How you live stream Big Ten Network content will change in 2019, here's how

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Lansing State Journal:

Francois McGillicuddy, president of Big Ten Network, spoke at the 2019 Big Ten Media Days on Thursday.

He revealed that in August 2019 that streaming of Big Ten Network content will no longer be available through BTN2Go.com, FOXSportsGo.com, the BTN2Go app, or the FOX Sports Go app.

The new app that consumers should use is the FOX Sports app and FoxSports.com/live.

McGillicuddy said the transition had to with FOX's sale of FOX Sports Go. He said the transition will be completed in August 2019.

The 2019 Big Ten Football Media Days are still streaming on BTN2Go.com and FOXSportsGo.com and their respective apps.

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com...rk-content-btn-2-go-fox-sports-go/1767403001/

Go Gophers!!

So long as I can still find the games on Reddit's CFB Streams section, I'm good.

This is very unfortunate as the Fox Sports app does does have the Chromecast capabilities that Foxsportgo and BTN2Go do. Reddit streams are always an option but I am going to have to figure out a way to get the games onto my TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YoutubeTV was my go-to last year, but I also don't have a cable subscription so most options were tied to that.

BTN app was always a hot pile of garbage, for me on Roku.

But was always able to watch the same content on Fox Sports Go app, with much cleaner stream.

So hoping this is essentially a rebranding of FSG.

This is very unfortunate as the Fox Sports app does does have the Chromecast capabilities that Foxsportgo and BTN2Go do. Reddit streams are always an option but I am going to have to figure out a way to get the games onto my TV.

If you use Google Chrome as your browser you can cast the streams to your TV. This is what I usually do.

Anyone have any experience on Hulu live??

No, but YouTubeTV has been really good for me on Roku. Would recommend to anyone. Very good quality. Virtual DVR works well.

Think it’s up to $50/mo now because they recently added Food Network, HGTV, etc others. Quite a lot of channels.

My experiment with PlayStation Vue has pixelation issues on ABC/CBS/NBC during live sports. My understanding is this relates to too many or X viewers on a pipeline built for X-Y. Picture quality has been much better using dedicated app - eg Fox Sports, etc.

Satellite feed remains the gold standard for picture quality IMO. BTN app as noted on Roku is archaic and embarrassing to the brand.

Prices are slowly creeping up on all the streaming and live tv packages... What was once a screaming deal (cord cutting) is becoming a bit less attractive vs satellite (and streaming Netflix if desired). Obviously Satellite isn’t as attractive in heavy precipitation states...

No, but YouTubeTV has been really good for me on Roku. Would recommend to anyone. Very good quality. Virtual DVR works well.

Think it’s up to $50/mo now because they recently added Food Network, HGTV, etc others. Quite a lot of channels.

I chose YouTubeTV as well. All of there sports channels are 60 frames per second (FPS). When I compared last fall with Hulu and DirectTV Now, had many 30 FPS sports channels, which aren’t as nice to look at for live events.

I chose an Apple TV box over Roku because it has a much fastest processor and navigating was smoother.

(Finger hovering above panic button) ...

I've managed to watch games through a BTN2Go international app these last 5 seasons - can anyone suggest the best way for me to access games from now on?

(English Gopher fan)

I chose YouTubeTV as well. All of there sports channels are 60 frames per second (FPS). When I compared last fall with Hulu and DirectTV Now, had many 30 FPS sports channels, which aren’t as nice to look at for live events.

I chose an Apple TV box over Roku because it has a much fastest processor and navigating was smoother.

Have not had an Apple TV for some time, I think mine was one or two generations ago. So I could believe it. Have never tried ChromeCast (which if I understand correctly isn't really a stand-alone device?), or FireTV.

The TV I bought from Costco a couple years ago had Roku integrated directly into the TV. Actually, the Roku menu is the main operating system of the TV itself. Works very slick. I can select any Streaming On Demand app I want, or I can hop onto YouTubeTV and watch live linear channels. I have a small indoor antenna connected to it, but honestly don't even really use that anymore (so long as internet isn't out).

In my opinion, this is the way to go -- and will be the way it goes. People aren't as keen on additional boxes outside the TV. It's better if it all works right in the TV, with one remote. I know Samsung (and maybe LG too?) have their own streaming OS. Sony TVs could easily integrate Vue, if they wanted. This TCL brand I got at Costco (I think it's Chinese) has Roku integrated. Amazon could well make/brand their own TVs that have Fire integrated. Apple could do the same, and I think is going to shortly??

Last edited:

My experiment with PlayStation Vue has pixelation issues on ABC/CBS/NBC during live sports. My understanding is this relates to too many or X viewers on a pipeline built for X-Y. Picture quality has been much better using dedicated app - eg Fox Sports, etc.

Satellite feed remains the gold standard for picture quality IMO. BTN app as noted on Roku is archaic and embarrassing to the brand.

Prices are slowly creeping up on all the streaming and live tv packages... What was once a screaming deal (cord cutting) is becoming a bit less attractive vs satellite (and streaming Netflix if desired). Obviously Satellite isn’t as attractive in heavy precipitation states...

I think Sling is still pretty cheap? Haven't looked into it lately.

But yes you're exactly correct. And it's easy to understand why: you make more money by bundling more channels together and jacking up the price for the package.

Why do you think cable companies did it in the first place?? They got too greedy with fees -- box rental fees, etc. People finally gave them the middle finger.

Satellite, had it for a couple years a while ago. Free install ... they get you hooked, that's how it always works. Intro price, as well. Then when you cancel you gotta mail the box back.

