Bill Connelly's Big Ten West Preview

That’s 4-1 against non-conf/Rutgers/Maryland and 4-3 against an entire division of toss-ups plus Penn State.

It’s a 20-25% probability for me.

My wild guess is:
20-25% 6-6
40-45% 7-5
20-25% 8-5

And it behooves people to recall last year’s beat downs at the hands of Maryland and Illinois before cocking off about those games as “should be” wins. Oh right, post Rossi we’re Rose Bowl bound.

Not til he proves it over the long run, bub.

Your "wild guess"? What happened to logic and reason? What mathematical formula did you use to arrive at your probabilities?

Last edited:

Too bad so many posters here DON’T get it.

Even if you assume the three non-conf plus Rutgers and Maryland are wins (not a good assumption), we have to go 4-3 against what is shaping up to be one of the toughest P5 divisions plus Penn State to get to nine wins regular season.

I don’t see it. I see 6-6 or 7-5 regular season. If latter, then hope for the best in bowl game against a Texas A&M type opponent.

2018 Gophs were a serviceable DC away from two more conference wins.

At best there are four “should” wins.

Even by your measure we get to 8. Win the games you should (4) and split your toss-ups (4)
4+4=8.

Which games do you think they should win? Which do you think we have no chance?

Last edited:

This is essentially the same schedule Tracy Claeys had. That was nine wins and coulda, shoulda woulda been 11. It's been three years since we fired him to do better.

/ducks

Eight is within the realm of reasonable, in my opinion.

Huh?

Are you the same guy who posted this:

"Even if you assume the three non-conf plus Rutgers and Maryland are wins (not a good assumption), we have to go 4-3 against what is shaping up to be one of the toughest P5 divisions plus Penn State to get to nine wins regular season.

I don’t see it. I see 6-6 or 7-5 regular season. If latter, then hope for the best in bowl game against a Texas A&M type opponent.

Even by your measure we get to 8. Win the games you should (4) and split your toss-ups (4)
4+4=8.

Which games do you think they should win? Which do you think we have no chance?

Like I said eight not unreasonable. I think more likely 4-0 nc/Rutgers and 3-5 vs the rest, which are not all 50-50 games. But none are no chance.

Huh?

Are you the same guy who posted this:

"Even if you assume the three non-conf plus Rutgers and Maryland are wins (not a good assumption), we have to go 4-3 against what is shaping up to be one of the toughest P5 divisions plus Penn State to get to nine wins regular season.

That is funny.

You already quoted another post of mine that perfectly explains it. Not my fault you can’t comprehend how the two posts are perfectly consistent.

You and I have VASTLY different ideas of perfection, I'm afraid.

Like I said eight not unreasonable. I think more likely 4-0 nc/Rutgers and 3-5 vs the rest, which are not all 50-50 games. But none are no chance.

I guess that is where we differ. I think Maryland and Illinois @ home are should wins and I would group the rest as toss-ups. Looking at them individually I wouldn't be surprised by a win or a loss. I would be equally surprised if we lost all six or won all six of the toss-ups.

That’s 4-1 against non-conf/Rutgers/Maryland and 4-3 against an entire division of toss-ups plus Penn State.

It’s a 20-25% probability for me.

My wild guess is:
20-25% 6-6
40-45% 7-5
20-25% 8-5

And it behooves people to recall last year’s beat downs at the hands of Maryland and Illinois before cocking off about those games as “should be” wins. Oh right, post Rossi we’re Rose Bowl bound.

Not til he proves it over the long run, bub.

You have it as a 25% chance at the gophers going 8-5 when they play 12 games and then you call someone who says 9-3 unreasonable?

Here is a prediction for you. I predict you are no fun to be around.

I guess that is where we differ. I think Maryland and Illinois @ home are should wins and I would group the rest as toss-ups. Looking at them individually I wouldn't be surprised by a win or a loss. I would be equally surprised if we lost all six or won all six of the toss-ups.

Agree to disagree.

Typo

Sheesh, get a grip

For sure. It is me who needs a grip.

Not the guy who demands an explanation from random message board fans for saying the team might win nine games when he himself predicts 6-8

Don't know why this popped into my head...:p

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sShMA85pv8M" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Don't know why this popped into my head...:p

Really? Now, that's hard to picture: You having "no idea why". You seem like a person who is convinced they always know.

That being said, you're awfully hard to pin down on the question of exactly how you 'know'.

Really? Now, that's hard to picture: You having "no idea why". You seem like a person who is convinced they always know.

That being said, you're awfully hard to pin down on the question of exactly how you 'know'.

Good grief, you aren't even arguing with the right poster now.

He just moved over to ESPN within the last week or so. I don't know for sure, but I assume ESPN wouldn't want him writing for SB Nation anymore.

I’m sure you’re right DP. If he’s full time ESPN, doubt they would let him do that. Hope he finds a way to get his Podcast up and running. Was a great CFB pod. You do see guys like Frank Isola, who writes at The Athletic, crossover but that’s typically print to video content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sure you’re right DP. If he’s full time ESPN, doubt they would let him do that. Hope he finds a way to get his Podcast up and running. Was a great CFB pod. You do see guys like Frank Isola, who writes at The Athletic, crossover but that’s typically print to video content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PAPN will live on, but Godfrey will have a new partner. PAPN 2.0 he's calling it.

Not sure what Bill's pod plans are but safe bet he'll have something.

Top Bottom