Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default B1G Media Poll via clevelanddotcom has Gophers 6th in the west ahead of only Illinois

East
    1 Michigan
    2 Ohio St
    3 Michigan St
    4 Penn St
    5 Indiana
    6 Maryland
    7 Rutgers

West
    1 Nebraska
    2 Iowa
    3 Wisconsin
    4 Northwestern
    5 Purdue
    6 Minnesota
    7 Illinois

Champion
    Michigan 17 votes, Ohio St 14, Nebraska 2, Northwestern 1

Bulletin board material.

Picked 6th, but got a first place vote, which was one more than Purdue.
    Follow me on twitter: @skiumahgopher

I don't quite get the Nebraska hype.

Great QB, but confused beyond that. They won four of their last 6 which is positive, but...

October 20 2:30 p.m. Minnesota BTN W 53–28 89,272
    October 27[a] 11:00 a.m. Bethune–Cookman* BTN W 45–9 88,735

November 3 11:00 a.m. at No. 8 Ohio State FOX L 31–36 104,245
    November 10 11:00 a.m. Illinois BTN W 54–35 88,316
    November 17 11:00 a.m. Michigan State FOX W 9–6 88,793
    November 23 11:00 a.m. at Iowa FOX L 28–31 65,299

Was it the close loss at Iowa that gave them so much steam?
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

I think the media guys voted Michigan so they can write more Jim stories....

The Rodney Dangerfield routine has worked for Fitz for years and here we go yet again. Nebraska has probably the best QB in the conference but I wouldn’t put them at 1 either. I’m not sure I’ve heard PJ use the disrespect angle yet but he hasn’t felt we are ready to compete until this year, it seems. I’d guess the tone changes soon.

It is a wide open race and although I consider both Northwestern and Purdue to be dark horses (good coaches tend to keep their teams in contention even when there have been big graduation losses), I really feel the wide open part of the race to first place in the west will come down to Iowa as the front runner, Wisconsin and Nebraska as logical challengers, and our Gophers as legit contender although perhaps a year early. With that in mind, between MN, NE, WI, and IA: one of these four teams will have to finish a disappointing 4th or 5th. This media poll suggest the Gophers not only will have a disappointing season, but a huge drop off compared to expectations that would probably lead to coach-hot-seat conditions. I'm having a hard time believing that, although anything is possible and there are big surprises every year. Last year at this time people were weighing Wisconsin's prospects to be in the CFP.

If I had to pick them:
    East:
    Ohio State
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    Indiana
    Penn State
    Maryland
    Rutgers

West:
    Iowa
    Minnesota
    Wisconsin
    Nebraska
    Northwestern
    Purdue
    Illinois

I think the reality is that right now everyone in the West outside of probably Illinois has a shot at the top spot so the predictions will be all over the map and the margin between the teams is razor thin.

In fairness we are a tough team to get a read on because we ended the year so well but also had some major stinkers during the season against bad teams. Nebraska is the shiny team everyone is latching onto but it will almost certainly be a wide open race in the West. Michigan seems like the fairly clear cut favorite in the East most places.

Nobody is going to run the table in the West. Whoever wins the division is probably going to have at least 1 or two losses within the division. And - if everyone is beating up on each other - the deciding factor will be cross-over games. whoever does the best on their cross-over games will have a big advantage.

It is entirely possible that the team that wins the West could be 8-4 in the regular season. it is also possible that things wind up with a 2-way or even 3-way tie in terms of records, and we have to go to multiple tie-breakers to determine who is named as the division champs.

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    Nobody is going to run the table in the West.
    Except us...

A whole herd of dinks
    "A lot of guys look good running around in underwear." - 414GopherFan

Nobody is going to run the table in the West. Whoever wins the division is probably going to have at least 1 or two losses within the division. And - if everyone is beating up on each other - the deciding factor will be cross-over games. whoever does the best on their cross-over games will have a big advantage.

It is entirely possible that the team that wins the West could be 8-4 in the regular season. it is also possible that things wind up with a 2-way or even 3-way tie in terms of records, and we have to go to multiple tie-breakers to determine who is named as the division champs.
    I think it is very probable that you are right given the lack of a clear cut favorite or much obvious separation between the bulk of the teams.

You’d think that but in short history of the west division I think the division winners combined one loss within the division

I like to answer these questions multiple choice style and eliminate the team I know won't win first:

7. Illinois - Dumpster fire. Only question is not if they fire the coach but when.

6. Purdue - The Boilers still don't have the type of defense that can play reliably and will drop enough games to eliminate themselves.

5. Northwestern - Not sure their schedule leads to a top finish considering what they lost. Lots of questions.

4. Wisconsin - They get no break in their schedule at all. Play MSU, Michigan and Ohio State in their crossover games and have to go on the road to Nebraska and Minnesota. Not going to survive that much heat.

3. Iowa - They have to go on the road to play Northwestern, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. They get to play Rutgers but also have to play Michigan in the Big House and host Penn State. Tough to imagine them getting out of that with less than 3 loses.

2. Nebraska - They have a mandatory loss to Ohio State and a tough Indiana game in their crossover to go along with a trip to Maryland. They host all the West contenders except Minnesota, which is why the #1 team in the West is:

1. Minnesota - Crossover games @Rutgers, Maryland and Penn State after a bye week. Biggest game before final three is Nebraska at home or @Purdue. Not exactly murderers row. Last three of @NW, @Iowa and Whisky at home will determine if they win the West! I think we have the backs, receivers and offensive line to bully our way through those final three games and give us a shot at either Michigan or Ohio State!

Screw what the pundits say!