How high of a ceiling does Daniel Faalele have?

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Don't think it'd be a stretch to say he's on track to be a top 5 overall pick in 2021 or 2022 draft

Don't think it'd be a stretch to say he's on track to be a top 5 overall pick in 2021 or 2022 draft

If he has quick enough feet to move to the left side and be successful, I think he definitely could be a top 5 pick in a couple years. If he has to stay on the right side, I think his ceiling is the second half of the first round.

https://theathletic.com/1065937/201...tball-top-athletic-performances/?redirected=1

11. Daniel Faalele, Minnesota, offensive tackle
The humongous junior from Australia comes it at 6-9, 400 pounds. He has 275 pounds of lean mass, which is more lean mass than most football players weigh — including most of the guys he’s tasked with blocking. Faalele bench pressed 391 pounds this offseason. He hang cleans 375 and squats 570, but it’s his movement at that size that is eye-opening stuff. He vertical jumps 29 inches, who for someone 300 pounds would be really good. For someone 400 pounds … well, we’ll get to that in a minute. He broad jumped 8-7. Same deal as it relates to what an athletic 300-pound NFL prospect would do.

For more context, consider this: Faalale’s vertical jump would have tied for 14th best among the 57 offensive linemen at the 2019 NFL Scouting Combine.

Now consider this: Dontari Poe was one of the all-time Combine freaks after he ran a 4.98 40 while weighing in at 346 pounds. He vertical jumped 29.5 inches and broad jumped 8-9. Faalele is more than 50 pounds heavier, and his vertical is just a half-inch less and he’s two inches behind on the broad jump. Trent Brown, who just signed a $66 million contract with the Raiders after starting at left tackle for the Super Bowl-winning Patriots, trimmed down to 355 on his 6-8 1/2 frame for the Combine had a 28-inch vertical and did 8-10 in the broad.

He needs a ceiling of at least 6'10" to fit comfortably.

Never been to his house, but I imagine an 8' ceiling feels a bit cramped for him...

I see I got beat to it too, but that still didn't stop me from posting my lame humor. Oh well, first post, always room for improvement. Go Gophs!

He needs a ceiling of at least 6'10" to fit comfortably.

jKQeXPS.gif

The dad jokes are streaming in:clap:

Gotta love Dad jokes.

To the OP's question though, first round NFL draft pick feels like a lock if he continues on the same trajectory and stays healthy. Top 10 is certainly within the realm of possibility as well. Kid is a freak of nature athlete and will be awesome to watch how he develops over the next few years.

And let's not forget that Dunlap was rated even higher then Faalele coming out of high school so if he lives up to the hype we could have 2 offensive lineman drafted highly in a few years. Would be awesome for the program if it plays out that way even though it will suck if either of them ends up leaving early.

If he has quick enough feet to move to the left side and be successful, I think he definitely could be a top 5 pick in a couple years. If he has to stay on the right side, I think his ceiling is the second half of the first round.

When was the last time a guy who was strictly an RT went top 5 overall? He'd have to demonstrate he can play LT at the next level and to do that, he'd probably have to loose 80 pounds to be a top 5 pick at LT which I doubt happens.

His absolute ceiling would probably be middle of the first but that is probably a bit of an optimistic projection as of now.

https://theathletic.com/1065937/201...tball-top-athletic-performances/?redirected=1

11. Daniel Faalele, Minnesota, offensive tackle
The humongous junior from Australia comes it at 6-9, 400 pounds. He has 275 pounds of lean mass, which is more lean mass than most football players weigh — including most of the guys he’s tasked with blocking. Faalele bench pressed 391 pounds this offseason. He hang cleans 375 and squats 570, but it’s his movement at that size that is eye-opening stuff. He vertical jumps 29 inches, who for someone 300 pounds would be really good. For someone 400 pounds … well, we’ll get to that in a minute. He broad jumped 8-7. Same deal as it relates to what an athletic 300-pound NFL prospect would do.

For more context, consider this: Faalale’s vertical jump would have tied for 14th best among the 57 offensive linemen at the 2019 NFL Scouting Combine.

Now consider this: Dontari Poe was one of the all-time Combine freaks after he ran a 4.98 40 while weighing in at 346 pounds. He vertical jumped 29.5 inches and broad jumped 8-9. Faalele is more than 50 pounds heavier, and his vertical is just a half-inch less and he’s two inches behind on the broad jump. Trent Brown, who just signed a $66 million contract with the Raiders after starting at left tackle for the Super Bowl-winning Patriots, trimmed down to 355 on his 6-8 1/2 frame for the Combine had a 28-inch vertical and did 8-10 in the broad.

wait what?

When was the last time a guy who was strictly an RT went top 5 overall? He'd have to demonstrate he can play LT at the next level and to do that, he'd probably have to loose 80 pounds to be a top 5 pick at LT which I doubt happens.

His absolute ceiling would probably be middle of the first but that is probably a bit of an optimistic projection as of now.

I believe Lane Johnson RT out of Oklahoma went #4 overall maybe 8-10 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I agree with you about the RT thing, Faalele would be canceling out his uniqueness by dropping 80 lbs to move left. If it’s a choice between a monster, game changing RT and a run-of-the-mill LT, you obviously choose the game changer.

One thing that would impact his value if he stayed on the right side is his upside as a run blocker. 400 lbs getting to the second level is impossible to defend and might get him drafted higher the traditional RT ceiling.

I believe Lane Johnson RT out of Oklahoma went #4 overall maybe 8-10 years ago

Lane Johnson played LT his senior year at OU and was projected as an LT when he was drafted.

I'm talking about someone who is strictly a right tackle. A 6-7+, 330+ pound guy. I don't remember anyone like that going top 5, at least not recently.

DJ Fluker from Alabama is the highest I remember a massive OT getting drafted and he went 11. Orlando Brown from OU was a projected mid-late first rounder at RT two years ago before his weak combine performance. Other than those two can't really think of any massive first round OT's.

Last edited:

While I agree with you about the RT thing, Faalele would be canceling out his uniqueness by dropping 80 lbs to move left. If it’s a choice between a monster, game changing RT and a run-of-the-mill LT, you obviously choose the game changer.

One thing that would impact his value if he stayed on the right side is his upside as a run blocker. 400 lbs getting to the second level is impossible to defend and might get him drafted higher the traditional RT ceiling.

Yeah, I'm not saying he should or would try to lose 80 pounds, just that it would be the only way I can see him being a top 5 pick as an LT.

He potentially could be the best to ever play his position.
Ceiling is GOAT...

Rivals analyst Josh Helmholdt during the week of the Under Armor game two years ago, did say that he thinks Faalele might have the highest ceiling out of anybody in the entire 2018 recruiting class including Trevor Lawrence so there's that.

He can be a top 5 pick.
Curious if at the NFL level if his footwork is agile enough. He can simply overpower anyone who faces right now. That won't be true at the NFL level. (or maybe it will be).

Faalele was a raw talent last year. He got by on sheer physical dominance. Will be interesting to see how we looks with a year under his belt.

JTG

If he plays “nasty” he can be.

I am forgetting he is a pretty young kid who happens to be huge. You can't teach 6'9".

Minnesota is a good fit for him, and I am happy that Zach Annexstad made it Dunlop and Faalele Gophers. This is a program changer.

Didn't his family move here this year to be close to him?

I am happy that Zach Annexstad made it Dunlop and Faalele Gophers. This is a program changer.

Agreed, Similar to the recruiting Carter Coughlin did in his class, sometimes the right recruit is your best recruiter.

Faalele was a raw talent last year. He got by on sheer physical dominance. Will be interesting to see how we looks with a year under his belt.

JTG

This is the key to me, he has only played football for a few years and is still learning technique. If he can master the techniques he is being taught the sky is truly the limit for him based on his size and athleticism at that size.

Not sure of a ceiling, but I do know I’m going to enjoy watching us run wild on Wisconsin and Iowa as Dan collapses his side.

Top Bottom