B1G Football Annual Kickoff Conference. Who is Casey O'Brien?

Rescooter

Section 243
Reaction score
If you want to be inspired, check out this Film Clip. Casey has taken Chicago by storm. A real feel good story and my nomination for Holder of the Year.

For those who don't want to get the free trial etc., to review his speech, here it is. In my opinion it is elite and he made Minnesota proud today.

My name is Casey O'Brien and I am a walk-on placeholder at the University of Minnesota. I am also a four-time cancer survivor. Today, I want to talk to you about being thankful.

Now, odds are, nobody in this room – outside of my parents, my teammates and Coach Fleck – has ever heard of me or know anything about my story. In fact, many of you may be wondering why I am up here speaking today.

But here I am, standing in front of you with the opportunity to represent every player in the Big Ten ...somebody must like what I'm doing. But we will get to my story later.

When I found out that I was going to have this opportunity, I went to the internet to watch past Kickoff Luncheon speeches. The first one I wanted to see was from former Gopher and childhood hero of mine Eric Decker. Eric may not remember this, but he was actually one of the first people to call me after I got the bad news.

His call came before many of my friends and family. It was a quick phone call, but hearing the voice of my favorite player and biggest role model meant the world to me. I will never forget the words he ended our talk with. He said "Stay strong and never give up, you have the whole world behind you." It reminded me that even the simplest words can be the most encouraging. For these words, and for that phone call, I am thankful.

As I scrolled through videos from previous years, I began to watch other great players from this conference give their speeches. I watched Denard Robinson talk about his family, and how he prayed to his brother who had passed away before every game. I watched Joshua Perry talk about the influence that Big Ten football players have, and how we as players are more than just athletes. I watched David Blough talk about how football teaches lessons that extend far beyond the field. I watched Kirk Cousins talk about what a privilege it is to play football in the Big Ten.

I watched every speech I could find, but it was the Kirk Cousins speech that really stuck with me. I guess I am not alone, as nearly 500,000 people have watched it as well. Mr. Cousins now plays quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings, and on a whim, I asked if he would be willing to speak to me about his memories from standing here at this podium.

He immediately said yes. That's the kind of person he is, and the brotherhood that we as players share in the Big Ten. As I got the chance to speak with Mr. Cousins, I wanted to pick his brain about how he prepared for the speech. I wanted to know if he was nervous, how many times he had practiced, what kind of notes he used...I even asked him what he had for breakfast that day. It was bacon and eggs, if you were wondering. He gave me all that information and more, but the best advice he gave me was to be myself and to be authentic, and that is what I am going to do.

This is my story, and this is what I am thankful for.

Six years ago, I was a freshman quarterback at Cretin-Derham Hall high school. I was 13 years old and had big dreams. I thought I was going to be the king of the school. There was only one problem, I also had a pain in my left knee that would not go away. My parents took me to see so many doctors, but no one was able to tell me what was wrong. My dad, who was coaching for the Gopher Football team at the time, as a last resort had the team doctor take a look at me.

It was that day, December 14th of 2013 that he found something the other doctors could not. By noon on that Saturday, just over a week before Christmas, I was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma, an extremely rare form of bone cancer. Osteosarcoma is an unforgiving, aggressive disease that usually attacks the young and rarely looks back. It would be hard for me not to mention that this is the same cancer that took one of our game's biggest fans last year, in Purdue student Tyler Trent. But this was not before he inspired our conference and our nation, and reminded us why college football is so special. I like to think that Tyler and I would have gotten along well, and I think about him and his courageous battle often.

Undoubtedly, Osteosarcoma is the same cancer that inflicts kids at the University of Iowa Children's Hospital. Those same kids are the ones who are waving back to us players at every Iowa home game. From somebody who has spent countless days in a hospital room, it is hard to describe what that wave means to those children and their families.

Growing up, my entire life had revolved around sports. I was always going from one practice to the next. Now, at 13 years old, I was told that I needed a full knee replacement and 9 months of chemotherapy. This meant I had to give up all the sports that I had known and loved. I was told that I would be lucky to walk, much less jog again, and that my football career was over. Or so they thought. After 18 rounds of chemo, an 8 and a half hour knee replacement and bone replacement surgery, and close to 90 nights in the hospital, I was finally back to being cancer free at the start of my sophomore year of high school. I couldn't wait to put all of this behind me and enjoy high school again.

Unfortunately, God had other plans, as six months later my cancer had relapsed for the first time, in both my lungs. This was not a good situation. Three lung surgeries, 7 months of chemotherapy so intense that I had to spend the entire following week recovering in the hospital, and another school year being bald were to follow.

This was devastating news, but the circumstances I was placed in were not going to dictate my life, and my behavior. I wanted to play football again, and I wasn't going to take no for an answer. So, after a complete left knee replacement which included metal rods into my femur and tibia. Please don't ask me about going through security at the airport and while still receiving chemotherapy treatment, - I convinced my doctors to let me move from quarterback to placeholder.

