Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Media Prediction Thread: Minnesota at Fresno State

Mountain West Wire is the first out of the gate:

Early Prediction

Frankly, Minnesota was fortunate to steal the win from Fresno State last season. Even though both sides will miss a few stars in the rematch, it should be just as much of a back-and-forth endeavor as the original and, all things being equal, perhaps the home-field advantage will be what it takes to swing last year’s result. It may not be flashy, but it should be good enough. Fresno State 24, Minnesota 23

https://mwwire.com/2019/07/11/fresno...olden-gophers/

Go Gophers!!

Mwwire.com is home to many known haters of the Constitution, freedom, and generally rude people.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post

Early Prediction

Frankly, Minnesota was fortunate to steal the win from Fresno State last season. Even though both sides will miss a few stars in the rematch, it should be just as much of a back-and-forth endeavor as the original and, all things being equal, perhaps the home-field advantage will be what it takes to swing last year’s result. It may not be flashy, but it should be good enough. Fresno State 24, Minnesota 23

Go Gophers!!
    MN returns basically their whole team. Fresno has to replace basically their whole team.

This analysis is lacking

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Mwwire.com is home to many known haters of the Constitution, freedom, and generally rude people.
    bunch of hack writers with no foot in reality. I think this is where star tribune writers go to retire.
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala

Minnesota wins going away. FSU fans start leaving in the middle of the 3rd quarter.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    Minnesota wins going away. FSU fans start leaving in the middle of the 3rd quarter to get more neck tattoos.
    fixed it for you.

several key things that FSU and the MW's writers forget
    1) Rodney went down early in that game had he stayed healthy not even a close game
    2) defensively we had a coaching change that from what was shown on the field will be a level better than what they expect
    3) OL/DL will look a lot bigger and meaner than a year ago
    4) replacing the few players form our team will be a lot easier than FSU "reloading" after their departures (what do they think they are the OSU of the WEst?)

Dinks!
    Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

I think that the FSU and Purdue games are early KEY games for the Gophers. I don't care how many starters FSU or PU has to replace, they are both well-coached teams, we play them both on the road, and they will be tough. If we should win both of these games, the table will be set for a nice run in the BIG10 West Division with home games vs. Illinois and Nebraska to follow. I'd LOVE us to be 5 and 0 when Big Red comes to town...THAT would be exciting. Being undefeated with Penn State in town on 11/9 would be over the top. Every year when I set up these scenarios in my mind, I end up being disappointed when we stub our toes during the season. Hopefully, this year will be different. It's our turn to catch lightening in a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post

Early Prediction

Go Gophers!!
    It wasn't a bad article until that conclusion -- the one about both sides missing about an equal amount of "stars" from last year. "All things" are not equal in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasthetank View Post
    MN returns basically their whole team. Fresno has to replace basically their whole team.

This analysis is lacking

That was my thought

Even though both sides will miss a few stars in the rematch

This statement is just plain wrong

Quote Originally Posted by fmlizard View Post
    It wasn't a bad article until that conclusion -- the one about both sides missing about an equal amount of "stars" from last year. "All things" are not equal in that regard.
    You're right.

This has been posted before, but it's worth seeing again:

Minnesota 10th in the country (and first in the B1G) in Returning Production. Fresno State is 127th, and second to last in the country.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ers-experience
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

I'm sure Fresno fans are pretty confident about the game despite the turnover

Quote Originally Posted by salzie View Post
    I'm sure Fresno fans are pretty confident about the game despite the turnover
    What I've learned from reading this thread:

People who have neck tattoos are far more confident than people who snow-blow their driveways in snorkel parkas.
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

Quote Originally Posted by fmlizard View Post
    Yeah, the overall writeup about us isn't all that far off. Basically the only knock on our offense he had was the QB situation but also fails to mention that both guys were freshmen last year so it is pretty reasonable to think they will be better in year 2.

The conclusion was stupid though. Clearly he has a lot of faith in the new faces for Fresno since they lost a ton of players off of last year's team while we come back about as fully intact as you can be in college football.

No idea how the game is going to play out but even being on the road I don't really see how we don't have a pretty significant edge heading into this one given what they have to replace. According to the other article that was linked most teams with the level of turnover that Fresno had really struggle the next year so they would need to be the exception in order to not take a big step back this season.