Poll! - Worst "acceptable" West finish

What is the worst acceptable finish in your mind

• Total voters
Poll! - Worst "acceptable" West finish

If Minnesota finishes below Purdue this season I will eat a pile of Purdue Pete’s creepy eyed poo.

I suspect we will pass up a few more as well.

If Minnesota finishes below Purdue this season I will eat a pile of Purdue Pete’s creepy eyed poo.

To be fair, we don’t really know what you are in to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect we will pass up a few more as well.

face1.jpg

Honestly if you measure success by wins and losses you’re missing the forest through the trees. If we are better tomorrow than we are today it is a successful season.

Is there some sarcastic retort to a Feckism in this? Or, when you say honestly do you really mean honestly?

What if every team in the BIG is better than they were yesterday? Now it becomes a measure of how much each team improved. I believe the common tool used for measuring success in college football is only wins and losses. You don't get to a college football playoff by improving, you get there by running the table.

For sure, you Eventually run the table by improving every day

Is there some sarcastic retort to a Feckism in this? Or, when you say honestly do you really mean honestly?

Well, I didn’t quote Fleck but I kind of copied him there. Wanted to see if I could get Spoofin riled up. It did. There is a lot of truth to it though.

You can have a 7-5 season that’s a major success and you can have a 10-3 season or a 9-4 season that is disappointing. Wins and losses are symptoms of a program. You can use them to gauge the health of the program, but they aren’t the only measures.

Well, I didn’t quote Fleck but I kind of copied him there. Wanted to see if I could get Spoofin riled up. It did. There is a lot of truth to it though.

You can have a 7-5 season that’s a major success and you can have a 10-3 season or a 9-4 season that is disappointing. Wins and losses are symptoms of a program. You can use them to gauge the health of the program, but they aren’t the only measures.

Like your fave Jeff Brohm?

I am not sure if you’re using sarcasm or not here. As I am on the record saying Brohm is very overrated.

You rip on Brohm every chance you get but he engineered probably the most impressive, zero to hero seven win season I can think of. Do you agree?

If you are posting nonsensical stuff just to rile-up Spoofin, I hope he’s enjoying rearranging the furniture in your cranium.

Jeff Brohm 13-13 since joining Purdue.
PJ Fleck 12-13

If record is all that matters to you, the choice is clear.

If you want a steady record of improvement every day, currently Fleck has the better trend.

Jeff Brohm 13-13 since joining Purdue.
PJ Fleck 12-13

If record is all that matters to you, the choice is clear.

If you want a steady record of improvement every day, currently Fleck has the better trend.

Big Ten wins: 9 vs 5.

Just give the man some props. Why is that so hard? Can we accept he quickly turned around arguably the worst team in the Big Ten while our boys are still rebuilding to a prior level of competitiveness (to cut you off - yes we all expect a competitive team plus more in 2019 building on the end of 2018 so don’t bother going there). The jealousy angle looks bad.

Just give the man some props. Why is that so hard? Can we accept he quickly turned around arguably the worst team in the Big Ten while our boys are still rebuilding to a prior level of competitiveness (to cut you off - yes we all expect a competitive team plus more in 2019 building on the end of 2018 so don’t bother going there). The jealousy angle looks bad.

But did you see Purdue against Auburn? Or Minnesota?

I think Fleck can accomplish more at Minnesota than almost any other coach out there unless Dabo is looking to move up here... Definitely wouldn’t trade him for Brohm or Frost.

Four questions:

1) How good are new DTs DewTreadway, Schad, Cheney, DeAngelo Carter and returning DTs Teague, Renner, Hickcox, Robinson? IF we find four defensive tackle guys who can stop a Big Ten run game, I raise expectations.

2) How good are Antoine Winfield, Howden, Sapp, St Juste (is he a safety?), Williamson (can he play safety?), CJ Smith, and Nubin (is he a safety?)
IF we find four guys who can play safety at the Big Ten level, I raise expectations.

3) How good are Dickson, Schlueter, JMS, Sassack, Guedet, Beier? If we get three guys who can play at level of Olson, Andries, Faalele, Dunlap, I raise expectations.

4) How good are we at kicker? If solid, I raise expectations.

Feel good about QB, RB (really good), TE, WR (really good), DE, CB, P. New DB coaches, new d-line coach have to get guys up to speed.

A few not about us: Are the new QBs at NW, WI, PSU, IL, MD game changers? Does the NE QB stay healthy? Does Iowa have a backup QB? Does Purdue?

But did you see Purdue against Auburn? Or Minnesota?