In my junior year of high school I made my return to playing varsity football. In our season opening game, I held every extra point in a win, and checked into the hospital for a week of chemotherapy the following morning. I had no hair and was down to 130 pounds, but I was back jogging, and playing football. My mom could barely step foot in the stadium. To me, I was back out there with my teammates, doing what I loved, and helping our team win football games. To the other teams, I was just another kid that could get hit if there was a bad snap, and that is exactly how I wanted it to be. The football field was one of the only places that I felt normal.

My cancer has come back two more times since entering college. Once again I would not let it stop me. I took chemo pills before every practice in my first spring ball. Did not miss a practice. I spent all of last season wearing a specially made shirt with a pad sewn into it to protect a medical port in my chest for treatment I was receiving. Did not miss a practice. This spring ball, cancer free, I competed for the starting job.

Without football, I would not have noticed that pain in my knee when I did, and I may not have found out that I had cancer. I would not be standing here today. I would not be living my dream of playing college football in the Big Ten in the state that I grew up in. I would not have some of my greatest memories or some of my best friends. Without football, I would not have gotten through some of the darkest days sitting in the hospital room. For all of these reasons, I am thankful.

I am thankful for my teammates.

There is something special about being a part of a team. I know that I have 120 brothers who have my back no matter where I am at. No one has believed in me or supported me more than the guys in our locker room. It is a bond that is earned, and it is friendships that will last the rest of our lives. Teammates are the ones who will still be there long after the cameras are not. Three of my teammates are here today in Tyler Johnson, Carter Coughlin and Mohamed Ibrahim, and they all have amazing stories.

Tyler, Carter and Mo, and all of my brothers back home, it is my honor to be your teammate.

I am thankful for my coaches, especially Coach Fleck.

Coach Fleck did not have to give me a chance to walk-on, but he did. And for that, I will be forever grateful. Minnesota is the only school that called me, and the only school that would give me a chance to play. Growing up less than 15 minutes from the stadium, it was a dream come true. Coach Fleck and his culture has taught me about life, football, and everything in the middle. He is the first person I call after my three month scans, and good or bad he always seems to have the right thing to say. I am proud to call him my coach, my role model, and my friend.

I am thankful for the University of Minnesota Masonic Children's Hospital.

That hospital is amazing. When I was first diagnosed with cancer, we looked across the entire country for second opinions, and where to get the best care. Every hospital pointed us back to Masonic, which we later learned is one of the best in the world. My doctors - Brenda Wyglie, Jill Lee, and Dennis Clohisy - have had an unbelievable plan ready for every relapse and adversity I have faced. They are the main reason I am still here today. For these three, and the entire staff at the Masonic Children's Hospital, I am thankful. But most importantly, I am over one year cancer free.

I go back to Masonic a few times a year for scans and checkups, but it is more often now that I find myself in those hallways to visit patients. When I was a patient, I didn't really have anyone to look up to. I didn't know anyone my age who had beaten cancer, and this was hard for me. I think it is important to go back and let them know that it is possible, and their lives and sports careers are still ahead of them. I wear six bracelets on my right wrist. Each one is from a different boy or girl who I have met and visited. Some of them are so worn down that you can't even read the name, but I know who they are, and who they stand for. It is hard for me to say this, but not every name on my wrist has walked out those hospital doors like I have. We need to continue to improve our treatments and the way that we fight cancer. I would like to repeat what my role model Eric Decker once told me to all those watching back at the hospital right now, "Stay strong and never give up, you have the whole world behind you."

Lastly, I am thankful for my family.

I can only imagine how hard it has been for my parents to hear the news that one of their sons has been diagnosed with cancer – not once, but four times. It was devastating for me to hear, but it had to be gut-wrenching for them. The same can be said for my brother and sister, who had to watch their little brother go through surgery after surgery. We spent more than 200 nights in that hospital together. I can say we, because every night my mom, dad, brother, or sister was there with me – sleeping on a small couch against the wall. It couldn't have been comfortable, but they made sure I was never alone. It comes as no surprise that my mom and dad drove 6 hours this morning from Minneapolis to watch me speak today.

I am thankful for every day that we get to spend together as a family, – the good ones and the bad ones – because I know that tomorrow is never promised. All the tests, scans, blood work, chemotherapy, loss of hair, and everything else that happens when you fight cancer have been worth it. We have beaten it four times, and I am now playing college football in the Big Ten. Mom, Dad, Brittany, and Shaymus, I love you guys.

I want to thank you all again for the opportunity to speak today. It has been a tremendous honor, and a moment that I will never forget. Good luck to everyone this season, and Go Gophers.

Thank you.

This read and the YouTube really got to me. What a truly amazing young man who is a great representative for the U, his family and all young adults

Fabulous job Casey. You have great courage in the face of unbelievable adversity. I also salute your teammates with you in Chicago. Tyler, Mo, and Carter were so poised and articulate in their interview on the BTN. There is much to be proud of being a Gopher fan.

Top Bottom