Gopher Basketball Recruits May Miss Out on Finding a Chair at the Table!

So you incessantly talk about how you want to see Top 4 finishes, yet despite the bolded quote above, we finished in the Top 4 in 2017. But you also say we've never "sniffed the top of the conference"? I guess you're just being pretty damn selective?

Finish top 4 on a regular basis. Being 4,5,6,7 games out of first place is not sniffing the top of the conference. There is no getting around that sub .400 winning % in the conference. Unless of course your one of those fans that think in year 6 that 9-11 is impressive and love to use the words But, could have, would have. Which is fine, each fan can decide for themselves what is good enough, what is impressive, what is great or for that matter what is awful. I could care less if other fans are content with whatever record we have. I suppose your right about being selective as the nature of a opinion is a persons built in bias. I try and reflect the good and the bad i see and often praise what i see as something that was well done. After all is said and done it is a bottom line business and the record is what it is. This board is about individuals sharing observations and opinions, no one more important than the other. If there are posters that someone does not like, skip over them. I do not subscribe to some maroon and gold glasses to get into some group think. Not the nature of how i was raised or how i have lived. I look at all the factors involved in this program over 50 years and overall i see mediocrity. I never said that my opinion carried greater power than someone else's.

Well that is being pretty damn selective. What about the record versus ranked teams, Conference record . It is a bottom line business. The goal is not too do better than Minnesota has done because that is a very mediocre history. The goal is to win Big 10 titles, make final 4's, do something really special. On the other hand it is way t early to judge the 2020 class and overall i like most of what he has brought in, minus the bad characters. The talent is there but we a far away from seeing him build a great team. Win the conference and i will think he is pretty good. Not even sniffing the top of the conference even once in 6 years spells nothing close to impressive.

I was responding to a very selective comment about Pitino having the worst record in Gopher history with the comment that he also had one of the best records in Gopher history.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finish top 4 on a regular basis. Being 4,5,6,7 games out of first place is not sniffing the top of the conference. There is no getting around that sub .400 winning % in the conference. Unless of course your one of those fans that think in year 6 that 9-11 is impressive and love to use the words But, could have, would have. Which is fine, each fan can decide for themselves what is good enough, what is impressive, what is great or for that matter what is awful. I could care less if other fans are content with whatever record we have. I suppose your right about being selective as the nature of a opinion is a persons built in bias. I try and reflect the good and the bad i see and often praise what i see as something that was well done. After all is said and done it is a bottom line business and the record is what it is. This board is about individuals sharing observations and opinions, no one more important than the other. If there are posters that someone does not like, skip over them. I do not subscribe to some maroon and gold glasses to get into some group think. Not the nature of how i was raised or how i have lived. I look at all the factors involved in this program over 50 years and overall i see mediocrity. I never said that my opinion carried greater power than someone else's.

One more time built. You are not special. You are not alone in wanting sustainable success for Mn bb.

List all the coaches that were beating down the door when Clem was fired.

One more time built. You are not special. You are not alone in wanting sustainable success for Mn bb.

List all the coaches that were beating down the door when Clem was fired.

Have posted numerous times that i never considered my opinion more important than anyone else. Have also posted at least a half dozen times that it is a hard job and even more difficult to find a great coach. Most schools never find that truly special coach. There are coaches that have won in a big way in situations as bad or worse than this program.

Have posted numerous times that i never considered my opinion more important than anyone else. Have also posted at least a half dozen times that it is a hard job and even more difficult to find a great coach. Most schools never find that truly special coach. There are coaches that have won in a big way in situations as bad or worse than this program.

You want it both ways. Cant have it both ways.

