Gopher Basketball Recruits May Miss Out on Finding a Chair at the Table!

Why? Because he's a white center? Eliason was ranked 279 and Crowl is ranked 144 and has offers from Iowa and Wisconsin.

Of course. Have you watched him play? He’s definitely not Oturu.

Guys like Crowl will continue to position us nicely for 10th place finishes in the B1G. I thought we were setting our sights higher this class?

Getting back to the OP, I’m not sure I understand the optimism for the 2020 class. We haven’t landed anyone yet, and the one guy that we appear closest to getting, Steven Crowl, appears to be the next Elliot Eliason.

Have you ever seen him play? He is nothing like Eliason, not similar at all.

Guys like Crowl will continue to position us nicely for 10th place finishes in the B1G. I thought we were setting our sights higher this class?

Really? That's why Wisconsin and others have offered him now? No, he's not a similar player to Oturo. He's more skilled offensively than Oturo. He's a good player, and not every player has to be a 4 or 5 star.

Took a break from blowing Fleck with that ice cold take

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Lol, so if he’s not Oturu, that means he’s Eliason. Got it.

I did. The way I see it, a guy who declares for the draft is not coming back to school unless he changes his mind. Everything else is just noise.

Well, congrats, you've explained perfectly why Pitino had to hold a scholarship for him. There was a chance he would change his mind.

Last edited:

Lol, so if he’s not Oturu, that means he’s Eliason. Got it.
No kidding plus EE wasn't a bad player, he had a stretch his red shirt Junior year before Mo emerged where he was dominant. He was great in the Ohio State win and the year before I think he scored ten straight over number one Indiana. Back to Crowl completely different skill sets. Crowl can stretch the floor giving a different look compared to Oturu and Freeman. I would be curious to see who this staff would take between Crowl and Murrell, that kid can play too and I think both will get pretty good ratings the next time they come out

The Pitino apologists never stop.

Dainja couldn’t get into the U.
Suggs was never realistic.
Carlson was always set on Stanford or Wisconsin.
Garcia blew up and the blue bloods started offering.

We now have to convince ourselves that Crowl would be a really good recruit because he has Iowa and Wisconsin offers. Wisconsin’s recruiting has been subpar under Gard, and Iowa is stuck in the same purgatory we are. When can we expect more?

No kidding plus EE wasn't a bad player, he had a stretch his red shirt Junior year before Mo emerged where he was dominant. He was great in the Ohio State win and the year before I think he scored ten straight over number one Indiana. Back to Crowl completely different skill sets. Crowl can stretch the floor giving a different look compared to Oturu and Freeman. I would be curious to see who this staff would take between Crowl and Murrell, that kid can play too and I think both will get pretty good ratings the next time they come out

Eliason averaged about 3 points per game in his career. He was a bad player and had no business being in the B1G.

If anyone thinks otherwise, I can see why they would be happy with Pitino, how the team is performing and the state of recruiting.

We now have to convince ourselves that Crowl would be a really good recruit because he has Iowa and Wisconsin offers. Wisconsin’s recruiting has been subpar under Gard, and Iowa is stuck in the same purgatory we are. When can we expect more?

I must have missed the part where Garcia and Madsen committed elsewhere. It isn’t even close to the point where anyone should be judging our 2020 class. I’m sure you were one of the people prematurely declaring our 2019 class a disaster too.

It's not about being a Pitino apologist. You've never seen Crowl obviously with your comparisons, but not one analyst has said it was a reach to recruit him or even offer him.
Dainja- couldn't get into CDH, there may be some issues with his transcripts. He did obviously eliminate the U or they eliminated him with how they stopped recruiting him. That's ok and it happens.
Suggs recruitment is over. We just went to Greece to watch him.
Garcia- has been a top priority for our staff for 2 years and his recruitment isn't over either.
Carlson- Just complicated the U on how they've rebuilt their relationship and doing well.

The point is it's still early in the 2020 recruiting season. Also the idea that Walton, Madsen, Crowl, and Mashburn would be bad recruits is crazy. All are highly thought of and will most likely be competent and good 4 year basketball players. Just not time to panic or rip Crowl yet.

What would it take to bring you over from the dark side? Pitino is our first coach to make the dance 2 out of 3 years. If we dance this season as well would your view of Pitino change?

What would it take to bring you over from the dark side? Pitino is our first coach to make the dance 2 out of 3 years. If we dance this season as well would your view of Pitino change?

To be fair, Tubby made the tournament back to back in 2009 and 2010. But I agree with the idea that it’s very early to be declaring the 2020 class as a failure, especially considering the freakouts we just had over the 2019 class which ended up being pretty solid.

Eliason averaged about 3 points per game in his career. He was a bad player and had no business being in the B1G.

If anyone thinks otherwise, I can see why they would be happy with Pitino, how the team is performing and the state of recruiting.
And the takes get even more retarded.

To be fair, Tubby made the tournament back to back in 2009 and 2010. But I agree with the idea that it’s very early to be declaring the 2020 class as a failure, especially considering the freakouts we just had over the 2019 class which ended up being pretty solid.

Clem also took the Gophers to consecutive Sweet Sixteens. Where he pulled that fake stat from, I have no idea.

Your stat is wrong, but I’ll answer the question. I’ll be an enthusiastic Pitino supporter if they manage to make the Tournament this year.

From a recruiting standpoint, it will be a success if they land Suggs or Garcia. And two out of Carlson, Madsen, Walton or Mashburn. Or someone else can that’s an equivalent talent.

