How many regular season wins poll!

2019 Regular Season Wins Poll!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeh, Spoofin gets it.

This video shows what "Barely touching" is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBv5DBl9SjE

If you are going to deduct points for a close win at home to a bad team, do they get bonus points for taking the big ten champs to OT on the road? What about for having their only loss by more than one score being a 14 point loss to a top 10 team on the road? Or having no losses to any team worse than a 6-3 big ten team?

If next year, Fleck wins 9 games, including the bowl game, the three out of conference games, and every game against big ten teams that are 5-4 or worse, I promise I will not rip on him or the team when it is over for how close the wins were. Pretty sure you would praise him after such a season too.

They were, indeed, ahead. And there's no question that that fact alone makes the loss very disappointing.

But it must be said that the Gophers took the eventual B1G Champions to overtime — on the Nittany Lions home field, in front of a huge, hostile crowd.

They also went 9-3 over the remainder of that season.

"Solid" is a very good word to describe that team, and that season.

It could also be said that the game was somewhat of a turning point for both teams. We had a real chance to win the division with a win in that game and a home game against Iowa the next game. Instead, we gave up a few big plays and let PSU back into the game. I was at that game. The PSU crowd was out of the game and dejected late in that game. If PSU loses that game, their season might have gone in the toilet like when Mase beat them.

It could also be said that the game was somewhat of a turning point for both teams. We had a real chance to win the division with a win in that game and a home game against Iowa the next game. Instead, we gave up a few big plays and let PSU back into the game. I was at that game. The PSU crowd was out of the game and dejected late in that game. If PSU loses that game, their season might have gone in the toilet like when Mase beat them.

We are really reaching if we are going down the road of "well, sure, they were the big champs, but they weren't really that good because maybe if we had beaten them, it would have launched them into a tailspin that they would have never recovered from."

We are really reaching if we are going down the road of "well, sure, they were the big champs, but they weren't really that good because maybe if we had beaten them, it would have launched them into a tailspin that they would have never recovered from."

Not really. They got beat by a decent Pitt team that later upset Clemson and got smoked by Michigan. They were sitting at 2-2 going into our game.

Can the very first conference game of the season really be a 'turning point' for both teams?

If we'd won two of the four games we lost, then, yes... we would have had an even better season. But couldn't you say that for most any 9-4 team?

You don't get points for almost beating a Penn St team who lost 49-10 to Michigan the week prior.

Can the very first conference game of the season really be a 'turning point' for both teams?

If we'd won two of the four games we lost, then, yes... we would have had an even better season. But couldn't you say that for most any 9-4 team?
I think it can be. We can disagree.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

You don't get points for almost beating a Penn St team who lost 49-10 to Michigan the week prior.

I dont like giving out points for almost wins of any kind, but on the flip side, I also dont deduct points for almost losses. I just dont understand the bizarre effort to minimize the accomplishments of our winningest team in quite a while.

I dont like giving out points for almost wins of any kind, but on the flip side, I also dont deduct points for almost losses. I just dont understand the bizarre effort to minimize the accomplishments of our winningest team in quite a while.

It makes them feel better about the firing.

So last year, we shouldn't think of our loss to Ohio state as a loss to the eventual big ten champs, but rather a humiliation at the hands of a team that lost to Purdue by 29 one week later? Or do these standards only apply to 2016?

Really? ZERO points?

Even though Penn State eventually won that dumb, silly ol' B1G Championship thing-a-ma-bob?

I know. I don't understand it either.

In my case, it's probably because I wasn't 'here' during the (apparently very polarizing) Claeys stint.

So last year, we shouldn't think of our loss to Ohio state as a loss to the eventual big ten champs, but rather a humiliation at the hands of a team that lost to Purdue by 29 one week later? Or do these standards only apply to 2016?

It depends on if your team is excelling socially, spiritually, and academically in that case.

If you are going to deduct points for a close win at home to a bad team, do they get bonus points for taking the big ten champs to OT on the road? What about for having their only loss by more than one score being a 14 point loss to a top 10 team on the road? Or having no losses to any team worse than a 6-3 big ten team?

If next year, Fleck wins 9 games, including the bowl game, the three out of conference games, and every game against big ten teams that are 5-4 or worse, I promise I will not rip on him or the team when it is over for how close the wins were. Pretty sure you would praise him after such a season too.

You don't deduct points for a win no matter if it by 1 -3-6 or 7 points. A win is a win. You can argue the point that a close game against an FCS team doesn't help much or that a loss to an FCS team will heart you worse than a close loss to a G5 or P5 bottom dwelling team. If you look at W/L over the years it is better to lose early than late in the season.

Last edited:

Not many folks on hear having the guys to predict a win total. A lot of talk though. How many wins???

I say 11! Pick one number and post it, then discuss. What’s your prediction??? One number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 or 8, depending on the Purdue game.

No bad losses, like Maryland, Nebraska, and Illinois last season.

SomeDay-"Not many folks on hear having the guys to predict a win total. A lot of talk though. How many wins???
I say 11! Pick one number and post it, then discuss. What’s your prediction??? One number. "

I predicted 8-9 wins with a bowl win.

TALON

Last edited:

The closer the season gets the more I feel 8-4 is the floor

I think I said 10-2 in another thread.

Last edited:

7 or 8, depending on the Purdue game.

No bad losses, like Maryland, Nebraska, and Illinois last season.

Assuming you don’t upset someone. Yes 7-5 or 8-4 depending on Purdue.
Go 6-0 in the 6 easiest game.
Between Purdue, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, northwestern and Penn state...
Go 1-5 for 7-5
2-4 for 8-4

I think this team is above average.
If they lose to bad teams this year they don’t go 8-4 and they’re just average. If they can’t go 2-4 against solid opponents, then they are just average.

Assuming you don’t upset someone. Yes 7-5 or 8-4 depending on Purdue.
Go 6-0 in the 6 easiest game.
Between Purdue, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, northwestern and Penn state...
Go 1-5 for 7-5
2-4 for 8-4

I think this team is above average.
If they lose to bad teams this year they don’t go 8-4 and they’re just average. If they can’t go 2-4 against solid opponents, then they are just average.

Mostly agree. For me 7-5 will be a stumble with any combination of seven wins (barring series of catastrophic injuries). 9-3 is my expectation, with the real chance for a special season.

As of 1:57 PM on Friday, August 2nd:

48 out of 81 respondents voted 9 wins or more. 69 of 81 said 8 or more.

Love the enthusiasm; nice to see.

I will have to retract my GSU 9-3 or 10-2 regular season W/L record because of what 2 Gopher posters put on the GSU vs Gopher thread.

They are both EVIL for doing so - EVIL, Evil, evil - I say.

Top Bottom