off season "what if" topic - Coaches

I thought Kill took issue with Kaler, Coyle, and Fleck; not the school or program. Am I mis-remembering?

As long as it's pure speculation, here goes:
Mason: built stability in the program and developed, arguably, the best running game we've had, possibly ever. If he'd have had a defense to go with the O, he'd have had us in a least 2 Rose Bowls and kept his job. Too many blown leads in games we had "in the bag", Wisconsin at the dome, Michigan at the dome, his last game in the bowl game where we blew a substantial lead yet again.

Brewster: a terrible hire, he sold Maturi a bill of goods. How Maturi survived this debacle is beyond me. This set the program back at least 5 years.

Kill: won over the hearts of Gopher fans, especially when Souhan called for the U to fire him because of his epilepsy. Kill could have been Coach For Life at Minnesota had he been able to control his disease. He let his emotions get the best of him regarding his tirade against Fleck. If anyone had reason to be bitter about his departure, it was Mason, and yet Glen has never publicly said anything negative about the U and has remained a positive supporter of the program. Fleck had nothing to do with why or how Claeys was fired, yet Kill was obviously po'd about the way his remaining staff was treated and some of PJ's comments about rebuilding the culture of the program.

Claeys: a great defensive mind but not a head coach at this level. I wish him well. He could not recruit against the likes of Ferentz, Harbaugh, and others in the BIG10.

Fleck: people may not like him because of his constant energy, so be it. Many times he's said that the demographics he is going after is NOT the 50 to 70 year old fan, but rather the 17 to 18 year old kid. The way they finished last season gives me hope that the players are buying into his system and the culture is turning a corner. He has a plan and he is sticking to it. Let's hope that after this year he becomes a target for anyone looking for a new head coach. Then we need to raise the bar and keep him. 8 wins or more this year is my prediction.

Mason- I loved the Mason era! Great running backs! Good linemen! Always entertaining! Blown fourth quarter leads were near historic and lended well to Vikings teams! He deserved a little more time in the saddle.

Brewster - what if he never was here and we went from Mason straight to Kill?

Kill - good guy with an unfortunate disease. Biggest fault was his unwavering loyalty to his assistant coaches. Which is the impetus of his comments about PJ. Re-built the program from the Brewster ashes and should be loved forever just for that.

Claeys - Umm, gotta do a better job with your players off the field there Coach. Wasn't ready for the top spot.

PJ - How can you complain about this guy? He's high energy but without Harbough's pompousness. He's a good recruiter without Brewster's lack of coaching. He's not afraid to fire coaches who ain't getting it done, yes Jerry, you should have sacked Limey! So he has a few quirks and gimmicks that seem to alienate some of the fans, the players all seem to like it! I really think this is the guy who is going to lift us into the top two spots in the West! If the cards fall in our favor, we could win the West as early as this year!

10 wins, Baby!!!

Kill - good guy with an unfortunate disease. Biggest fault was his unwavering loyalty to his assistant coaches. Which is the impetus of his comments about PJ. Re-built the program from the Brewster ashes and should be loved forever just for that.

10 wins, Baby!!!

Kill is the only one out there damaging his legacy here with the bitter ex-coach routine. If he had just kept his mouth shut and moved on he would have been remembered fondly by most fans for the work he did in cleaning up the Maturi mess (we all need to stop blaming Brewster for that the blame should go 100% to Maturi and the administration for being cheap and making a stupid hire).

Kill is the only one out there damaging his legacy here with the bitter ex-coach routine. If he had just kept his mouth shut and moved on he would have been remembered fondly by most fans for the work he did in cleaning up the Maturi mess (we all need to stop blaming Brewster for that the <b>blame should go 100% to Maturi and the administration </b>for being cheap and making a stupid hire).

Maybe we can put at least 1% of the blame on Brew?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom