Biggest worry for the 2019 season

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
The optimism has been flowing on these boards ever since the back to back victories over Wisconsin and Georgia Tech. There is a lot to be optimistic about: Lots of returning players, another year of maturity for a lot of these young players, returning stars, returning coordinators, etc. But, there is always the potential of another shoe dropping. The injury bug. College kids being college kids. Ball bouncing the wrong way in close games. And certainly more. Even if the team is improved, there is reason to believe it will be a wide open race between the old guard (Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska) and the new (Minnesota, Northwestern, and even Purdue), leaving 50/50 games nearly every week.

What is your biggest worry for the upcoming season?

For me, it is the defense. There has been a simplistic thought that many of have had that the change in coordinators "fixed" this problem last year so we can all assume things will continue on the path we saw at the end of the year last year. But for me, we have a relatively new coordinator now faced with a gauntlet of top coaches looking to expose his defense. There is film on schemes and players. Everything needs to progress up a notch.

And for Fleck, although overall my confidence has grown regarding his coaching abilities, his original selection for D coordinator was flat out bad and begs the question: If people were questioning the track record at Arkansas when he was hired, what was Fleck thinking in terms of what that guy could accomplish here and is it a sign he could have additional blind spots on the D side of the ball? That is my worry. Defense.

There is a track record of success on the other side of the ball and the improvement we have seen seems like a perfect fit to the history that was built at Western Michigan. I expect big things out of the offense this season as there are playmakers about to burst out and the potential to have an O line like we haven't seen since the Mason years.

I would say D-tackle, followed closely by the dbag depth.

My biggest worry is that TJ, Coughlin or Winfield go down.

Safety depth is a concern, and so is LT for me, I hope either Dickson or Schlueter can step up and be a quality LT.

The third OLB spot with Rush was more of a concern but I have come around to him after re-watching the spring game and some of the early games on him.

Roster wise, injuries. Last year was certainly hindered by losing Winfield, Brooks and Smith. Hope to avoid that this year.

Schedule wise, potential trap games. Fresno State was a tough task last year and could be pesky again. Plus there's always the potential in the conference season, too, 2014 Illinois always comes to mind. Can't really take any game for granted. Rutgers for example is always considered a lowly team but the 2016 Gophers only beat them by two, and last year they kept the game close against a good Northwestern team.

Gophs win too many games and have to find a new HC for 2020...:rolleyes:

Faalele staying healthy.

Line play and our season changed when he started playing.

Defense, we simplified and things got better but now teams get to scout us out...

Also the unnamed fear... injuries

How can I afford to travel to the big ten title game, the semifinal, and the national championship game?

Faalele staying healthy.

Line play and our season changed when he started playing.

You're getting right to the heart of the matter, in my opinion.

I am reasonably sure that there is a plan in place for big success in 2019, and I think The Plan revolves around a big, strong o-line and a consistent power running game.

The Purdue, Wisconsin and Georgia Tech games demonstrate how it will be deployed. Pound the rock, grind the clock. This will take a lot of pressure off the defense and the QB position.

That pop-up ads will completely take over all content on Gopherhole...

Oh man, I definitely meant dback depth.

In no particular order:

- Defensive tackle. Two guys we are counting on heavily, Dew-Treadway and Schad, have never played a snap for us. Teague played well at the end of last year but is still just a true sophomore. Renner and/or a freshman may be the 4th guy. Not a lot of proven experience. D-line takes time to build and we are still suffering from the neglect of the last staff.

- Offensive Line Depth. Our top 4 are impressive- the best since the Mason days. After that we have numbers but a lot of young, unproven players. If we have an injury or two this group may take a step back.

- Safety. Will Winfield stay healthy? How does Sapp perform in his first extended stint playing defense in years? Does Howden improve? Huff played really well last year and was a stabilizer. We may not have that if Winfield gets hurt.

- Quarterback Play. Morgan and Annexstad are serviceable, but will they elevate the offense? Can they take a step forward and can one of them be one of the top 5-6 QBs in the B1G?

biggest question/concern - I will go with QB play.

the pieces are in place for this to be potentially a really good offense. but, for it to be a special offense, the Gophers need better QB play. What I'm talking about is - a QB who can complete that 20-yard pass on 3rd and 15. A QB who can make the big play at the key moment in the game. In short, a QB who makes the team better.

If the Gophers get 'game-manager' play at QB, they can still be productive. But, as I said, for this to be a special offense, the QB has to make the team better.

Yes, I know the Gophers have not had that level of QB play for a while - maybe a long while - but all things being equal, I think better QB play could put this team over the edge.

Better QB play could be the difference between an 8-win season and a 10-win season.

How does everyone feel about the kicking game?

This is a huge concern until proven otherwise. I’d argue more important than Shorty’s concern above. TM2 imo is good enough in an offense like this. A great kicker is a huge weapon, an iffy one is disastrous.

Defense, is it fixed
Oline
Kicker
Qb

#1 worry has to be injuries to secondary, then d tackle, then offensive line. Injuries at safety or to any of “star” players like Big Dan would dampen enthusiasm

Maryland’s talent ranking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gophers go undefeated and are not given a shot at the national championship ?

Injuries are always the number 1 concern in pretty much any season.

A number of people have brought up concerns about people figuring out the defense, but I guess I worry a bit less about that after the bowl game. Georgia Tech had a lot of time to study the D and they couldn't come up with any ways to exploit it. To me that is a very good sign that maybe what Rossi is doing can work and isn't just a flash in the pan.

Kicking game is definitely a concern until we see if the new faces can cut it. After that it is dealing with expectations and becoming the team people think they can be.

Uniform combo for SDSU - gold / maroon / gold OR maroon / maroon / gold ?
Will Daniel Fa'alele's touchdown total for the season go over or under 2½?
Will all the wannabe Oakland Raider fans in the San Joaquin Valley that attend the Fresno St. football games be back playing beer pong in the parking by the end of the 3rd quarter?
Will the Georgia Southern players be able to handle the humidity?
Where will Beth Mowins shop without her annual trip to the Mall of America?
Will Faux Pelini reminisce about the Mike Riley days on Twitter on 10/12/19?
Will PJF ask Chris Ash if he can"text me your new phone number when you get hired as a D-coordinator at your new school this December" at the post-game handshake?
Will Antoine Winfield Jr. be offended when PJF only allows him to line up at QB while in Victory formation to prevent another season ending injury against Maryland?
Will Dilly Bar Dan be able to hold both a Dilly Bar in one hand and The Axe in the other?
Will the downtown Indianapolis restaurants still have their regular happy hours on the Saturday of the Big Ten Championship football game ?
Will Jim Harbaugh allow the Michigan equipment managers to bring the Little Brown Jug to the Big Ten Championship game? How many roses fit in the opening of the Little Brown Jug? What if rose thorns get inside The Jug?
Will the B12 Bomber flyover at the Rose Bowl be coming in from the my right to left or left to right? Towards me or from my backside?

D tackle.

Who will console Scott Frost after the Husker Hype - o - Meter breaks down on October 12th.

Top Bottom