Why, yes... yes I did... and I enjoyed it immensely!

John nailed it: if you want to compare two programs, first and foremost take a look at the most recent head-to-head. Obviously, it's not the only factor. But it counts.

So, here's a question: will Purdue be "out for revenge" in 2019?

Losing non-conference games matter?

Sometimes it’s significant. Sometimes it isn’t. Who had the more difficult non-conference
/bowl game 2017-2018.

I just noticed when I gave the records of the two coaches, I gave for all games they coached.

When you gave your reply, you only gave a subset.
Then you didn't provide the other subset. (Not sure why). To complete the picture.
I find that odd.

I just noticed when I gave the records of the two coaches, I gave for all games they coached.

When you gave your reply, you only gave a subset.
Then you didn't provide the other subset. (Not sure why). To complete the picture.
I find that odd.

Are you sure you want me to post the differential in wins and losses and the jump in wins vs the prior regime with the worst talent in the Big Ten? Did you guys just start following the Big Ten or something? Brohm engineered an impressive turnaround. No, they aren’t a great team. Yes, MN kicked their butts last year but coach choked the year prior. Brohm is out recruiting PJ at the moment. MN looks poised to be competitive in 2019 after a wildly inconsistent 2018. There is a huge early season showdown - how does it go? Betting the inheritance on the outcome? Doubtful.

Are you sure you want me to post the differential in wins and losses and the jump in wins vs the prior regime with the worst talent in the Big Ten? Did you guys just start following the Big Ten or something? Brohm engineered an impressive turnaround. No, they aren’t a great team. Yes, MN kicked their butts last year but coach choked the year prior. Brohm is out recruiting PJ at the moment. MN looks poised to be competitive in 2019 after a wildly inconsistent 2018. There is a huge early season showdown - how does it go? Betting the inheritance on the outcome? Doubtful.

I simply posted the entire record for both coaches and admitted Brohm has the better record.

The you felt compelled to throw out non-conference games which include PJ's highest ranked win.
Now you're asking me to bet on a Gophers road game at Purdue?

Why are you so impressed with Purdue after two seasons?

I simply posted the entire record for both coaches and admitted Brohm has the better record.

The you felt compelled to throw out non-conference games which include PJ's highest ranked win.
Now you're asking me to bet on a Gophers road game at Purdue?

Why are you so impressed with Purdue after two seasons?

This has less to do with my opinion and more you guys sputtering about why Brohm gets more national love. Surely unless one is being intentionally obtuse :)rolleyes:) it isn’t that hard to discern the different trajectories the last two years. Last year ended on a high note for us, a low note for Purdue. Hopefully that trend continues but it is somewhat dangerous to draw sweeping conclusions on future outcomes based off those games.

This has less to do with my opinion and more you guys sputtering about why Brohm gets more national love. Surely unless one is being intentionally obtuse :)rolleyes:) it isn’t that hard to discern the different trajectories the last two years. Last year ended on a high note for us, a low note for Purdue. Hopefully that trend continues but it is somewhat dangerous to draw sweeping conclusions on future outcomes based off those games.

You and Brohm should get a room.

Purdue had/has major flaws and were wildly inconsistent. You guys seriously don’t understand why Brohm is getting accolades?

On here you can’t compliment Brohm w/o a few taking it as a slight against PJ. Not sure why, but I figured that one out a long time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure why a handful of people on a Gopher message board are so enamored by a coach at Purdue who has gone 13-13 in two seasons. Maybe we should talk more about Harbaugh returning Michigan to prominence, Chryst going 13-1 at Wisky and just missing the CFP, or the long-term success of Ferentz at Iowa.

Actually, maybe their agenda shows through clearly?

Purdue had a great stretch under Joe Tiller. Do any of the Golden Brohmers think he can achieve the same level of success as Joe?

I’m not sure why a handful of people on a Gopher message board are so enamored by a coach at Purdue who has gone 13-13 in two seasons. Maybe we should talk more about Harbaugh returning Michigan to prominence, Chryst going 13-1 at Wisky and just missing the CFP, or the long-term success of Ferentz at Iowa.

Actually, maybe their agenda shows through clearly?

I can simultaneously appreciate the instant turnaround at Purdue and AT THE SAME TIME appreciate that PJ appears to have the boat righted and headed in the right direction.

Im less impressed by Frost at Nebraska because he has yet to turn the corner for a program with as much talent as Nebraska. Could happen this year or they could continue to underachieve. I don’t know yet. Brohm — overachievement, Frost — underachievement. Fair? None of these things dictate future results.

Last edited:

Top Bottom