Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nolan Edmonds has retired from football due to medical reasons

Glad he’s able to get his education at the U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Gopher View Post
    Glad he’s able to get his education at the U.

From the article: He remains enrolled at the U and will be considered a “medical non-counter,” the source said. This means his financial aid will remain for less than a year and he won’t be included in the program’s scholarship limits, according to NCAA bylaws.

Huh? How does this work? Does he get an academic scholarship?

Quote Originally Posted by STPGopher View Post
    From the article: He remains enrolled at the U and will be considered a “medical non-counter,” the source said. This means his financial aid will remain for less than a year and he won’t be included in the program’s scholarship limits, according to NCAA bylaws.

Huh? How does this work? Does he get an academic scholarship?
    They have a non-active player scholarship system available for injured players. His funding will actually be for the entirety of his 4 years.

They have a non-active player scholarship system available for injured players. His funding will actually be for the entirety of his 4 years.

Here's the rule
    (e) Eligibility Exhausted/Medical Non-counter. A student-athlete who has exhausted eligibility and is exempt from counting (per Bylaw 15.5.1.5) in the institution’s financial aid limit, or a student athlete who is exempt from counting (per Bylaw 15.5.1.2) due to an injury or illness may receive athletically related financial aid for less than one academic year. If an institution awards aid under this provision, the institutional financial aid agreement shall include specific non-athletically related conditions (e.g., academic requirements) the student-athlete must satisfy in order for the aid to be renewed for the next academic term or terms. If the student-athlete satisfies the specified conditions, the institution shall award financial aid at the same amount for the next term or terms of the academic year. If the student-athlete does not satisfy the specified conditions, he or she must be provided a hearing opportunity per Bylaw 15.3.2.3.
    https://financialaid.arizona.edu/gen...l-aid-excerpts

Blog Entries

Wow - Alex Riegelsperger and now him. That is a lot of career ending injuries. And people thought Nolan Edmonds was transferring due to lack of playing time.

I often wonder how players like Rodney Smith, Shannon Brooks, and Antoine Winfield Jr if they will fully recovered to their injury enough to be the same player they were.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Quote Originally Posted by hungan1 View Post
    Wow - Alex Riegelsperger and now him. That is a lot of career ending injuries. And people thought Nolan Edmonds was transferring due to lack of playing time.

I often wonder how players like Rodney Smith, Shannon Brooks, and Antoine Winfield Jr if they will fully recovered to their injury enough to be the same player they were.
    I thought he was pushed off the plank by PJ.

Blog Entries

Thanks for confirming that! The quote in the linked article was misleading.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nsmike View Post
    Here's the rule
    (e) Eligibility Exhausted/Medical Non-counter. A student-athlete who has exhausted eligibility and is exempt from counting (per Bylaw 15.5.1.5) in the institution’s financial aid limit, or a student athlete who is exempt from counting (per Bylaw 15.5.1.2) due to an injury or illness may receive athletically related financial aid for less than one academic year. If an institution awards aid under this provision, the institutional financial aid agreement shall include specific non-athletically related conditions (e.g., academic requirements) the student-athlete must satisfy in order for the aid to be renewed for the next academic term or terms. If the student-athlete satisfies the specified conditions, the institution shall award financial aid at the same amount for the next term or terms of the academic year. If the student-athlete does not satisfy the specified conditions, he or she must be provided a hearing opportunity per Bylaw 15.3.2.3.
    https://financialaid.arizona.edu/gen...l-aid-excerpts
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    I thought he was pushed off the plank by PJ.
    Went back and looked- don’t think anyone postulated that in regards to Nolan. Many, including I, spoke in generalities about hoping kids who compose our annual attrition aren’t pushed off the team. Nice try though.

Went back and looked- don’t think anyone postulated that in regards to Nolan. Many, including I, spoke in generalities about hoping kids who compose our annual attrition aren’t pushed off the team. Nice try though.

I don’t think anyone has ever said a player was forced out by PJ. Yet we seem convinced that it is a common practice that Fleck will eventually resort to like the other coaches.

I was one thinking he may have left due to playing time. Now with this new information we know.

Fortunately, I only speculated on a Gophers-themed message board where things like this are discussed along with other speculation.

My speculation appears to be wrong according to this. Hope Nolan does well from here on out.
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

These could become more common from a mental health standpoint.

There was an article I believe that 30% of our athletes are affected by a mental health issue. That could easily be a reason to not continue with football. If you are depressed, have anxiety issues, etc., those could all be reasons to quit football and seek the medical non-count waiver.
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    I don’t think anyone has ever said a player was forced out by PJ. Yet we seem convinced that it is a common practice that Fleck will eventually resort to like the other coaches.
    If it helps, I believe it is common practice. I really have no doubt. I also think it is extremely likely PJ has already done it at some point. I don’t mean that badly either, it is part of big time sports - just like every business.

Sad news on Nolan. Wishing him the best.

Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

I can't blame anyone for thinking long term. Best of luck to Nolan! Get that degree!