STrib: Gophers associate AD tells regents many athletes seek mental health services

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Between 30% and 40% of Gophers athletes used the athletic department’s sports psychology services last school year, senior associate athletic director Joi Thomas told the Board of Regents on Thursday.

Thomas cited that statistic during a presentation on the athletic department’s emphasis on improving mental health awareness, which was a key part of AD Mark Coyle’s annual report before the Board.

The numbers immediately caught the attention of Joan Gabel, the school’s new president.

Gabel, previously the provost at South Carolina, spoke about how passionate she is on student mental health issues, something she describes as an “epidemic” and a “crisis” at universities across the country.

“Often well over 40 percent of our students arrive on campus with a mental health diagnosis,” Gabel said, speaking generally. “And then we receive them where they are, as their institution, as their home and as a member of our community and our family.

“Of course, we want to provide the appropriate resources for the care associated with receiving that diagnosis. But we also want our students to be successful.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...hletes-seek-mental-health-services/512616162/

Go Gophers!!

I'd look at that as a healthy sign that lots of kids are getting help. Good for them for identifying it, dealing with it and creating an atmosphere where kids aren't afraid to get help because they might get labeled as weak.

I'd look at that as a healthy sign that lots of kids are getting help. Good for them for identifying it, dealing with it and creating an atmosphere where kids aren't afraid to get help because they might get labeled as weak.

Agreed, and hopefully the U is doing what they need to do to properly support the students and get them the help they need.

This is the next “edge” that clever and forward looking ADs can gain.

First it was intensive weight and speed training programs, pioneered by Nebraska decades ago. Now that’s ubiquitous, even at he high school level.
Next, it was nutrition. Not sure if any one school pioneered that, but I’m sure the mega schools were the first to invest in sports nutritionists on staff. Now I would bet most if not all DI teams have them or consult with them.
Facilities arms races have been heating up for a while now, as well.

I absolutely think mental health is this next edge. Counseling, mentoring, and maybe best of all, performance coaching. Optimizing the minds of the players, for peak performance:

Get it done Coyle. Don’t let Minnesota be near the last to adopt!

Hopefully the school is proving appropriate counseling, coping strategies, and medical referrals as needed. Genetic, medical, societal, technological, family issues contributing to the anxiety and depression issues in young people.

My hunch is the percentage of Gopher athletes seeking mental health help mirrors the general student population.

Kids nowadays are under a lot of stress.

The Gophers have a Sports Psychologist on their staff. IDK if his role is all about sports performance exclusively or if he also coordinates mental health counseling.

The Athletic Department must have counselors on staff at the performance center.

I think the headline is misleading. "Sports Psychology services" does not mean a player is necessarily having mental health issues.

According to the U of MN website, here are some of the things that fall under Sports Psychology Services:

Common topics may include, but are not limited to:
Sport confidence/consistency
Relationships
Adjusting to college
Transition to life after sport
Building resiliency & dealing with adveristy
Feelings of overwhelm, stress, anxiety or worry
Academic or career concerns
Sadness, hopelessness
Isolation, Homesickness, Loneliness
Leadership
Time Management
Family problems
Injury recoveryDisordered eating/Body image
Anger
Trauma
Grief
Pregnancy
Substance abuse
LGBTQ topics
Identity
Communication skills
Improving focus & concentration
Personal stressors (e.g., finances, etc.)
Test or performance anxiety
Self-esteem
Sleep & self-care
Referrals

If we feel that more specialized or long-term treatment is needed, the student-athlete may be referred to a campus psychologist/psychiatrist at Boynton Health Services or a counselor at Student Counseling Services. Referrals may also be made to a number of external resources (e.g. specialized treatment center, support group, inpatient-day program, etc)

This is the next “edge” that clever and forward looking ADs can gain.

...I’m sure the mega schools were the first to invest in sports nutritionists on staff. Now I would bet most if not all DI teams have them or consult with them.

Noticed that Leslee Sholomskas the Nutritionist from last year is not on the new coaching staff roster. An oversight or did I fall asleep and miss something again? Upon awakening, discovered that her Linkdin profile still has her in the MN program.

Last edited:

Top Bottom