Gopher Basketball Recruits May Miss Out on Finding a Chair at the Table!

Big Ten Championship

Reaction score
It is rare to have so much Basketball talent in the same class. So much Pitino is going into 2019 season with an open scholarship just to be able to keep three roster spots for the 2020 class. With the recent tournament success, the Gopher program is headed in the right direction. There is tremendous excitement toward the Men's basketball program and even National Recruits like Mashburn Jr. are in the mix.

I expect once the first scholarship is taken the other two will be filled within a week.

It is likely that one or two of the kids from Mn does have their heart set on playing in front of their home town Gopher fans. The current supply and demand is not in the players favor. I expect the domino's to fall soon and fast!

It is rare to have so much Basketball talent in the same class. So much Pitino is going into 2019 season with an open scholarship just to be able to keep three roster spots for the 2020 class. With the recent tournament success, the Gopher program is headed in the right direction. There is tremendous excitement toward the Men's basketball program and even National Recruits like Mashburn Jr. are in the mix.

I expect once the first scholarship is taken the other two will be filled within a week.

It is likely that one or two of the kids from Mn does have their heart set on playing in front of their home town Gopher fans. The current supply and demand is not in the players favor. I expect the domino's to fall soon and fast!

I like the way you are thinking!!

Like I have been saying, the train is leaving the station with or without the Minnesota HS players. Playing for the U is a real big deal, they better start committing earlier or the spots will be filled. The Gophers will be national ranked early into next season.

No chance Gophs nationally ranked early next season...Do your homework before posting....pitino did not fill his scholarships this year even after a relatively good post season... Excellent chance at least one additional scholarship will open up with a player leaving the program prior to eligibility being used up

In built land Mn will never be good enough to be ranked

How so ? We have been ranked in my now 50 plus years of going to Williams. Many times we have been ranked. Still waiting for sustained success . Just not the kind of fan who puts on the provincial lens and sees a tremendous amount of success. I have made a history of studying programs and coaches by looking at records and accomplishments. This roster has plenty of talent to be a really good team.By my standards that is something like top 4 conference and 27 wins. Will they do it ? We get to find out. I just never celebrate 9-11 type records.

Sure. Asked where they would be ranked.

I for one think it will take quite a while for this team to get ranked- if they do get ranked. The non-conference schedule is likely to be a little rocky (3-4 losses) with this new of a team. However, I think they may have the potential to get better and better as the year passes and make the NCAAs. I think this team is a year away from being a highly ranked team. If we could add Garcia, Madsen and one more high level recruit to go with the guys we have - we could be ready to go on a roll. I like where they are now taking the roster. I see signs of growth in the coach and perhaps he has a better staff. I think it was a good to great spring in terms of being creative in finding players that will fit. What do you think?

No chance Gophs nationally ranked early next season...Do your homework before posting....pitino did not fill his scholarships this year even after a relatively good post season... Excellent chance at least one additional scholarship will open up with a player leaving the program prior to eligibility being used up
They won't be ranked early the year, but pot me kettle on the homework part. Gophs brought in four guys this spring. Wish Coffey had announced his intention right away, maybe he really did take it to the last minute, but it put us in a bad spot. Had he gone all in right away we could've gotten another decent wing IMO

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

What do you think they will be ranked ?

I think they will crack the top 20 early into the B1G season or just before it. They haven’t earned “the reputation to be ranked” yet. But if the talent steps up and buys into the team concepts they will be in and out of the top twenty all season. Of course, I am Mr. Optimism....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They won't be ranked early the year, but pot me kettle on the homework part. Gophs brought in four guys this spring. Wish Coffey had announced his intention right away, maybe he really did take it to the last minute, but it put us in a bad spot. Had he gone all in right away we could've gotten another decent wing IMO

Remember that we are also bringing in two “new” players that have college BB experience and a year on the team, via the Pitino red shirt (sit out transfers).

I don’t fault Coffey too much, because he was just stepping up to his potential this year and seems to have really grown even more as his performance on the Clippers indicates. He would have been a monster this next year with the Gophers and I think a first round NBA draft pick. He put that summer league team on his back last night and lead them to a win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have no doubt the local media will put a negative spin on the gophers missing out on local recruits even if they fill all three with local players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like I have been saying, the train is leaving the station with or without the Minnesota HS players. Playing for the U is a real big deal, they better start committing earlier or the spots will be filled. The Gophers will be national ranked early into next season.

What? No chance of that.

I for one think it will take quite a while for this team to get ranked- if they do get ranked. The non-conference schedule is likely to be a little rocky (3-4 losses) with this new of a team. However, I think they may have the potential to get better and better as the year passes and make the NCAAs. I think this team is a year away from being a highly ranked team. If we could add Garcia, Madsen and one more high level recruit to go with the guys we have - we could be ready to go on a roll. I like where they are now taking the roster. I see signs of growth in the coach and perhaps he has a better staff. I think it was a good to great spring in terms of being creative in finding players that will fit. What do you think?

