How many regular season wins poll!

2019 Regular Season Wins Poll!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

8. Heading into your three, 2 win improvement should be expected, especially with the easier schedule and considering that we spent half of last year with the self imposed handicap at defensive coordinator.

When you break it down, I see the season in four sections:

1) Non-conf -- I am cautiously predicting 3-0.
2) @Purdue/Ill/Neb -- very doubtful we'll go 3-0 here. Not sure if 2-1 or 1-2. Purdue will be out for blood. Don't know how good Ill or Neb will be this year yet. Both smoked us last year, but folks here will tell you those don't count because now we're Rossi-fied. We'll see
3) @Rutgers/Maryland -- on the road is always tough, but you'd like to hope we can find a way to win, and we owe Maryland a loss. Cautiously predicting 2-0.
4) Penn St/@Iowa/@NW/Wisc -- brutal stretch. My big thing here, and for the season too ... don't get embarrassed in any of these games. No games like NW 2017. Keep them close. Keep them winnable. Could see anything from 0-4 to 2-2.

And of course all of these are on paper, with no injuries or anything really out of the ordinary that changes the teams drastically.

So if you say, 3-0, 1-2, 2-0, 1-3 .... that's 7-5. ***This is what I voted.

High end, 3-0, 2-1, 2-0, 2-2 .... that's 9-3.

When you break it down, I see the season in four sections:

1) Non-conf -- I am cautiously predicting 3-0.
2) @Purdue/Ill/Neb -- very doubtful we'll go 3-0 here. Not sure if 2-1 or 1-2. Purdue will be out for blood. Don't know how good Ill or Neb will be this year yet. Both smoked us last year, but folks here will tell you those don't count because now we're Rossi-fied. We'll see
3) @Rutgers/Maryland -- on the road is always tough, but you'd like to hope we can find a way to win, and we owe Maryland a loss. Cautiously predicting 2-0.
4) Penn St/@Iowa/@NW/Wisc -- brutal stretch. My big thing here, and for the season too ... don't get embarrassed in any of these games. No games like NW 2017. Keep them close. Keep them winnable. Could see anything from 0-4 to 2-2.

And of course all of these are on paper, with no injuries or anything really out of the ordinary that changes the teams drastically.

So if you say, 3-0, 1-2, 2-0, 1-3 .... that's 7-5. ***This is what I voted.

High end, 3-0, 2-1, 2-0, 2-2 .... that's 9-3.

I also split the season into four parts, but four equal parts.

Part A) SDSU, Fresno, Talons - I've heard good things on this board about Georgia State, and Fresno isn't easy on the road. I'm going to go 2-1.

Part B) Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska - Last year 1-2 against these three. I say 1-2 again this year. (This is the area we can most improve in)

Part C) Rutgers, Maryland, Penn St. Last time we played Rutgers, we barely won. Penn St will be tough and Maryland is talented. I'm going 2-1.

Part D) Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin. Last year 1-2. This year we are better, and finish strong. We go 2-1.

Total 7-5.

Yes, GSU, Georgia State University. Big research school in Atlanta. Not quite as prestigious as Georgia Tech, and not old money like Georgia, but those really are the main three research/primary universities in the state.

They have some other public schools ... more of the St Cloud St variety.

Part A) SDSU, Fresno, Talons - I've heard good things on this board about Georgia State, and Fresno isn't easy on the road. I'm going to go 2-1.

Part B) Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska - Last year 1-2 against these three. I say 1-2 again this year. (This is the area we can most improve in)

Part C) Rutgers, Maryland, Penn St. Last time we played Rutgers, we barely won. Penn St will be tough and Maryland is talented. I'm going 2-1.

Part D) Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin. Last year 1-2. This year we are better, and finish strong. We go 2-1.

Total 7-5.

We only differ on where Penn St goes. I put it with the last section, because it feels like those games are harder than @Rutgers and vs Maryland. But your's is just as valid, maybe more. Same record as well.

8-5 overall this year would be a big, big win. It fits the exact trajectory of W Michigan in year three. People need patience.

this is how we'll know whether Fleck really is different -

When the Gophers do NOT lose any of the games they're supposed to win. going back to Mason and before, it just seems like every year, there's one game where the Gophers are favored, everyone expects them to win by 7 to 10 points - and they lay an egg. If they can get through an entire season without one of those games, I'll be happy.

Because - if you win all of the games you're supposed to win, and you can pull off at least one upset, that usually means a good season.

BTW, I went with 8 wins in the poll.

Total 7-5.

When you break it down into those quadrants
3-0
2-1
2-1
1-2
Is 8-4
Beat the teams you should beat if we are actually progressing and 8-4 is the floor. If you can’t go 8-4 this team is painfully mediocre.

Beat Nebraska
Beat Penn State
Win 2 of the last 3 instead of 1/3

For each one of those three things you can do you can add a win to the 8.

If you can’t go 8-4 this team is painfully mediocre.

This statement is off by one win, IMO.

The difference essentially boils down to, your eighth win comes from winning at Purdue.

That is not a “should win, or else you’re mediocre” game. It’s just not. Don’t be silly.

Here is another way to put it:

Easiest games to toughest (Should win, to could win, to tough to win)

A - Should win easily:

SDSU and Georgia State / Tech

B - Should win, but not as easily:

@Fresno
@Rutgers
Illinois
Maryland

C - Tough games (50-50)
@Northwestern
@Purdue

D - Maybe tougher than 50-50
Penn St.
Nebraska
Wisconsin
@Iowa

I could see us getting a loss in the B group. Hopefully not worse than 3-1, but then we should be able to win 2 of the group C / D games.

