Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Face The Facts View Post
    These could become more common from a mental health standpoint.

There was an article I believe that 30% of our athletes are affected by a mental health issue. That could easily be a reason to not continue with football. If you are depressed, have anxiety issues, etc., those could all be reasons to quit football and seek the medical non-count waiver.
    Good point. College is tough enough. If you then add the pressure of competing at a high level and combine that with injury worries, you have a recipe for some mental health challenges. The resources are there to help with that and I hope that any player that isn't feeling quite "there" is using them.

Best of luck to him!

Remember, basketball had a medical non-counter for 4 years in Jarvis Johnson. The big difference is that Jarvis was on the roster and the sidelines for every game.
    Follow me on twitter: @skiumahgopher

Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    I donít think anyone has ever said a player was forced out by PJ. Yet we seem convinced that it is a common practice that Fleck will eventually resort to like the other coaches.
    Of course not, but it would be insane to act like you knew the particular reasons for a particular player.

I cannot imagine anyone following college football closely would ever come to any conclusion but that pushing players happens in college football. I am not sure why you are acting like the inability to speak towards a particular player's situation somehow contradicts a general narrative. It's always easier to notice and observe a general phenomenon that it is to find the granular examples.

For example, I think we can all agree that there are probably quite a few college players who use PEDs. I can't point to random people who haven't tested positive and say "that person is on steroids". However, that does not take away from the idea or likelihood that players are taking PEDs. You can say the same thing with players receiving money or getting help with courses, etc.

I think I heard on Burns’ podcast that he’s going to be in some type of coaching intern role with the team.
    "A lot of guys look good running around in underwear." - 414GopherFan

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    Of course not, but it would be insane to act like you knew the particular reasons for a particular player.

I cannot imagine anyone following college football closely would ever come to any conclusion but that pushing players happens in college football. I am not sure why you are acting like the inability to speak towards a particular player's situation somehow contradicts a general narrative. It's always easier to notice and observe a general phenomenon that it is to find the granular examples.

For example, I think we can all agree that there are probably quite a few college players who use PEDs. I can't point to random people who haven't tested positive and say "that person is on steroids". However, that does not take away from the idea or likelihood that players are taking PEDs. You can say the same thing with players receiving money or getting help with courses, etc.
    Your example is a poor one as you are referring to things players are trying to keep secret. I do not think that is the case with players being forced out. It happens, but I do not think it is super common. I think a coach would get a bad reputation if they did this often. It sounds like this was the case with St.-Juste at Michigan, and I've read similar stories happening at Bama, but these coaches have great reps, it would take a lot to damage them. The arguments for why a kid would keep quiet about being forced out are super weak. Once the kid lands at a new school there is nothing to stop him from opening his mouth, even before then it's debatable how detrimental it would be to speak up. If having an honest discussion with the kid about their chances of future playing time is considered "pushing them out", then I agree, that is common I'm sure. I don't even know if a coach even has the power to take away the scholarship without cause if the kid doesn't agree to leave.

Your example is a poor one as you are referring to things players are trying to keep secret. I do not think that is the case with players being forced out. It happens, but I do not think it is super common. I think a coach would get a bad reputation if they did this often. It sounds like this was the case with St.-Juste at Michigan, and I've read similar stories happening at Bama, but these coaches have great reps, it would take a lot to damage them. The arguments for why a kid would keep quiet about being forced out are super weak. Once the kid lands at a new school there is nothing to stop him from opening his mouth, even before then it's debatable how detrimental it would be to speak up. If having an honest discussion with the kid about their chances of future playing time is considered "pushing them out", then I agree, that is common I'm sure. I don't even know if a coach even has the power to take away the scholarship without cause if the kid doesn't agree to leave.
    Why do you suspect those you acknowledge having it happen to didnít bash the coaches afterwards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    Why do you suspect those you acknowledge having it happen to didnít bash the coaches afterwards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well since 2015 P5 teams are not allowed to pull scholarships for athletic reasons, so if a player wanted to speak out theyíd have to prove the reason they were cut was made up.

We get it, you don't think it happens.

This is the post I responded to: "I donít think anyone has ever said a player was forced out by PJ. Yet we seem convinced that it is a common practice that Fleck will eventually resort to like the other coaches."

We disagree on the difference between steroids, academic issues, and their comparison to pulling scholarships. The key is with ALL of the situations, there would be people involved with an axe to grind (see Gangelhoff, you can imagine a former college football player with an axe to grind coming at an old coach with steroid allegations, etc.). This isn't very complicated stuff. But we disagree on it and this argument has been beaten death.

The main point of my response is with your failed attempt to make it look hypocritical that people do not point to particular players while still accepting the common practice. That is simply the way life works. Think of how often things like this play out in real life.

Well since 2015 P5 teams are not allowed to pull scholarships for athletic reasons, so if a player wanted to speak out they’d have to prove the reason they were cut was made up.
    I know, there is a rule against steroids and paying players too. Problem solved.