You think non-conference will be rocky? Assuming we fill in what we know now with the usual low-major opponents there is nothing particularly difficult about it. Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Utah, Clemson, and Butler are the meat of the non-conference schedule. None of them are world-beaters, or even top 25 teams, and I'd be surprised if more than 2 ended up as NCAA tournament teams.

Not disagreeing with the idea that the team can improve as the season goes along, especially with so many new faces. Losing more than 2 non-conference games against our slate means we would need to pull off some big wins in conference play (ie a couple wins against Mich St/Ohio St/Maryland), and also avoid bad losses in order to be a NCAA tournament team.

Depends what you mean by "early", but I'm not even sure this is possible based on our schedule. Early in the season you usually have to beat a ranked team in order to get ranked, and none of the teams that we know are on our non-conference schedule will be ranked when we play them. Unless we get a win against a ranked B1G team in those December B1G games I'm not sure it would even be possible to be ranked before January unless we are undefeated at that point.

I agree regarding Coffey. It was an easy decision so why wait?

I don't really understand this narrative some seem to be trying to create that he waited.

How so?

He declared for the draft well before the deadline. He stayed in the draft. Anything about him changing his mind is manufactured. He never gave any indication he was thinking about coming back after declaring.

How so ? We have been ranked in my now 50 plus years of going to Williams. Many times we have been ranked. Still waiting for sustained success . Just not the kind of fan who puts on the provincial lens and sees a tremendous amount of success. I have made a history of studying programs and coaches by looking at records and accomplishments. This roster has plenty of talent to be a really good team.By my standards that is something like top 4 conference and 27 wins. Will they do it ? We get to find out. I just never celebrate 9-11 type records.

All Mn fans want sustained success. All. You, sir, are not as special as you appear to need to be. I am approaching 4 decades of supporting Mn bb. Again, you are not alone.

Pitino has been given the job - opportunity- to build Mn. His performance has benn mediocre at best. Thus far.

You seem to forget that hiring a bb coach at Mn has been especially difficult. That is just simple fact.

But please continue with you standards.

You say this type of thing every other post, yet there are literally 0 fans who see a "tremendous amount of success". It's very confusing. What do you get out of pretending fans feel that way?

You say this type of thing every other post, yet there are literally 0 fans who see a "tremendous amount of success". It's very confusing. What do you get out of pretending fans feel that way?

It's easy to win a debate with a straw man.

:clap:

I don't really understand this narrative some seem to be trying to create that he waited.

How so?

He declared for the draft well before the deadline. He stayed in the draft. Anything about him changing his mind is manufactured. He never gave any indication he was thinking about coming back after declaring.

Did you watch/listen to the extensive interview Gopherlady had with Amir after he initially declared? It was a great interview. He left the door wide open for returning if he got the sense that he would not be drafted. Based on those words directly from his mouth (and not some blow-hards speculating on this site), there was a second and final decision he had not yet made. He either was lying during that interview, or he honestly didn’t know yet and made that decision later. That’s all fine, but I think that’s what the poster may have been referring to.

Did you watch/listen to the extensive interview Gopherlady had with Amir after he initially declared? It was a great interview. He left the door wide open for returning if he got the sense that he would not be drafted. Based on those words directly from his mouth (and not some blow-hards speculating on this site), there was a second and final decision he had not yet made. He either was lying during that interview, or he honestly didn’t know yet and made that decision later. That’s all fine, but I think that’s what the poster may have been referring to.

I did. The way I see it, a guy who declares for the draft is not coming back to school unless he changes his mind. Everything else is just noise.

I did. The way I see it, a guy who declares for the draft is not coming back to school unless he changes his mind. Everything else is just noise.

Well, you are obviously not aware of how it can be used to test the waters. As long a Coffey gave a hint of coming back, Pitino had to hold a spot. You may not like it, but the student has the leverage in these situations, which how it should be.

Getting back to the OP, I’m not sure I understand the optimism for the 2020 class. We haven’t landed anyone yet, and the one guy that we appear closest to getting, Steven Crowl, appears to be the next Elliot Eliason.

Getting back to the OP, I’m not sure I understand the optimism for the 2020 class. We haven’t landed anyone yet, and the one guy that we appear closest to getting, Steven Crowl, appears to be the next Elliot Eliason.

Most programs don't have a commitment yet. Most commits come after the AAU season and before the HS season. The comparison to Eliason also makes no sense.

Why? Because he's a white center? Eliason was ranked 279 and Crowl is ranked 144 and has offers from Iowa and Wisconsin.

Top Bottom