List the coaches that have been beating down the door to the U of MN the last 2 decades.

we all want sustained success. But we've all seen the constant restart isn't the answer

We gambled on a young coach, I think most of knew we would be going a bit through his learning curve with hopes of long term payoff

Must have not read my post that stated that not only is it a hard job but hiring the right guy even more difficult. I have had a front row seat to how the hiring process worked here all the way up until Coyle. Coyle went about finding out who the best young coach was from the best and they shouted that it was Fleck. The 5 previous AD's had no clue and that Scum Teague was trying to win a press conference and too curry favor with those that helped him earlier. I had laid out a path how others did it with great results on guys the public knew little about but the best minds in the game knew of very well. Our guy was not respected in that way . Better coaches have been hired since.

No you said not even sniffing the top of the conference once in 6 years. That wasn’t true. Own it.
Do we want the team to be better - yes everyone wants more success.

Must have not read my post that stated that not only is it a hard job but hiring the right guy even more difficult. I have had a front row seat to how the hiring process worked here all the way up until Coyle. Coyle went about finding out who the best young coach was from the best and they shouted that it was Fleck. The 5 previous AD's had no clue and that Scum Teague was trying to win a press conference and too curry favor with those that helped him earlier. I had laid out a path how others did it with great results on guys the public knew little about but the best minds in the game knew of very well. Our guy was not respected in that way . Better coaches have been hired since.

I read your posts. You want it both ways. No.

List of those wanting to come here over the past two decades.

Wanting to come here ! No one wanted to go to Washington State, UW, UVA, Buffalo and Alabama. They found them before someone else did and before those coaches could name that job.

No you said not even sniffing the top of the conference once in 6 years. That wasn’t true. Own it.
Do we want the team to be better - yes everyone wants more success.

Finishing 4th, that many games out is not competing for the conference championship.

How can you miss out on a seat when we haven't signed anyone yet?

Wanting to come here ! No one wanted to go to Washington State, UW, UVA, Buffalo and Alabama. They found them before someone else did and before those coaches could name that job.

Your point is a little scattered here..... Kyle Smith hasn't done anything at WSU yet and had a .44 winning percentage in the IVY LEAGUE. Succeeding in Buffalo's league is a little different mountain to climb than having a program that has not won big in 50 years succeed in the Big Ten. UVA always has been a great job, but no doubt Bennett has done an amazing piece of work there as did Ryan at Wisky.

So I am not sure what you are trying to say...yes it happens that under that radar coaches develop good programs. When Tubby got the axe they went down the list and got turned down by everyone and then decided to take a shot at Pitino (about 10 deep on the depth chart) as a very young future star coach with a minimal track record. I think that the point of others here is that this job doesn't attract sure thing coaches because it has been a coach killer in the past for so many good coaches. Since Clem left under a cloud we have had two top 4 finishes in nearly 20 years, none by the Hall of Fame coach, one by Monson and one by Pitino. You are saying we should be a regular top 4 finisher. OK- we all want that, but based on what history do you say that and hold this particular coach to that expectation?

Alabama?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

How can you miss out on a seat when we haven't signed anyone yet?

Easy. If one guy verbals today, there are a few other guys at that position who probably will no longer be offered a seat. The exceptions are Garcia and Suggs.

Yes, wanting to come to Mpls St Paul. To a Big 10 School. To an urban campus.

Your position implies coaches need to always be approached when there is a vacancy. You and I both know that is simply not the case.

You want it both ways and you cant have it both ways.

List em built.

Yes, wanting to come to Mpls St Paul. To a Big 10 School. To an urban campus.

Your position implies coaches need to always be approached when there is a vacancy. You and I both know that is simply not the case.

You want it both ways and you cant have it both ways.

List em built.

Implied nothing but the sort. Contrary, great AD's are constantly talking to those that know such things way before a vacancy. They study every move, how someone handles themselves, where they won, how they did it. They are universally praised. Teague had poor motives, poor tactics, poor connections and poor knowledge. I listed schools that went about it with a time proven method, there are another dozen that succeeded in a big way. What is both ways mean ? Wanted a great coach who wins championships.

Top Bottom