Shama: P.J. Fleck Talks Long-Term Commitment at U

I do recall the women's basketball situation, can't speak to anything about softball. But if those are the only examples it proves my point that it doesn't happen very often at all and especially at the key sports like Football, Hockey and Basketball.

Maybe it is more common at the non-revenue sports, don't pay any attention to them so not sure.

Minnesota is a "helmet school" when it comes to college hockey. Unlikely we'll ever lose a coach to another college program.

We haven't really had enough sustained recent success in basketball or football for those to even be examples. PJ is young enough that if he has sustained success here, other schools will be seeking him out. And I wouldn't be shocked if he left, but like others have said it means we'd have a good program going and the next coach would be stepping into a good situation.

I won't be shocked at all if Campbell at ISU is gone to a bigger, better school in a couple years. Not that far fetched that it would happen here.

Matt Campbell seems more likely bolt from ISU than Fleck from MN, but we all realize that an OSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, or even USC offer could be a problem. As I said before, if PJF thinks he can get top talent to MN, he gets paid and can get a taste of success in the next year or two, he may not ever entertain those offers.

Maybe a desirable job from the perspectives or recruiting and nice geography, like Washington, Oregon, Tennessee, or Miami type offer could be a problem as well, but if you take PJF at his word those jobs do not fit the profile.

Well hopefully PJ doesn't read Highwayman's posts about how awful the weather is here or we will probably lose him to Arizona.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Are the knife-wielding polar bears back?

If he did what he did at Western Michigan.....WESTERN MICHIGAN FOLKS!!! He will do it here.

My question to you all. If he wins here and starts bringing home conference championships and who knows, maybe a natty, Fleck becomes a legend. With what he is building here with his culture, this could be something very special and fun to watch. He stays and the Gophs win, they build a statue and re-name the Bank, P.J. Fleck Stadium.

Or, like some of you are so worried about, he could go to Ohio State, Notre Dame....etc and be just another great coach in a long line of big names. I just don’t see that playing out. I think he stays and becomes the greatest football coach ever in the state of Minnesota and I believe he could be seen as one of the greatest coaches in college football all time.

I just go back to how he brought Western Michigan to the Cotton Bowl. If he could do that there, it will happen here. Western Michigan!! Good night! [emoji16]

Go Gophers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he...becomes the greatest football coach ever in the state of Minnesota and I believe he could be seen as one of the greatest coaches in college football all time.

There is zero chance of either of those things happening.

P.S. Non-Power 5 schools play in the CFP bowl games all the time - it happens almost every year. I'm not sure why you're pleasuring yourself over what he accomplished at WMU.

P.S. Non-Power 5 schools play in the CFP bowl games all the time - it happens almost every year. I'm not sure why you're pleasuring yourself over what he accomplished at WMU.

Zero chance?

If he did what he did at Western Michigan.....WESTERN MICHIGAN FOLKS!!! He will do it here.

My question to you all. If he wins here and starts bringing home conference championships and who knows, maybe a natty, Fleck becomes a legend. With what he is building here with his culture, this could be something very special and fun to watch. He stays and the Gophs win, they build a statue and re-name the Bank, P.J. Fleck Stadium.

Or, like some of you are so worried about, he could go to Ohio State, Notre Dame....etc and be just another great coach in a long line of big names. I just don’t see that playing out. I think he stays and becomes the greatest football coach ever in the state of Minnesota and I believe he could be seen as one of the greatest coaches in college football all time.

I just go back to how he brought Western Michigan to the Cotton Bowl. If he could do that there, it will happen here. Western Michigan!! Good night! [emoji16]

Go Gophers!!

I'll have what he's having!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I’m intrigued. Why zero chance?

Go Gophers!!

I mean Charlie Strong accomplished a ton at Louisville but did failed miserably at Texas, a much better job. Brady Hoke accomplished a lot at Ball State but failed at Michigan, a much better job.

So going from a worse to better job doesn't necessarily guarantee the results will be the same and could possibly be worse, even if the job is better.

Row the Boat Towndown Jesus just doesnt have a ring to it
Oh and you think OSU or Mich would allow oars on their uniforms?

