Nolan Edmonds has retired from football due to medical reasons

Glad he’s able to get his education at the U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad he’s able to get his education at the U.

From the article: He remains enrolled at the U and will be considered a “medical non-counter,” the source said. This means his financial aid will remain for less than a year and he won’t be included in the program’s scholarship limits, according to NCAA bylaws.

Huh? How does this work? Does he get an academic scholarship?

From the article: He remains enrolled at the U and will be considered a “medical non-counter,” the source said. This means his financial aid will remain for less than a year and he won’t be included in the program’s scholarship limits, according to NCAA bylaws.

Huh? How does this work? Does he get an academic scholarship?

They have a non-active player scholarship system available for injured players. His funding will actually be for the entirety of his 4 years.

They have a non-active player scholarship system available for injured players. His funding will actually be for the entirety of his 4 years.

Here's the rule
(e) Eligibility Exhausted/Medical Non-counter. A student-athlete who has exhausted eligibility and is exempt from counting (per Bylaw 15.5.1.5) in the institution’s financial aid limit, or a student athlete who is exempt from counting (per Bylaw 15.5.1.2) due to an injury or illness may receive athletically related financial aid for less than one academic year. If an institution awards aid under this provision, the institutional financial aid agreement shall include specific non-athletically related conditions (e.g., academic requirements) the student-athlete must satisfy in order for the aid to be renewed for the next academic term or terms. If the student-athlete satisfies the specified conditions, the institution shall award financial aid at the same amount for the next term or terms of the academic year. If the student-athlete does not satisfy the specified conditions, he or she must be provided a hearing opportunity per Bylaw 15.3.2.3.
https://financialaid.arizona.edu/general/ncaa-manual-bylaw-15-financial-aid-excerpts

Wow - Alex Riegelsperger and now him. That is a lot of career ending injuries. And people thought Nolan Edmonds was transferring due to lack of playing time.

I often wonder how players like Rodney Smith, Shannon Brooks, and Antoine Winfield Jr if they will fully recovered to their injury enough to be the same player they were.

Wow - Alex Riegelsperger and now him. That is a lot of career ending injuries. And people thought Nolan Edmonds was transferring due to lack of playing time.

I often wonder how players like Rodney Smith, Shannon Brooks, and Antoine Winfield Jr if they will fully recovered to their injury enough to be the same player they were.

I thought he was pushed off the plank by PJ.

Thanks for confirming that! The quote in the linked article was misleading.

Here's the rule
(e) Eligibility Exhausted/Medical Non-counter. A student-athlete who has exhausted eligibility and is exempt from counting (per Bylaw 15.5.1.5) in the institution’s financial aid limit, or a student athlete who is exempt from counting (per Bylaw 15.5.1.2) due to an injury or illness may receive athletically related financial aid for less than one academic year. If an institution awards aid under this provision, the institutional financial aid agreement shall include specific non-athletically related conditions (e.g., academic requirements) the student-athlete must satisfy in order for the aid to be renewed for the next academic term or terms. If the student-athlete satisfies the specified conditions, the institution shall award financial aid at the same amount for the next term or terms of the academic year. If the student-athlete does not satisfy the specified conditions, he or she must be provided a hearing opportunity per Bylaw 15.3.2.3.
https://financialaid.arizona.edu/general/ncaa-manual-bylaw-15-financial-aid-excerpts

Thanks!

I thought he was pushed off the plank by PJ.

Went back and looked- don’t think anyone postulated that in regards to Nolan. Many, including I, spoke in generalities about hoping kids who compose our annual attrition aren’t pushed off the team. Nice try though[emoji6].

Went back and looked- don’t think anyone postulated that in regards to Nolan. Many, including I, spoke in generalities about hoping kids who compose our annual attrition aren’t pushed off the team. Nice try though[emoji6].

I don’t think anyone has ever said a player was forced out by PJ. Yet we seem convinced that it is a common practice that Fleck will eventually resort to like the other coaches.

I was one thinking he may have left due to playing time. Now with this new information we know.

Fortunately, I only speculated on a Gophers-themed message board where things like this are discussed along with other speculation.

My speculation appears to be wrong according to this. Hope Nolan does well from here on out.

These could become more common from a mental health standpoint.

There was an article I believe that 30% of our athletes are affected by a mental health issue. That could easily be a reason to not continue with football. If you are depressed, have anxiety issues, etc., those could all be reasons to quit football and seek the medical non-count waiver.

I don’t think anyone has ever said a player was forced out by PJ. Yet we seem convinced that it is a common practice that Fleck will eventually resort to like the other coaches.

If it helps, I believe it is common practice. I really have no doubt. I also think it is extremely likely PJ has already done it at some point. I don’t mean that badly either, it is part of big time sports - just like every business.

Sad news on Nolan. Wishing him the best.

I can't blame anyone for thinking long term. Best of luck to Nolan! Get that degree!

These could become more common from a mental health standpoint.

There was an article I believe that 30% of our athletes are affected by a mental health issue. That could easily be a reason to not continue with football. If you are depressed, have anxiety issues, etc., those could all be reasons to quit football and seek the medical non-count waiver.

