First and 10: Best Big Ten rivalries (#2. MN vs wi, #4. MN vs IA; #10. MN vs MI)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Asmussen:

2. Wisconsin vs. Minnesota
The winner gets an Axe for goodness sakes. It helps that the Gophers appear to be rebuilding with P.J. Fleck in charge. The teams have played 128 times and naturally the series is tied 60-60-8. The Axe replaced the Slab of Bacon.

4. Iowa vs. Minnesota
The Gophers ruled the early years of the series, but it has been closer since Floyd of Rosedale was introduced as the prize. Originally a live pig, Floyd of Rosedale is now a trophy with a bronze pig on the top. Awesome.

10. Michigan vs. Minnesota
Note how many times Michigan makes the list. This is the third, tying with Ohio State and, oddly, Minnesota for the most. The series started in 1892 and the teams have been playing for the Little Brown Jug since 1903. Because they are in different divisions, the game isn’t played annually. That’s a shame.

https://www.news-gazette.com/sports...cle_94146697-354d-5485-a118-d7daea781a51.html

Go Gophers!!

oddly, Minnesota for the most.

Another example of lazy research, if any was done at all. When you win 7 national championships you tend to become a school others want to beat.

oddly, Minnesota for the most.

Another example of lazy research, if any was done at all. When you win 7 national championships you tend to become a school others want to beat.

Minnesota and Michigan are the only schools that are the primary historical rival of 2 teams in the conference. Based on playing history and an awesome trophy we're also Nebraska's primary historical rival in the conference. Ohio State shouldn't have shown up 3x - there's a rivalry there with MSU?

Minnesota and Michigan are the only schools that are the primary historical rival of 2 teams in the conference. Based on playing history and an awesome trophy we're also Nebraska's primary historical rival in the conference. Ohio State shouldn't have shown up 3x - there's a rivalry there with MSU?

Yeah, putting that rivalry last in this list is just lazy.

Not too bad of a list, I get having a liking to instate rivalries and adding them on there. It's interesting to me that Iowa vs Nebraska gets more attention than the Gophers rivalry with the Cornhuskers, considering we've played them more times and since joining the conference it's been pretty competitive. Plus online, if you look at Reddit and SB Nation, a lot of people love the Chair trophy and how it was organically developed.

Also, every time the Slab of Bacon is mentioned, I get the thought of just wanting it in the College Football Hall of Fame, rather than just Wisconsin holding it.

Not too bad of a list, I get having a liking to instate rivalries and adding them on there. It's interesting to me that Iowa vs Nebraska gets more attention than the Gophers rivalry with the Cornhuskers, considering we've played them more times and since joining the conference it's been pretty competitive. Plus online, if you look at Reddit and SB Nation, a lot of people love the Chair trophy and how it was organically developed.

Also, every time the Slab of Bacon is mentioned, I get the thought of just wanting it in the College Football Hall of Fame, rather than just Wisconsin holding it.

I think playing the game on Black Friday has a lot to do with that.

In addition to playing on Black Friday (or at least it should be), Iowa vs. Nebraska has a lot of vitriol hidden not far below the surface.

Minnesota vs. Michigan feels like it should be higher than some of those, but whatever. It does suck that they don’t play for the jug every year anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Minnesota vs. Michigan feels like it should be higher than some of those, but whatever. It does suck that they don’t play for the jug every year anymore.

I suspect that that's why it was downgraded.

If it weren't for the physical trophy it wouldn't even be on the list. It's not competitive enough to be a true rivalry imo, if it weren't for the Jug itself and the history of the trophy Minnesota would be just another game on Michigan's schedule.

The Brown Jug is just not competitive for sooo loonnggg! It's hard to call a rivalry so lopsided a great rivalry. Having lost our big lead in the Axe rivalry the past 16 years really stinks!

The Brown Jug is just not competitive for sooo loonnggg! It's hard to call a rivalry so lopsided a great rivalry. Having lost our big lead in the Axe rivalry the past 16 years really stinks!

At least we tied it back up!

Top Bottom