Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

"Defense
    Depending on how you examine things, the fact Minnesota finished 39th in Defensive S&P+ might seem right on the money or it might look a little wonky. On the one hand, they did hold six opponents to 15 points or fewer; on the other, they also coughed up more than 30 points in six games. They were 11th in Stuff Rate and 23rd in Defensive Opportunity Rate, but they were also 68th in Defensive Success Rate, 101st in IsoPPP (which measures explosive plays) and 105th in Sack Rate. What gives?"

Really?..."What gives"? Someone needs to do their research.

"The secondary might also feature three sophomores in Smith, Antoine Winfield Jr. (who only played in four games last fall due to injury), and Jordan Howden…

Ya, I think the guy whose spectacular play ended the game last year will be featured.

Quote Originally Posted by FredCoxRocks View Post
    "Defense
    Depending on how you examine things, the fact Minnesota finished 39th in Defensive S&P+ might seem right on the money or it might look a little wonky. On the one hand, they did hold six opponents to 15 points or fewer; on the other, they also coughed up more than 30 points in six games. They were 11th in Stuff Rate and 23rd in Defensive Opportunity Rate, but they were also 68th in Defensive Success Rate, 101st in IsoPPP (which measures explosive plays) and 105th in Sack Rate. What gives?"

Really?..."What gives"? Someone needs to do their research.

"The secondary might also feature three sophomores in Smith, Antoine Winfield Jr. (who only played in four games last fall due to injury), and Jordan Howden…

Ya, I think the guy whose spectacular play ended the game last year will be featured.
    Probably not featured on the JumboTron at Fresno though...

Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    You're right.

This has been posted before, but it's worth seeing again:

Minnesota 10th in the country (and first in the B1G) in Returning Production. Fresno State is 127th, and second to last in the country.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ers-experience
    Nebraska is 93rd and Purdue is 103rd too. I think the love-fest for both of them might be a little premature also.

Quote Originally Posted by GophersInIowa View Post
    Nebraska is 93rd and Purdue is 103rd too. I think the love-fest for both of them might be a little premature also.
    Purdue I agree.

The Neb love is a bit over the top but they SHOULD be (talent wise) better .... but who knows after last year.

Second youngest team in America.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Purdue I agree.

The Neb love is a bit over the top but they SHOULD be (talent wise) better .... but who knows after last year.
    They should be better but there are people saying they are a Top 10 teams already. I don't see them making that big of a jump.

I get the idea that the fans have optimism for the upcoming season. Everyone is 0-0 and typically speaking interest is good before the season starts. However sportswriters need to do more homework before going to press. They don't seem to mind the back lash however with their poor journalism as evident by Pat Reusse with his shoddy work. They think it is creating more interest and enjoy getting people upset with their false narratives. I've given up reading his articles long ago. Once an alcoholic always a alcoholic, once a poor journalist, always a poor journalist.

Quote Originally Posted by GophersInIowa View Post
    They should be better but there are people saying they are a Top 10 teams already. I don't see them making that big of a jump.
    Yeah I suspect that is just large fanbase clickbait ... like the "Is Harbaugh on the hot seat!?!?" stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleB View Post
    several key things that FSU and the MW's writers forget
    1) Rodney went down early in that game had he stayed healthy not even a close game
    2) defensively we had a coaching change that from what was shown on the field will be a level better than what they expect
    3) OL/DL will look a lot bigger and meaner than a year ago
    4) replacing the few players form our team will be a lot easier than FSU "reloading" after their departures (what do they think they are the OSU of the WEst?)
    Point 2 doesn’t really apply to the Fresno game as the defense played great against Fresno last year

This game could be tough for the simple reason it's out west, probably going to be hotter than hades, and the time zone change.

Many big 10 teams have made a trip like this out west and gotten beat. The Big 10 team was the better team, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldteam View Post
    This game could be tough for the simple reason it's out west, probably going to be hotter than hades, and the time zone change.

Many big 10 teams have made a trip like this out west and gotten beat. The Big 10 team was the better team, too.
    Good thing the gophers are experienced from playing in New Mexico a few years back

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    Point 2 doesn’t really apply to the Fresno game as the defense played great against Fresno last year

Some of that was on Fresno playing calling.

Quote Originally Posted by salzie View Post
    Some of that was on Fresno playing calling.
    Yeah Fresno played themselves in that game a bit, they had some plays that were working ... they just stopped calling them.

They took it out on the next team after they got their head back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    that is my point

it will be even better this year. But given that we did play OK defense(remember it took a great play at the end of the game to save it) and the defense played a whole lot better later in the year, is why I think this is an important aspect to think about this season.

We beat Fresno with the absence of a competent defensive coordinator.
    That was quite an accomplishment.