Sid Hartman: Fleck redshirt ready

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Fleck redshirt ready

Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck said one of the most intriguing parts of his roster for next season, which will feature just 12 seniors, is a large number of redshirt freshman who will step into bigger roles.

Fleck said that the team is getting closer to having the kind of roster that can basically manage itself.

“We feel like a lot of guys who will be able to [play],” Fleck said. “Brevyn Spann-Ford, Curtis Dunlap Jr., there’s a lot of [redshirt freshman] that are very talented,” Fleck said. “And our true freshman that we continue to talk about, James Gordon and Tyler Nubin’s, guys like that that we feel can help us, as well. I really like our football team right now. I like the way they’re working. I love the way they’ve come together.

“We’re doing everything we can to push toward this team-ran program. This team ran team. The players ran team. We’re getting closer to that.”

http://www.startribune.com/glen-tay...wolves-reshape-roster/512561492/?refresh=true

Go Gophers!!

PJ has had an ongoing narrative about having leaders at various levels / positions, and players provide each other with motivation and help and etc.

PJ has said a few things to the effect that once the game starts and the guys are on the field you can send them out there, but the players have to pick each other up on the field and motivate each other and make plays and not just let things happen. He noted the first year that there weren't many guys fulfilling that role.

I suspect that is what he is referencing.

Does this mean that Sid is done asking Fleck which RS players will contribute this year during the weekly interview?

He has always said something to the effect of :
Bad teams - Coaches Lead
Average Teams - Some coaches lead, some players lead
Great teams - Players Lead

Or something like that. Believe that is what he is referring to, or at least thats how I read it.

Does this mean that Sid is done asking Fleck which RS players will contribute this year during the weekly interview?

Never underestimate the ability of a 98-year-old, nearly deaf sportswriter to keep asking the same questions over and over again.

Every Twins interview he does, he asks the player how the hitting coach has helped him - or for a pitcher, how the pitching coach has helped him. every time.

Or the variation - "who has helped you the most in your career?"

hey - whatever you think about Sid, he is without question the best 98-year-old who is still serving as the co-host of a weekly radio show.

PJ has had an ongoing narrative about having leaders at various levels / positions, and players provide each other with motivation and help and etc.

PJ has said a few things to the effect that once the game starts and the guys are on the field you can send them out there, but the players have to pick each other up on the field and motivate each other and make plays and not just let things happen. He noted the first year that there weren't many guys fulfilling that role.

I suspect that is what he is referencing.

Goes back to the Row the Boat. Do your job, while you may not think you're doing anything as you're double teamed etc., you're opening holes elsewhere or whatever for someone else to clean up on the play. Its the little things that will make a play jell. In addition to the many things that will never show up on the stat sheet that are extremely important that allows a successful play to happen.

Goes back to the Row the Boat. Do your job, while you may not think you're doing anything as you're double teamed etc., you're opening holes elsewhere or whatever for someone else to clean up on the play. Its the little things that will make a play jell. In addition to the many things that will never show up on the stat sheet that are extremely important that allows a successful play to happen.

Probably not along the same slogan, but similar line of thinking Kirk Ciarrocca said There's no point in me calling that play if I don't think they can make it.

That puts the onus on the player to show he can make the play if he wants it called, not just the player hoping it gets called or wondering why or something

god I hope not. I forget the answer from week to week.

I wonder if players really lead or if PJ is lying?

Raise your hand if you don’t think PJ leads every aspect of this team. Maybe he self-identifies as a facilitator instead of a leader. Interesting to think about. Will keep me busy this weekend.

He has always said something to the effect of :
Bad teams - Coaches Lead
Average Teams - Some coaches lead, some players lead
Great teams - Players Lead

Or something like that. Believe that is what he is referring to, or at least thats how I read it.

59d534048b2a2833322e2c086fdb2095.jpg

I understand what he’s trying to accomplish, but I would argue both coaches and players lead great teams. He knows that too, but the slogan wouldn’t be as catchy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are good and bad leaders...yeah, this could get into the deep weeds quickly. Many people want to be led...not lead. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. Semantics.

With the headline I thought maybe PJ had a year of eligibility left haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom