Poll! - Worst "acceptable" West finish

What is the worst acceptable finish in your mind

• Total voters
Purdue had a great stretch under Joe Tiller. Do any of the Golden Brohmers think he can achieve the same level of success as Joe?

Considering how he recruited last year if he keeps that going they will be a dangerous team in a few years.

And barely any mentions of Tom Allen on this board.
Tom Allen is 10-14 (10-15 if you count the first bowl game) since taking over Indiana.
Tom Allen has 4 Big Ten wins.
PJ has a better record than Tom Allen despite both starting their jobs within weeks of each other.

And barely any mentions of Tom Allen on this board.
Tom Allen is 10-14 (10-15 if you count the first bowl game) since taking over Indiana.
Tom Allen has 4 Big Ten wins.
PJ has a better record than Tom Allen despite both starting their jobs within weeks of each other.
I would hope so, next to impossible to win at IU. A successful season there is finishing 5th in the east, beat Purdue, go undefeated in non con and maybe win a bowl game, tough gig

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I’m not sure why a handful of people on a Gopher message board are so enamored by a coach at Purdue who has gone 13-13 in two seasons. Maybe we should talk more about Harbaugh returning Michigan to prominence, Chryst going 13-1 at Wisky and just missing the CFP, or the long-term success of Ferentz at Iowa.

Actually, maybe their agenda shows through clearly?

I think in part because many here viewed Brohm as a candidate for here

Are you sure you want me to post the differential in wins and losses and the jump in wins vs the prior regime with the worst talent in the Big Ten? Did you guys just start following the Big Ten or something? Brohm engineered an impressive turnaround. No, they aren’t a great team. Yes, MN kicked their butts last year but coach choked the year prior. Brohm is out recruiting PJ at the moment. MN looks poised to be competitive in 2019 after a wildly inconsistent 2018. There is a huge early season showdown - how does it go? Betting the inheritance on the outcome? Doubtful.

Only because our recruits are underrated, they'll all be getting bumps soon :D

Only because our recruits are underrated, they'll all be getting bumps soon :D

Well, a few of the guys ARE probably under the radar but that’s probably true of every team. Looks like Purdue currently has two 4 stars including a pro style QB. The good thing is all the teams in the west are similar enough talent wise it becomes a matter of coaching and development and maybe the odd under the radar or blue chip recruit making all the difference.

Yeh, I think PJ is a good recruiter, but the way he develops them in four different areas of their life, Academically, Athletically, socially and spiritually is where he can really coach up guys.
You don't need all 4 and 5 stars when you can coach up a zero star. PJ himself was a minus 2 star and made the NFL.

I think in part because many here viewed Brohm as a candidate for here

Brohm was hired at Purdue almost a month before Claeys was even fired. I don’t remember any talk of him becoming our HC.

I’m not sure why a handful of people on a Gopher message board are so enamored by a coach at Purdue who has gone 13-13 in two seasons. Maybe we should talk more about Harbaugh returning Michigan to prominence, Chryst going 13-1 at Wisky and just missing the CFP, or the long-term success of Ferentz at Iowa.

Actually, maybe their agenda shows through clearly?

Most are not enamored. It's because it clearly contrasts the directions two coaches, hired at essentially the same time in the same conference, took their teams over these past two years based on what recently proceeded them. Purdue had 15 total wins and 6 conference wins in the preceding five seasons; Gophs had 37 total wins and 18 conference wins in the preceding five years.

On here you can’t compliment Brohm w/o a few taking it as a slight against PJ. Not sure why, but I figured that one out a long time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prime example...

<b>Actually, maybe their agenda shows through clearly?</b>

Hey JG - what’s the agenda? Why do you care so much if folks like a Purdue coach that went 13-13 in two seasons?

Most are not enamored. It's because it clearly contrasts the directions two coaches, hired at essentially the same time in the same conference, took their teams over these past two years based on what recently proceeded them. Purdue had 15 total wins and 6 conference wins in the preceding five seasons; Gophs had 37 total wins and 18 conference wins in the preceding five years.

