Ex-Wazzu QB, No. 2 pick Leaf hired by ESPN

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
An interesting turn of events. Good for him.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27191481/ex-wazzu-qb-no-2-pick-leaf-hired-espn

The 43-year-old Leaf, a native of Montana, said he reached out to former players who had made the transition to television, such as Joel Klatt, Brady Quinn and Kirk Herbstreit, and they allowed him to shadow them on assignments.

"I realized two things: I really wanted to do it, and I really felt like I could do a good job at it,'' Leaf said.

Leaf credited Fox NFL reporter Jay Glazer for supporting and mentoring him as he attempted to enter the business; Steve Cohen, vice president of sports programming at SiriusXM, for building a show around him; and ESPN coordinating producer for college football Ed Placey for guiding him through the process with the all-sports network.

Glad to see this happen for him. Unbelievable arm who couldn't make it go for him at the pro level. I can still remember some of the throws he made in the Rose Bowl against Michigan.

He's had odd journey with few arrests inbetween

He's had odd journey with few arrests inbetween

As sad as it is to say, addiction to opioid painkillers, and the desperation it puts people through, is really not that odd. Absolutely horrible drugs

Happy for him. Seems to be focused on doing things right after a very rocky, checkered playing career.

Johnny Football may yet need a decade or two to reach the same crossroads.

As sad as it is to say, addiction to opioid painkillers, and the desperation it puts people through, is really not that odd. Absolutely horrible drugs

I couldn’t agree more. Which makes it all that more of an accomplishment by Ryan. I wish him the best and look forward to watching his commentary this fall.

Incidentally, I was at his last game as a college player. It was the 2008 Rose Bowl. They lost to undefeated Michigan and Charles Woodson.

Happy for him and good for Ryan Leaf, even though ESPN continues to be somewhat of a dumpster fire.

It's hard to forget, "Knock it off!!!!"

This feels like a sort of desperate move for ESPN. They're just diving into the reality TV drama ...

Oh, crap...Move over Beth Mowins, here comes Ryan Leaf.

Top Bottom