Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1

    Default Sid Hartman: Fleck redshirt ready

    per Sid:

    Fleck redshirt ready

    Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck said one of the most intriguing parts of his roster for next season, which will feature just 12 seniors, is a large number of redshirt freshman who will step into bigger roles.

    Fleck said that the team is getting closer to having the kind of roster that can basically manage itself.

    “We feel like a lot of guys who will be able to [play],” Fleck said. “Brevyn Spann-Ford, Curtis Dunlap Jr., there’s a lot of [redshirt freshman] that are very talented,” Fleck said. “And our true freshman that we continue to talk about, James Gordon and Tyler Nubin’s, guys like that that we feel can help us, as well. I really like our football team right now. I like the way they’re working. I love the way they’ve come together.

    “We’re doing everything we can to push toward this team-ran program. This team ran team. The players ran team. We’re getting closer to that.”

    http://www.startribune.com/glen-tayl.../?refresh=true

    Go Gophers!!


  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    per Sid:


    “We’re doing everything we can to push toward this team-ran program. This team ran team. The players ran team. We’re getting closer to that.”
    wut?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TurfGopher View Post
    wut?
    PJ has had an ongoing narrative about having leaders at various levels / positions, and players provide each other with motivation and help and etc.

    PJ has said a few things to the effect that once the game starts and the guys are on the field you can send them out there, but the players have to pick each other up on the field and motivate each other and make plays and not just let things happen. He noted the first year that there weren't many guys fulfilling that role.

    I suspect that is what he is referencing.

  4. #4

    Default

    Does this mean that Sid is done asking Fleck which RS players will contribute this year during the weekly interview?
    Ski-U-Mah is Native American for "we're in a rebuilding year"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kingfield, Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TurfGopher View Post
    wut?
    He has always said something to the effect of :
    Bad teams - Coaches Lead
    Average Teams - Some coaches lead, some players lead
    Great teams - Players Lead

    Or something like that. Believe that is what he is referring to, or at least thats how I read it.
    JUST WIN BABY!

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyganas View Post
    Does this mean that Sid is done asking Fleck which RS players will contribute this year during the weekly interview?
    Hopefully not.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Windom, MN
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyganas View Post
    Does this mean that Sid is done asking Fleck which RS players will contribute this year during the weekly interview?
    Never underestimate the ability of a 98-year-old, nearly deaf sportswriter to keep asking the same questions over and over again.

    Every Twins interview he does, he asks the player how the hitting coach has helped him - or for a pitcher, how the pitching coach has helped him. every time.

    Or the variation - "who has helped you the most in your career?"

    hey - whatever you think about Sid, he is without question the best 98-year-old who is still serving as the co-host of a weekly radio show.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    PJ has had an ongoing narrative about having leaders at various levels / positions, and players provide each other with motivation and help and etc.

    PJ has said a few things to the effect that once the game starts and the guys are on the field you can send them out there, but the players have to pick each other up on the field and motivate each other and make plays and not just let things happen. He noted the first year that there weren't many guys fulfilling that role.

    I suspect that is what he is referencing.
    Goes back to the Row the Boat. Do your job, while you may not think you're doing anything as you're double teamed etc., you're opening holes elsewhere or whatever for someone else to clean up on the play. Its the little things that will make a play jell. In addition to the many things that will never show up on the stat sheet that are extremely important that allows a successful play to happen.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by #2Gopher View Post
    Goes back to the Row the Boat. Do your job, while you may not think you're doing anything as you're double teamed etc., you're opening holes elsewhere or whatever for someone else to clean up on the play. Its the little things that will make a play jell. In addition to the many things that will never show up on the stat sheet that are extremely important that allows a successful play to happen.
    Probably not along the same slogan, but similar line of thinking Kirk Ciarrocca said There's no point in me calling that play if I don't think they can make it.

    That puts the onus on the player to show he can make the play if he wants it called, not just the player hoping it gets called or wondering why or something

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    9,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyganas View Post
    Does this mean that Sid is done asking Fleck which RS players will contribute this year during the weekly interview?
    god I hope not. I forget the answer from week to week.
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TurfGopher View Post
    wut?
    Coach-speak...

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparlimb View Post
    god I hope not. I forget the answer from week to week.
    This thread is a day old and I'm already starting wonder what RS players will contribute....

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    This thread is a day old and I'm already starting wonder what RS players will contribute....

  14. #14

    Default

    I wonder if players really lead or if PJ is lying?

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    I wonder if players really lead or if PJ is lying?
    Both.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •