Entertaining article on the grind of recruiting.

Good read. Lots of insight. I agree and know, for instance, not all “offers” are equal...at least for many programs. There is definitely a pecking order to the offers, most times.

Ya, Pitino had to be major bummed Walton was on fire for all to see. Evidently maybe Gabe never was?

Regarding the premise of the article... I think mid majors gotta do their homework. Some of these guys end up JC but more end up as transfers. Plus, you validate your evaluation skills. You network relationships. And one guy in basketball can change your coaching life.

Love this quote from the mystery mid-level coach on the cruits: ""He's one of those guys, if he plays well I won't be able to get him, and if he doesn't play well, I won't want him."

This was a great article, really shed some light on what some coaches have to go through to get the players they want or may never get the players they want

Good article. I'd love to know who the coach is that every other coach in the conference hates.

Sounds like a bad job!

I could never stomach having my professional fate tied to the whims of 17-year-old kids. I don't know how those coaches do it.

I could never stomach having my professional fate tied to the whims of 17-year-old kids. I don't know how those coaches do it.

Indeed, this story educates us about how limited the time is available to sell a kid on a specific college program. Does a coach really get an hour or 1/2 hour in the living room of a top prospect? Probably nearly never.

And the best coaches and programs have a huge advantage in the can get commits early and or wait to fill as kids often wait for the school they want the most. Big trickle up momentum. Very critical to find those guys that fit your culture and connect with the coach in a way they really do not want anywhere else. These kids are really smart about which coaches they like the best, who wins and who gets players to the NBA.

Hopefully for love of the game, coaching, educating and forming young men. But I bet mostly it's about ego and climbing the ladder.

I too would be interested in knowing who the coach is that everyone in the conference hates.

Article really shows how the reforms do little to even the playing field, and put even more pressure on the mid majors and non blue blood power fives. Reducing evaluation time in the summer really makes no sense at all. If they want the shoe companies out, the NCAA needs to sponsor a few all comer club events not connected to the shoe companies and hope the teams come. The shortage of evaluation time will surely lead to more transfers when lightly evaluated players find they don't fit. The system needed reforms, but it may be even more chaotic than ever.

Top Bottom