Who is the next Seth Green

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
Seth Green has been such a weapon. I wonder if they are grooming someone else to do the same thing once Green is gone? Then will other teams imitate the Gophers in this model seeing they have been so successful with it?

Seth Green ... 2

They're cloning him and using some sort of growth acceleration technique in the Winston and Maxine Wallin Medical Biosciences Building across from TCF.

He’s not on the roster yet. Good thing Seth has two more years of eligibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think they'll have a Seth Green type every year, Seth is just such a unique athlete with his size, athleticism and QB experience that they had to make a position for him. I don't think they'll just use the wildcat for the sake of using the wildcat, they'll only use it if they have another unique athlete that we need to get the ball to. Just like MarQueis with Adam Weber and Philip Nelson. In 2009 when Weber was QB, Marqueis would get a few snaps a game at QB because he was such a unique athlete. Same at the end of the 2012 season when Nelson was the QB.

I don't think they'll use him this way but if they had get another Seth Green/Marqueis type at wildcat, I think Namdi Adim-Madumure is the most similar to those two from a physical standpoint. Listed at 6-4, 235 and is considered very mobile for his size.

I think PJ an co. just stumbled on this guy, and realized they had to utilize him. I don't think they will actively look for a guy like that, just that they were smart enough to realize they had this great athlete on the roster, and had to utilize him...similar to when Kill ended up with Marquis Grey. Not his guy, but too talented to ignore.

There will be gadget guys in the future, I just don't think they are actively looking for a Seth Green replacement.

Seth Green has been such a weapon. I wonder if they are grooming someone else to do the same thing once Green is gone? Then will other teams imitate the Gophers in this model seeing they have been so successful with it?

No.

Teams don't try to identify players w/ skills for 5 unique plays a game; except the kickers. That said a coach can be creative in how a player is used once the skills fully emerge.

Just seems he has been so effective and some mentioned Marqueis as well. I just think if they threw a little more out of the situation that if would be even more effective.

Who knows ... I am also the same guy who thinks a team could have a designated field goal defender. Sign some guy who has a tremendous vertical or a high jumper without a scholarship ... put him in the middle and block field goals. Lots of those field goals barely go over the finger tips of players that don't leap that high. The "age of specialization."

Yes other teams will package a running quarterback for special situations...but they aren’t copying the gophers...they’re copying the dozens of teams that do that every year the last 20 years.

Just seems he has been so effective and some mentioned Marqueis as well. I just think if they threw a little more out of the situation that if would be even more effective.

Who knows ... I am also the same guy who thinks a team could have a designated field goal defender. Sign some guy who has a tremendous vertical or a high jumper without a scholarship ... put him in the middle and block field goals. Lots of those field goals barely go over the finger tips of players that don't leap that high. The "age of specialization."

I think you should consider that Green while doing a great job ... is effective in the roles he is in partly because he is good, and also the system.

Green isn't out there as a full time QB by any stretch of the imagination. He has done great in his role and is fun to watch, but it is a role.

If you look around there aren't guys playing a dozen different roles because, very few can.

We should always recruit elite athletes like Seth Green. We can find a spot for freak athletes.

As to Slab's point, it is noted, but it's also important to keep in mind that they built the system for Seth Green. This is one of PJ's greatest strengths (IMO), he has a system but he is 100% comfortable adjusting it to personnel. If we can recruit athletes like Seth, sign them up and put them somewhere. Seth's athleticism could allow him to play wildcat QB (which is essentially RB), WR, TE, he has the size and speed to play DE and possibly even safety in certain packages.

Adding to my point about PJ's ability to adapt to personnel, I think we'll see that with Spann-Ford. I was dead wrong, I thought they'd move him to DE because PJ usually doesn't use the TEs much. So I thought it would be a bit of a waste to have such a high caliber athlete essentially being a sixth OL.

We should always recruit elite athletes like Seth Green. We can find a spot for freak athletes.

As to Slab's point, it is noted, but it's also important to keep in mind that they built the system for Seth Green. This is one of PJ's greatest strengths (IMO), he has a system but he is 100% comfortable adjusting it to personnel. If we can recruit athletes like Seth, sign them up and put them somewhere. Seth's athleticism could allow him to play wildcat QB (which is essentially RB), WR, TE, he has the size and speed to play DE and possibly even safety in certain packages.