Good point. College is tough enough. If you then add the pressure of competing at a high level and combine that with injury worries, you have a recipe for some mental health challenges. The resources are there to help with that and I hope that any player that isn't feeling quite "there" is using them.

Remember, basketball had a medical non-counter for 4 years in Jarvis Johnson. The big difference is that Jarvis was on the roster and the sidelines for every game.

Of course not, but it would be insane to act like you knew the particular reasons for a particular player.

I cannot imagine anyone following college football closely would ever come to any conclusion but that pushing players happens in college football. I am not sure why you are acting like the inability to speak towards a particular player's situation somehow contradicts a general narrative. It's always easier to notice and observe a general phenomenon that it is to find the granular examples.

For example, I think we can all agree that there are probably quite a few college players who use PEDs. I can't point to random people who haven't tested positive and say "that person is on steroids". However, that does not take away from the idea or likelihood that players are taking PEDs. You can say the same thing with players receiving money or getting help with courses, etc.

I think I heard on Burns’ podcast that he’s going to be in some type of coaching intern role with the team.

Of course not, but it would be insane to act like you knew the particular reasons for a particular player.

I cannot imagine anyone following college football closely would ever come to any conclusion but that pushing players happens in college football. I am not sure why you are acting like the inability to speak towards a particular player's situation somehow contradicts a general narrative. It's always easier to notice and observe a general phenomenon that it is to find the granular examples.

For example, I think we can all agree that there are probably quite a few college players who use PEDs. I can't point to random people who haven't tested positive and say "that person is on steroids". However, that does not take away from the idea or likelihood that players are taking PEDs. You can say the same thing with players receiving money or getting help with courses, etc.

Your example is a poor one as you are referring to things players are trying to keep secret. I do not think that is the case with players being forced out. It happens, but I do not think it is super common. I think a coach would get a bad reputation if they did this often. It sounds like this was the case with St.-Juste at Michigan, and I've read similar stories happening at Bama, but these coaches have great reps, it would take a lot to damage them. The arguments for why a kid would keep quiet about being forced out are super weak. Once the kid lands at a new school there is nothing to stop him from opening his mouth, even before then it's debatable how detrimental it would be to speak up. If having an honest discussion with the kid about their chances of future playing time is considered "pushing them out", then I agree, that is common I'm sure. I don't even know if a coach even has the power to take away the scholarship without cause if the kid doesn't agree to leave.

Your example is a poor one as you are referring to things players are trying to keep secret. I do not think that is the case with players being forced out. <b>It happens, </b>but I do not think it is super common. I think a coach would get a bad reputation if they did this often. It sounds like this was the case with St.-Juste at Michigan, and I've read similar stories happening at Bama, but these coaches have great reps, it would take a lot to damage them. <b>The arguments for why a kid would keep quiet about being forced out are super weak. </b>Once the kid lands at a new school there is nothing to stop him from opening his mouth, even before then it's debatable how detrimental it would be to speak up. If having an honest discussion with the kid about their chances of future playing time is considered "pushing them out", then I agree, that is common I'm sure. I don't even know if a coach even has the power to take away the scholarship without cause if the kid doesn't agree to leave.

Why do you suspect those you acknowledge having it happen to didn’t bash the coaches afterwards?

Why do you suspect those you acknowledge having it happen to didn’t bash the coaches afterwards?

Well since 2015 P5 teams are not allowed to pull scholarships for athletic reasons, so if a player wanted to speak out they’d have to prove the reason they were cut was made up.

Your example is a poor one as you are referring to things players are trying to keep secret. I do not think that is the case with players being forced out. It happens, but I do not think it is super common. I think a coach would get a bad reputation if they did this often. It sounds like this was the case with St.-Juste at Michigan, and I've read similar stories happening at Bama, but these coaches have great reps, it would take a lot to damage them. The arguments for why a kid would keep quiet about being forced out are super weak. Once the kid lands at a new school there is nothing to stop him from opening his mouth, even before then it's debatable how detrimental it would be to speak up. If having an honest discussion with the kid about their chances of future playing time is considered "pushing them out", then I agree, that is common I'm sure. I don't even know if a coach even has the power to take away the scholarship without cause if the kid doesn't agree to leave.

We get it, you don't think it happens.

This is the post I responded to: "I don’t think anyone has ever said a player was forced out by PJ. Yet we seem convinced that it is a common practice that Fleck will eventually resort to like the other coaches."

We disagree on the difference between steroids, academic issues, and their comparison to pulling scholarships. The key is with ALL of the situations, there would be people involved with an axe to grind (see Gangelhoff, you can imagine a former college football player with an axe to grind coming at an old coach with steroid allegations, etc.). This isn't very complicated stuff. But we disagree on it and this argument has been beaten death.

The main point of my response is with your failed attempt to make it look hypocritical that people do not point to particular players while still accepting the common practice. That is simply the way life works. Think of how often things like this play out in real life.

Well since 2015 P5 teams are not allowed to pull scholarships for athletic reasons, so if a player wanted to speak out they’d have to prove the reason they were cut was made up.

I know, there is a rule against steroids and paying players too. Problem solved.

Top Bottom