I just don't want to deal with boxes anymore. Give me a smart TV that can stream it's own content over the internet. That's the new way. But yes, like you said ... the quality has to be there. Would encourage you to give YouTubeTV a try! It really has high quality for me.

(Finger hovering above panic button) ...

I've managed to watch games through a BTN2Go international app these last 5 seasons - can anyone suggest the best way for me to access games from now on?

(English Gopher fan)

That's a tough one. Would say, email them and see what they say.

Do you have any friends in the states who could "loan" you their login password? Maybe the companies have figured that trick out now. Or maybe if your IP address isn't even in the country, they block it? Could VPN I guess.

I think Sling is still pretty cheap? Haven't looked into it lately.

But yes you're exactly correct. And it's easy to understand why: you make more money by bundling more channels together and jacking up the price for the package.

Why do you think cable companies did it in the first place?? They got too greedy with fees -- box rental fees, etc. People finally gave them the middle finger.

Satellite, had it for a couple years a while ago. Free install ... they get you hooked, that's how it always works. Intro price, as well. Then when you cancel you gotta mail the box back.

I just don't want to deal with boxes anymore. Give me a smart TV that can stream it's own content over the internet. That's the new way. But yes, like you said ... the quality has to be there. Would encourage you to give YouTubeTV a try! It really has high quality for me.

Main reason for PSVue was ability for 5 streams and unlimited DVR. It was also touted as 60 FPS while sling, etc is 30 FPS. Many cord cutters are single or two tv families. Not so with us. We may return to Directv in the future simply because the quality was superior. But, there is a cost for that - as always what is something worth to each individual?

The streaming platforms are still in their infancy and I suspect they will consolidate over time but also improve their product and infrastructure. The legacy platforms will by necessity need to simultaneously modernize and reduce pricing as their key customer base literally dies off.

Inertia is a powerful thing and for many making the jump to streaming is a bit overwhelming. We are experimenting with it since it is likely the future of media and IMO Netflix has fine tuned their product, Philo has a nice interface and carries the History channel (PSVue does not), Prime is ok, PSVue is ok. Will likely trial the others over time. Some of the network apps are good (Fox, ESPN) while others are marginal (ABC) and some are terrible (BTN).

Last edited:

Ah ... very good point. I always discount that because we rarely have more than one TV going at a time. We really don't watch a ton of TV.

But if you've got 2-3 or more TVs going at once ... yeah I can see where having that dedicated hardware is what you need at this time. Even if you've got 100Mbit internet, it might still not be there yet.

There are occasions we have 4-5 TVs going...not common but it has happened. We also have guests at times which can exacerbate the issue.

Overall I can see the potential for streaming and one could be perfectly happy with a combination of different services. I’ve not had great experience with live sports as noted...Fox and ESPN have robust infrastructure for their streams and do the best vs PSVue or probably any of the others due to apparent limited ability to handle large boluses of streamers and in some services cases limited FPS. We’ll see how it goes this fall. Still have my dish ready to go.

Last edited:

Well one thing we both agree on -- and I suspect many others too -- is that the BTN streaming app was horrible. Good riddance

I went to the Google Play store and Fox Sports has quite a list of apps. Which one gets me Gopher football?

this plus an HDMI cable has always worked for me

YouTube TV has always covered me for every game.

Anyone have any experience on Hulu live??

Yes, it worked well, and it recorded every game for me. The stream was a tad delayed, but not by much.
If it wasn't as expensive as just buying a cable package, I would still have it.
I'm probably going to sign up again in time for next football season / MLB playoffs if the Twins are still hot.
No reason to pay for it over the summer.

Thought I'd bump this thread back up to the top. Now that Dish has dropped Fox Sports North (and all the Regional Sports Networks), it's time to move away from them, most likely to YouTube TV. My TV sets do not have built-in streaming (e.g., Roku), so I'll be using an external box. Based on the comments in this thread it seems that Apple TV is the way to go. Any advice you have as to which box to use is appreciated.

I only have experience with Roku Ultra box- works well with only the very occasional reboot. My understanding is the Roku stick devices have relatively poor heat sink abilities vs the boxes and may overheat at times leading to reboots or other intermittent gremlins but otherwise work well YMMV. For a little money just go with the box. Apple generally makes superior products - probably can’t go wrong there. I can’t remember all the reasons we chose Roku over Amazon, Google, Apple. I guess I’ve not been motivated to change which always says something.

Edit: seems trivial but the Ultra box has a lost remote beacon and remote control headphone jack for nighttime. That may have helped push it over the top with kids in the house.

Last edited:

I only have experience with Roku Ultra box- works well with only the very occasional reboot. My understanding is the Roku stick devices have relatively poor heat sink abilities vs the boxes and may overheat at times leading to reboots or other intermittent gremlins but otherwise work well YMMV. For a little money just go with the box. Apple generally makes superior products - probably can’t go wrong there. I can’t remember all the reasons we chose Roku over Amazon, Google, Apple. I guess I’ve not been motivated to change which always says something.

Edit: seems trivial but the Ultra box has a lost remote beacon and remote control headphone jack for nighttime. That may have helped push it over the top with kids in the house.

Can confirm. I use just the standard roku stick in a 1080p TV currently. It occasionally will reboot, but that's usually after a few hours worth of binge streaming, and even then it's not often enough to bother me.

I used Youtube TV all season last year with no issues. I just set the games to record the week before just in case I overslept (on the west coast, the 11am games kinda sucked) or had something else cause me to tune in late.

Top Bottom