Adding to my point about PJ's ability to adapt to personnel, I think we'll see that with Spann-Ford. I was dead wrong, I thought they'd move him to DE because PJ usually doesn't use the TEs much. So I thought it would be a bit of a waste to have such a high caliber athlete essentially being a sixth OL.

I’m only commenting on your last sentence, but if you can create and extra gap and block it well 99% of the time, that would not be a waste of an athlete

Dylan McGill. He is a WR recruit but they hope to also use him in the wildcat.

Speaking of Seth, how many rushing touchdowns do we think he’ll have this year? Seems like it’ll be tough with so many mouths to feed. I’m going with 5.

Speaking of Seth, how many rushing touchdowns do we think he’ll have this year? Seems like it’ll be tough with so many mouths to feed. I’m going with 5.

I will take the over! He might catch that many TD's.

Gotta love Seth's attitude. IIRC correctly in previous GH posts, a heart to heart talk with PJ paid dividends. He wanted to contribute and get on the field in whatever capacity knowing his dismal chances as a starting QB. Thus born his Wildcat Option play.

I’m not sure too many would be as successful in the role as Seth is. His timing, his choice of holes, combined with his raw strength to over power, drag, and shed tacklers is really impressive. The threat to pass, his durability, his decision making, his punishing running style...Seth Green is pretty elite.

Yes, credit has to go to PJ for utilizing him! But Seth is performing...making PJ look genius.
And it is really fun to watch!!

Last edited:

Gotta love Seth's attitude. IIRC correctly in previous GH posts, a heart to heart talk with PJ paid dividends. He wanted to contribute and get on the field in whatever capacity knowing his dismal chances as a starting QB. Thus born his Wildcat Option play.

IIRC, you flat out said he was going down the wrong path until PJ helped his “maturation” process. Stop with this nonsense, please. SG17 has been an ultimate person and teammate since the day he arrived. Why are you determined to suggest he wasn’t and to praise PJ for ‘saving’ something that never, ever, needed it? It is puzzling and quite offensive. Either provide some detail or STF up.

I love Seth. And he adds a dimension to this team that really creates a dilemma for a defense. But my sense is that PJF would rather not have a Seth. He’d rather have elite players at all positions that can execute his system. I actually do not see us having another Seth. He’s a unicorn. And PJF will not recruit someone that would play this role. The only way it ever happens again is by necessity or happenstance.

Side note...

werent there rumors last year that they were moving Seth to TE, but then it was found out that he had too great of hands and he was going to be a WR? I wouldn't doubt if we see Seth not just play this gadget package that we became accustomed to, but will also will line up in various other packages...TE/WR/gadget QB. I predict an expanded role...and when you line him up more in standard packages, then we might see some very exotic plays from him later in the season.

Side note...

werent there rumors last year that they were moving Seth to TE, but then it was found out that he had too great of hands and he was going to be a WR? I wouldn't doubt if we see Seth not just play this gadget package that we became accustomed to, but will also will line up in various other packages...TE/WR/gadget QB. I predict an expanded role...and when you line him up more in standard packages, then we might see some very exotic plays from him later in the season.

^^^

Ciarrocca has a bag of tricks going back to WMU. Let’s keep him.

IIRC, you flat out said he was going down the wrong path until PJ helped his “maturation” process. Stop with this nonsense, please. [SG17 has been an ultimate person and teammate since the day he arrived. I agree.] Why are you determined to suggest he wasn’t and to praise PJ for ‘saving’ something that never, ever, needed it? It is puzzling and quite offensive. Either provide some detail or STF up.

Those underlined words are your twisted words. I never said those things. Read Post #19 again.

Look, in August 2018 PJ Fleck told Seth Green if he wants to play QB it wouldn't with the Gophers being honest with him. PJ suggested switching positions if he wants to play.

Seth was a big factor in the Gopher's success by switching positions.
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?86813-P-J-Fleck-and-Seth-Green

Seth Green's 2018 Season Highlights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeiwnlLWiS0

Last edited:

They might not use him in the WC as much this season, but it’s worth bringing it out occasionally just so opposing defenses have to spend time preparing for it.

Those underlined words are your twisted words. I never said those things.

4/22/19, 10:12pm
Seth Green and Kyler Murray, Post #13

Seth's greatest accomplishment is his maturation. He never lacked talent. He just needed to channel himself in the right direction where he can contribute and become a team player and leader. Kudos to PJ Fleck for nudging Seth. I wouldn't doubt that he ends up playing in the Pros.

Top Bottom