Cmon. No one is apologizing for Pitino, or very few. He had a good class this past year, we will see what happens now. And, while it would be great to get Garcia and/or Madsen, if he gets a class like this pst year with other kids not from MN that’s great as well.

Thank goodness his classes are rated so much higher than your beloved Fleck’s or your head would explode with disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cmon. No one is apologizing for Pitino, or very few. He had a good class this past year, we will see what happens now. And, while it would be great to get Garcia and/or Madsen, if he gets a class like this pst year with other kids not from MN that’s great as well.

Thank goodness his classes are rated so much higher than your beloved Fleck’s or your head would explode with disappointment.

You’re a moron. You proclaim to no longer be a football fan because of Fleck, yet the expectations for this year’s team are among the highest they’ve ever been. Pitino has the worst record in the history of Gopher basketball after 6 years and you defend him to end.

I must have missed the part where Garcia and Madsen committed elsewhere. It isn’t even close to the point where anyone should be judging our 2020 class. I’m sure you were one of the people prematurely declaring our 2019 class a disaster too.

Another good stab into the troll’s heart!

You’re a moron. You proclaim to no longer be a football fan because of Fleck, yet the expectations for this year’s team are among the highest they’ve ever been. Pitino has the worst record in the history of Gopher basketball after 6 years and you defend him to end.

:)

I guess it takes one to know one, because your comments are ridiculous!

The Gopher FB expectation are higher next year, but they are very far from “highest they’ve ever been”. I would hope that our expectations eventually get higher than possibly winning 8 games and having a chance competing for the west title! Pitino also has one of the best records in school history and very few Gopher coaches have gotten the Gophers to more NCAA tournaments. So, don’t be so blindly selective when you try to support your arguments with “facts”. You just lose all credibility and make yourself look stupid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your stat is wrong, but I’ll answer the question. I’ll be an enthusiastic Pitino supporter if they manage to make the Tournament this year.

From a recruiting standpoint, it will be a success if they land Suggs or Garcia. And two out of Carlson, Madsen, Walton or Mashburn. Or someone else can that’s an equivalent talent.

Fair enough. No doubt it is year to year with Pitino at this point, dont think anyone would deny that. Personally, I think I give him additional slack due to his demeanor/personality. If the coach to our immediate south or east coached us and had Pitino's resume, I might be more demanding. I also think that I am not as confident as some about the ease to hire an improvement.
It is difficult for some of us not to see Pitino being piled upon. A bad game during the season and Pitino got hammered on the game thread, along with much thought about the need for a new coach. The season then ended very well. Similarly, maybe best to wait to hammer Pitino about recruiting until the recruiting season is over. Everybody certainly has the right to their opinion, but seems like the negative is often the default. Pitino has shown he has the coaching chops when he has the horses, jury is still somewhat out regarding his ability to adequately fill the stable. We'll see. Also, yeah, bad stat.

I guess it takes one to know one, because your comments are ridiculous!

The Gopher FB expectation are higher next year, but they are very far from “highest they’ve ever been”. I would hope that our expectations eventually get higher than possibly winning 8 games and having a chance competing for the west title! Pitino also has one of the best records in school history and very few Gopher coaches have gotten the Gophers to more NCAA tournaments. So, don’t be so blindly selective when you try to support your arguments with “facts”. You just lose all credibility and make yourself look stupid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pitino has one of the best records in school history? Wow, who knew...

Fair enough. No doubt it is year to year with Pitino at this point, dont think anyone would deny that. Personally, I think I give him additional slack due to his demeanor/personality. If the coach to our immediate south or east coached us and had Pitino's resume, I might be more demanding. I also think that I am not as confident as some about the ease to hire an improvement.
It is difficult for some of us not to see Pitino being piled upon. A bad game during the season and Pitino got hammered on the game thread, along with much thought about the need for a new coach. The season then ended very well. Similarly, maybe best to wait to hammer Pitino about recruiting until the recruiting season is over. Everybody certainly has the right to their opinion, but seems like the negative is often the default. Pitino has shown he has the coaching chops when he has the horses, jury is still somewhat out regarding his ability to adequately fill the stable. We'll see. Also, yeah, bad stat.

Good post. Thanks for the respectful discussion despite some disagreements.

He meant for an individual season, not for his career.

Well that is being pretty damn selective. What about the record versus ranked teams, Conference record . It is a bottom line business. The goal is not too do better than Minnesota has done because that is a very mediocre history. The goal is to win Big 10 titles, make final 4's, do something really special. On the other hand it is way t early to judge the 2020 class and overall i like most of what he has brought in, minus the bad characters. The talent is there but we a far away from seeing him build a great team. Win the conference and i will think he is pretty good. Not even sniffing the top of the conference even once in 6 years spells nothing close to impressive.

Well that is being pretty damn selective. What about the record versus ranked teams, Conference record . It is a bottom line business. The goal is not too do better than Minnesota has done because that is a very mediocre history. The goal is to win Big 10 titles, make final 4's, do something really special. On the other hand it is way t early to judge the 2020 class and overall i like most of what he has brought in, minus the bad characters. The talent is there but we a far away from seeing him build a great team. Win the conference and i will think he is pretty good. Not even sniffing the top of the conference even once in 6 years spells nothing close to impressive.

Do you type all of that from scratch each time? You could save a lot of time if you just copy and paste.

So you incessantly talk about how you want to see Top 4 finishes, yet despite the bolded quote above, we finished in the Top 4 in 2017. But you also say we've never "sniffed the top of the conference"? I guess you're just being pretty damn selective?

Top Bottom