Big Ten Media Day 2019 Discussion

Figured I’d start a thread on this as I hadn’t seen much discussion.

Here is Fleck’s presser. Went for about 15 minutes.

https://youtu.be/jfa00SZ4hek

I thought that PJ did his normal great job of representing the Gophers. What I found most interesting was the discussion with Frost about the new QB at the Ohio State. For those GH who aren’t familiar with the situation, a Freshmen (5 star) transferred from Georgia and was immediately declared eligible by the NCAA because he suffered racist comments from a baseball player. To bad, so sad. Frost see’s the NCAA actions leading to free agency.

Most interesting part of the coaches press conference was the guy who kept asking every coach about division realignment. Someone needs to tell him it isn’t happening.

Don’t know who has the final say, but nobody in the west should ever vote for it, nor should Michigan or Ohio state if it came down to a vote. Ohio stage and Michigan will forever be top 4 on that side. If you traded Michigan/Purdue for instance Michigan would have a much tougher route to the championship while making it easier for their biggest rival.
So any vote in my mind would immediately be 9-5 against.

Most interesting part of the coaches press conference was the guy who kept asking every coach about division realignment. Someone needs to tell him it isn’t happening.

Don’t know who has the final say, but nobody in the west should ever vote for it, nor should Michigan or Ohio state if it came down to a vote. Ohio stage and Michigan will forever be top 4 on that side. If you traded Michigan/Purdue for instance Michigan would have a much tougher route to the championship while making it easier for their biggest rival.

If Michigan relocates their franchise to Wyoming, I’m all for realignment.

In the five years of the East-West alignment, 2017 was the only year the East had an edge in the regular season in crossover games. The other four years were an even split. Of course, the East has won all five of the championship games since the geographical split.

Current split is right.
If MI or OSU were split, any year one of them didn't make their Championship game, it would be considered a "down" year for that team, and the eventual Champion will be looked upon as a weaker win whether they won the division and then beat MI or OSU in the Championship game (or weaker yet) if they beat another non-MI / OSU team.

This is far better. East will always be considered tough until the West gets to Indianapolis and beats up on an East team 3 out of 4 years.

Current split is right.
If MI or OSU were split, any year one of them didn't make their Championship game, it would be considered a "down" year for that team, and the eventual Champion will be looked upon as a weaker win whether they won the division and then beat MI or OSU in the Championship game (or weaker yet) if they beat another non-MI / OSU team.

This is far better. East will always be considered tough until the West gets to Indianapolis and beats up on an East team 3 out of 4 years.

Honestly the way the conference has gone since Jim Tressel joined Ohio state you can split the division any way you like and the division with Ohio state is going to have more big ten championships.

Scarlet Division
Ohio State
Rutgers
Maryland
Purdue
Indiana
Minnesota
Illinois

Blue Division
Michigan
Michigan state
Penn State
Wisconsin
Iowa
Northwestern
Nebraska

Which division wins more big ten titles?

There will be no realignment unless the schools change, which seems more and more unlikely. I see Rutgers or Maryland leaving as more likely than the B1G ever expanding again. The only team the B1G will ever add (in the next 20-50 years) at this point is Notre Dame. Texas or Oklahoma? Nope. Colorado? Better chance than Texas. Any of the dreg schools of the Big 12? No way.

There will be no realignment unless the schools change, which seems more and more unlikely. I see Rutgers or Maryland leaving as more likely than the B1G ever expanding again. The only team the B1G will ever add (in the next 20-50 years) at this point is Notre Dame. Texas or Oklahoma? Nope. Colorado? Better chance than Texas. Any of the dreg schools of the Big 12? No way.

I don’t see contraction or expansion as likely.
Splitting the pie two more ways would require you to bring in a school that adds more than their cut to the revenue. Notre Dame and Texas probably do.
Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado, North Carolina MIGHT
Iowa State, Pitt, Syracuse, Kansas DONT

You might be able to take one from the top group and one from the middle group. I don’t think you can take two from the middle group without losing revenue per school.

If Texas expressed interest in joining the Big Ten, the Big Ten would print and sign a contract as fast as it could grab a pen.

If Texas expressed interest in joining the Big Ten, the Big Ten would print and sign a contract as fast as it could grab a pen.

No way. No way. Conference suicide.

Top Bottom