give offers.

For me, I don't care. I trust Pitino and his staff to rank the players to whom they give offers.

Understand and agree, but what I am wondering who scouts an international player and ranks them? And how does anyone see the player? I imagine just national recruits ranking services may only be looking at box scores, competition, pedigrees, etc., which is a little harder to do across the sea.

Understand and agree, but what I am wondering who scouts an international player and ranks them? And how does anyone see the player? I imagine just national recruits ranking services may only be looking at box scores, competition, pedigrees, etc., which is a little harder to do across the sea.
I wonder if Papa Pitino was in on this recruit, having coached in Greece.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Would hope that a gopher recruit would handle Jacksonville st recruit listed as having no competing D1 offers out of JUCO and did not start a game as a JUCO

Would hope that a gopher recruit would handle Jacksonville st recruit listed as having no competing D1 offers out of JUCO and did not start a game as a JUCO

The scouting reports Ive heard say that he will take some time but has the potential to be a high impact guy. Judge him after some time and coaching in college, not based on a tweet about an 18 yo playing euro ball.

A question for those that know, how does Rivals or any recruitment ranking service rank a player from Germany? Seems to me a bit hard to do.

Same way Rivals ranks any player. They look at the number of offers the player has and what teams have offered.

Same way Rivals ranks any player. They look at the number of offers the player has and what teams have offered.

That sort of thing can move you from a 2-star to a 3-star, but won’t affect your exact ranking within the top 100.

Did Michael Hurt :confused:
Not every player becomes a starter. Michael is just fine as the 9th guy in the rotation. You must be one of those retards that thinks players should be in the MIAC if there not all conference.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

You would hope, but it all depends upon who has developed to their potential. Ihnen is said to be very athletic and just beginning to scratch the surface of his potential. The JState guy could be further along at this stage, but just from the picture, he doesn't look as athletic as Ihnen.

For that, they use the magic set of 4 - 25 sided dice.

Lol. Not sure why it's such a far fetched idea that the scouts who travel the country to watch these guys play actually use their own opinions for their rankings, but I guess conspiracy theories can be fun sometimes.

And averaged 4 pets and 2 rebounds .5 Assists per game...Mike Hurt looking good to Start

Four "pets"? That will get you in a lot of trouble in the U.S. unless your last name is Trump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I see it's been referenced here by the czar, but Isaiah didn't do much in the FIBA U-20 tournament. Isaiah had a DNP in their round of 16 game and then got just 2.5 minutes in their semi final loss. With very small sample sizes, he shot 40% overall and 30% from 3 with 14 total rebounds and 3 total assists. The only encouraging stat was that he did manage to block 4 shots in his limited playing time.

Contrast Isaiah's lack of playing time and production to Kayne Henry from Great Britain who will play at Jacksonville State next year. Kayne actually shot worse than Isaiah (over a much larger sample) with 33% from the field and 31.6% from 3, but he averaged 11.9 points a game with 8.4 rebounds, 2.6 assists, and 1.9 steals over 30 plus minutes a game.

Now Kayne is a good year and a half older than Isaiah (Kayne is 20, Isaiah is still 18) and his team situation could have been quite different (Germany was much more successful in the tournament), so those number should be taken with a grain of salt. It's certainly something to at least raise your eyebrow at that a top 100 kid barely made a dent in this tournament while a kid going to Jacksonville State was an/the anchor on another team and was able to put up numbers.

The German player for NDSU put up better numbers also...Hopefully Ihnen will eventually bloom ...was hoping he would his production would support optimism of a likelihood of him starting and or putting up solid numbers for the gophs this season...with him being the most heralded incoming recruit

How many other players on the German team, or any other team for that matter, are 18? If there were a bunch that were 18 then I would be a bit concerned. If he's one of the very few then I think this is a good thing. Think about it for a second. How often are freshmen better than Juniors? Yes, with the star players that happens. But most of the time it doesn't. I have no idea if he will do well or not but I'm willing to give him a chance.

And averaged 4 pets and 2 rebounds .5 Assists per game...Mike Hurt looking good to Start

If Ihnen is not ready ( I admit I have believed he would be) there are certainly others in the mix at the 3 spot:

Willis and Williams are also possibilities there or we could play Carr and Willis at the guards and Kalscheur on the wing

So, if we recall he would have preferred not to participate on the German team. But the UofM has a rule he can't be on campus until 30 days before enrollment or some such marker coming from Europe. So he was forced....essentially to be on the team. He likely knew he was not going to get playing time. Pretty hard to impress or improve sitting on the bench...practices likely focused on the chosen older guys learning "the system" versus competition.

Ihnen can play! He doesn't have to beat out Coffey or Murphy or McBrayer to see the floor. Give him a chance fellas...he is going to play well for the Gophers!

So, if we recall he would have preferred not to participate on the German team. But the UofM has a rule he can't be on campus until 30 days before enrollment or some such marker coming from Europe. So he was forced....essentially to be on the team. He likely knew he was not going to get playing time. Pretty hard to impress or improve sitting on the bench...practices likely focused on the chosen older guys learning "the system" versus competition.

Ihnen can play! He doesn't have to beat out Coffey or Murphy or McBrayer to see the floor. Give him a chance fellas...he is going to play well for the Gophers!
+1

True. He started the last game. He is still raw, but with tremendous upside.

He had 31 points and 7 three pointers in this game back in Dec.

You may criticize the opposition, but you can’t criticize his shooting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5AILPYFmXY0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True. He started the last game. He is still raw, but with tremendous upside.

He had 31 points and 7 three pointers in this game back in Dec.

You may criticize the opposition, but you can’t criticize his shooting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5AILPYFmXY0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That video certainly shows that he is raw. The left guide hand flies out and his release is a bit slow. Good coaching will fix those things. But, you can see he has athletic potential.
I'll be surprised if he contributes a lot this season...based solely upon this video.

Top Bottom