Others may feel the ranking of easiest to toughest might be different than I have.

The difference essentially boils down to, your eighth win comes from winning at Purdue.

That is not a “should win, or else you’re mediocre” game. It’s just not. Don’t be silly.

7-5 with this schedule won't impress any recruits, and it won't help fill TCF Stadium.

It's Year Three; it's time to make a move. Three years ago a 9-4 record with a similar schedule left us with a half-empty stadium and a fired coach.

Interesting. Gophs led inside 2 minutes to go @ Purdue in 2017. That was absolutely a winnable game.

You must have much more faith in Brohm and staff than Fleck and staff. You must think Purdue's win over OSU as less of a surprise than Goph's over Purdue. You must rate Purdue's loss @ home to Wisconsin higher than Gophs win @ Wisconsin. Purdue got completely dominated in its bowl game; Gophs dominated in its bowl game. Purdue went 1-3 in its last four games in 2018; Gophs went 3-1.

Who is the silly one?

2017 means literally nothing to this year. Purdue and Minnesota are essentially the same in that regard.

Last year we won big, at home. On the road is different, and they’ll be motivated to correct for the embarrassing loss.

There is simply nothing wrong with saying that @Purdue is “not a game we should lose, but also not a game we should win”. It’s the truth.

It's Year Three; it's time to make a move.

Does not compute. And makes me very thankful that fans with your level of impatience don’t get to make decisions.

8-5 with a win over Texas A&M in a bigger bowl than last year would be the perfect stepping stone season to 2020. THEN we can start working out some of those big dreams of yours.

the Gophers could go between 8-4 or 10 -2 with a loss to GSU. You'll still get a bowl game.

2017 means literally nothing to this year. Purdue and Minnesota are essentially the same in that regard.

Last year we won big, at home. On the road is different, and they’ll be motivated to correct for the embarrassing loss.

There is simply nothing wrong with saying that @Purdue is “not a game we should lose, but also not a game we should win”. It’s the truth.

Literally contradict yourself in the same post.

Literally, 2017 is not last year.

I stand corrected. Aren't you correlating a past result to a future result with that revenge quote? Pretty sure you just posted about that in another thread.

I stand corrected. Aren't you correlating a past result to a future result with that revenge quote? Pretty sure you just posted about that in another thread.

The father back you go, the more you can/should discount that evidence.

You did state a lot of evidence from 2018. Makes a very compelling case that if Minn played Purdue in a neutral site after their bowl games last season, Minn would’ve won.

Each new season is significantly different though, I don’t think you question.

Look, the @Purdue game this year is just like the @Maryland game. Even if we start 3-0 and look great, gotta go on the road and prove it in the Big Ten. People should be somewhat skeptical until then. If we win that game, it could be a great year, just like we were saying about Maryland last year.

Does not compute. And makes me very thankful that fans with your level of impatience don’t get to make decisions.

8-5 with a win over Texas A&M in a bigger bowl than last year would be the perfect stepping stone season to 2020. THEN we can start working out some of those big dreams of yours.

"Fans with my level of impatience" do, in fact, get to make some very key decisions that directly impact the program. We make decisions regarding whether or not to attend games, to follow the team, to donate to the program.

High school athletes also make decisions about the program, based in large part on the success or failure of that program on the field.

Claeys was fired after going 9-4 with a similar schedule. Fleck was hired to improve recruiting, to create excitement around the program... and to win. If you don't see that, you're a bit delusional.

A 7-5 record is okay as a step in the journey. Barely okay. Fleck was not hired to go 7-5. Coyle would tell you that. Fleck would tell you that.

What "fans like me" have in common with Fleck and Coyle: all of us would be quite disappointed in a 7-5 season in Year Three.

Year Three. The schedule will never be more favorable. The clock ticks. Time to deliver. Go time.

Well Purdue is mediocre. So if you have an average record and you lost to an average team...to me that makes you average.

Fleck was not hired to go 7-5.

No s__t Sherlock.

No one is saying that 7-5 is acceptable in perpetuity. Of course not. Year three it is acceptable if years four and five are breakouts.

What "fans like me" have in common with Fleck and Coyle: all of us would be quite disappointed in a 7-5 season in Year Three.

Then good riddance.

Thing is, when 2020 is a 9+ win campaign, you'll be pushing over small children in order to clamber back onto the bandwagon. Maybe we'll save you a seat, at the back. Maybe...

Then good riddance.

Thing is, when 2020 is a 9+ win campaign, you'll be pushing over small children in order to clamber back onto the bandwagon. <b>Maybe we'll save you a seat, <\b>at the back. Maybe...

Who is “we”. I’m curious who is aligning themselves with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Purdue is mediocre. So if you have an average record and you lost to an average team...to me that makes you average.

You're entitled to think whatever you want to think. I've stated my reasoning, and I feel it's correct. You don't, that's fine.

Who is “we”.

Non-glib football fans, likely.

Everyone knows that rebuilding projects generally take four seasons to show good results, if they work. This year will be another good clue into Fleck's process and if it's going to work here at Minn. I think it will.

You're entitled to think whatever you want to think. I've stated my reasoning, and I feel it's correct. You don't, that's fine.

You said in another thread that I have to explain myself to you.

Top Bottom