It’s a lot easier to make a bad team “average” than an average team “great.” Brohm has made Purdue average - kudos to him.

I’m far more bullish on the Gophers and our upside than Purdue and their upside this season.

Honestly if you measure success by wins and losses you’re missing the forest through the trees. If we are better tomorrow than we are today it is a successful season.

True.

But I’d rather finish 8-4 and be tied for 4th in the West than finish 7-5 and finish tied for 3rd.

Bad teams no one leads
Average teams coaches lead.
Elite teams players lead

Brohm may be one of the best coaches to coach in the Big Ten, but PJ is taking it to the next step with a players led team.

When players coach, the coaching improves exponentially.

I agree. The old top down ways are so 1990s. The new wave principle of self-guided learning holds true in everything from education to plumbing to pilot training. Players coach, coaches recruit players and tweet. At times they may facilitate personnel decisions and in-game strategy and calls but only after a vote or in consultation with one or a dozen team captains. A virtuous circle of life.

I agree. The old top down ways are so 1990s. The new wave principle of self-guided learning holds true in everything from education to plumbing to pilot training. Players coach, coaches recruit players and tweet. At times they may facilitate personnel decisions and in-game strategy and calls but only after a vote or in consultation with one or a dozen team captains. A virtuous circle of life.

Maybe we should measure success this year by how many captains we have. 11 players on the field, every one that is not a captain is a wasted opportunity

Brohm was hired at Purdue almost a month before Claeys was even fired. I don’t remember any talk of him becoming our HC.

I realize that, but I think many suspected Claey's wasn't the long term answer.

So more to my point, did we miss out on Brohm by being slow to decide what to do with Claeys, or did right guy fall into our lap

With that said, Im happy with PJ

So more to my point, did we miss out on Brohm by being slow to decide what to do with Claeys, or did right guy fall into our lap

I don't recall any indication that we would have chosen Brohm in any kinda alternate universe.

PJ was certainly well thought of at that time / everyone expected he would move up soon.

There was a rumor about Les Miles but only as an alternative to PJ and Les still seemed to think he would land a top job at that time.

PJ was definitely the hotter commodity at the time and had a more impressive resume than Brohm did and based on what has happened the last two years and what each team has coming back this year, I'm glad we have PJ.

PJ was definitely the hotter commodity at the time and had a more impressive resume than Brohm did and based on what has happened the last two years and what each team has coming back this year, I'm glad we have PJ.

I’d say they are pretty equal as commodities. Both hot names. Possibly both better fits at their current schools.
Both great coaches for second tier power 5 programs.
If I was a major power I would probably rather have Brohm.

I’d say they are pretty equal as commodities. Both hot names. Possibly both better fits at their current schools.
Both great coaches for second tier power 5 programs.
If I was a major power I would probably rather have Brohm.

MAYBE based on the limited data so far. But the smart money would be to wait and see if Purdue or Minnesota wins the West (and hopefully the conference) first. Then we’ll see who wants to keep climbing, and who wants to be Pat Fitzgerald.

Many people who commented on here haven't voted.

Second or tie for third. After the way we finished this past season.....and the amount of returning talent we have......the Gophers should be contending for the West this year.

I haven’t figured out how to vote using Tapatalk- is there a way?

Good question.
I haven't figured that out either so I always log in to reply to polls posted by Face The Facts.
It's worth it everytime. He has the best polls!

Many people who commented on here haven't voted.

I am one of those that hasn't voted because honestly have no clue what would be the worst acceptable finish right now in the West since things are so wide open. Fully healthy all year we should contend for the title but a few key injuries and all bets are off. So the answer I would give today and the answer I would give a month from now might be totally different depending on what the rest of the division looks like once games start and also how we are able to hold up health wise.

Looks like most GH'ers are happy with an acceptable season this Thanksgiving.

Top Bottom