Guys I would not worry about the bigger programs coming in and swooping Heather and PJ away but if Heather dislikes the cold or something happens that makes MN bad to them (weather - taxes - milfoil - etc) then they gone! but it comes down to the temperature range that I would be worried about

Row the Boat Towndown Jesus just doesnt have a ring to it
Oh and you think OSU or Mich would allow oars on their uniforms?

Guys I would not worry about the bigger programs coming in and swooping Heather and PJ away but if Heather dislikes the cold or something happens that makes MN bad to them (weather - taxes - milfoil - etc) then they gone! but it comes down to the temperature range that I would be worried about

Heather grew up in Kalamazoo, MI, so weather probably won’t be a big factor.

Many on this site predicting a 7-5 season, in year 3, and at the same time worried about a helmet school coming after PJ. Let that sink in.

Many on this site predicting a 7-5 season, in year 3, and at the same time worried about a helmet school coming after PJ. Let that sink in.

Lou Holtz as HC of Gophers

1984: 4-7
1985: 6-5

1986: HC of Notre Dame

I’m intrigued. Why zero chance?

I'm happy to take a bet at any odds you wish to offer that P.J. Fleck won't win five national titles at Minnesota, which would only be enough to tie (not even surpass) Bernie Bierman.

Lou Holtz as HC of Gophers

1984: 4-7
1985: 6-5

1986: HC of Notre Dame

1983: 1-10
2016: 9-4

PJF is no Lou Holtz

1983: 1-10
2016: 9-4

PJF is no Lou Holtz

I didn’t say he was. Lou had been a head coach for 15 years before coming here, and he did have down seasons in every job, including Notre Dame. It’s too soon to write the book on PJ.

I'm happy to take a bet at any odds you wish to offer that P.J. Fleck won't win five national titles at Minnesota, which would only be enough to tie (not even surpass) Bernie Bierman.

If I’m not mistaken, you said zero chance. Seems like I can just make up a number and if it happens you owe me. Isn’t that how it works?

If I’m not mistaken, you said zero chance. Seems like I can just make up a number and if it happens you owe me. Isn’t that how it works?

Yes, that is indeed how betting works. When it doesn't happen (and it won't), you owe me. Name the odds and the amount and let's make this happen.

Hey, how about, before you start designing the statue, maybe the Gophers.......oh, I dunno......at least win a division title. Which they could do this year - I'm not saying they will, but they could.

But beyond that, as we have discussed over and over again, the big deal is not having one good season. Other recent coaches have done that at MN. The big deal is putting two or three or four good seasons back-to-back-to-back.

And that is the point where Fleck might - I said might- have to make a decision. if he can help the Gophers become a top-25 level program, it is entirely possible that a top-10 level program may go after him.

If he stays, great. and if he goes, he will be leaving a top-25 level program behind - a program that will be much more attractive for coaching candidates. Indeed, in that scenario, I suspect the Gophers would be one of the more sought-after jobs in the country. (I can't believe I just typed that sentence.)

On the other hand, the Gophers could lay a big stinkin' egg, go 6-6 this year, and someone on this board will be starting the www.firefleck.com website. Who the bleep knows? the only thing that I am really sure about when it comes to Gopher football, is that I'm really sure about nothing.

Yes, that is indeed how betting works. When it doesn't happen (and it won't), you owe me. Name the odds and the amount and let's make this happen.

Hold on Big Shooter. That’s not the way a zero percent chance works. But I’m still curious why you feel PJF has no chance to become the best football coach in Gopher history. I’m in no way a blind follower of the PJF gospel. Never have been.

The odds that PJ becomes the greatest coach in MN history are extremely low, but most certainly not zero. I’m not even sure the odds that I do are zero.

The odds that PJ becomes the greatest coach in MN history are extremely low, but most certainly not zero. I’m not even sure the odds that I do are zero.

Historical context is interesting.

Let’s say for instance in the next 10 years the gophers won 4 big ten titles and 2 national titles.

Is 4/2 in the 2020s worth more than 7 and 5 in the 1930s and 40s?

For the record. I’m not predicting 2 national titles.

Top Bottom