2019 Roster Updated

CurveballJesus

Reaction score
https://gophersports.com/roster.aspx?roster=528&path=football

Now updated with summer enrollees on Campus. Thoughts:

Anders Gelecinskyj came to party.

Guedet got huge fast.

Curtis Dunlop is listed at the same weight as last year, but looks thinner in the face to me.

Umlor moved to Oline (maybe I missed that earlier)

Logan Richter is massive.

and finally...

General Manager Gerrit Chernoff already has the name, title and look of a really solid heel stable manager in the WWE.

Apologies if this has already been posted

Umlor was moved to TE before spring, must have bulked up more and moved him again.

Word on Benjamin St-Juste? I thought he was eligible immediately, but he's not on the roster? Is he not enrolling for the fall (forgive me if this was answered somewhere else)

Annexstad's photo makes him look like that obnoxious mean kid from the Harry Potter movies - Malfoy or something like that.

Word on Benjamin St-Juste? I thought he was eligible immediately, but he's not on the roster? Is he not enrolling for the fall (forgive me if this was answered somewhere else)

He is one name yet to appear. Could be a different transfer status and they can't list him until first week of fall workouts.

By my count, he would be scholarship 85. (Edmonds and Reigelsperger leaving got us down to 84, along with no Grimes, Clemmons or Owens, I think.)

4 QBs Morgan, Annexstad, Kramer, Clark
7 RBs Smith, Brooks, Williams, Potts, Ibrahim, Wiley, Williamson (formerly listed as athlete, (FemiCole, London, Edmonds gone)
4 TEs Kieft, Paulson, Witham, SpannFord (Bursch, Beebe, gone)
11 WRs Tyler, CAB, Jornell, Gibson, Bateman, Seth, MBS, Annexstad, Douglas, VanDyne, Nnamdi, (Udoibok a Maroon shirt) (no Grimes)
13 OL Dunlap, JMS, Beier, Olson, Boe, Umlor, Schlueter, Davis, Sassack, Andries, Faalele, Dickson, Guedet (Cooper a Maroon shirt) (York, Oseland, Dovich, Weyler, Greene gone)
39 offensive scholarships

10 LBs Guthrie, Rush, Oliver, Martin, Barber, Schoenfelder, Coughlin, SoriMarin, Gordon, Willis (Huff, Cash gone)
17 DL Otomewo, Devers, Mafe, Winston, Anderson, Carter, DV Harris, Ahanotu, Okonji, DewTreadway, Schad, Cheney, Teague, Robinson, Renner, Hickcox, Richter (Gibson, Moore, Silver, OJ gone)
14 DBS Howard, T Smith, C Williamson, Solomon Brown, Coney, Justus Harris, Kiondre, Nubin, CJ Smith, Winfield, Sapp, Howden, Swenson, Aune (Shenault, Huff, Estes gone...no Clemmons or Owens)
41 defensive scholarships

2 K Ryerse, Lantz (Carpenter gone)
1 P Herbers
1 LS Weeks (Jordahl gone)
4 Special team ships

assumes walk-on scholarships for Schoenfelder, Renner, Swenson all renewed

Guys who didn't play much last year that we need to push for starting spots to have a Big Ten West title type two-deep:

QB - none
RB- Smith, Brooks
TE - SpannFord
WR- Jornell, Gibson, Nnamdi, MBS
C - JMS
OT - Dickson, Schlueter, Guedet
G - Dunlap, Beier
LB - Oliver, SoriMarin, Rush, Willis, Gordon
DT - MDT, Schad, Cheney
DE - Mafe, Devers, Anderson, Harris
DB - Winfield, Sapp, Nubin, St Juste
K Lantz (Tarbutt, Walker)
P Melvin
LS Vojvodich

Last edited:

What happened to Nolan Edmonds? I must have missed that.

He is one name yet to appear. Could be a different transfer status and they can't list him until first week of fall workouts.

By my count, he would be scholarship 85. (Edmonds and Reigelsperger leaving got us down to 84, along with no Grimes, Clemmons or Owens, I think.)

4 QBs Morgan, Annexstad, Kramer, Clark
7 RBs Smith, Brooks, Williams, Potts, Ibrahim, Wiley, Williamson (formerly listed as athlete, (FemiCole, London, Edmonds gone)
4 TEs Kieft, Paulson, Witham, SpannFord (Bursch, Beebe, gone)
11 WRs Tyler, CAB, Jornell, Gibson, Bateman, Seth, MBS, Annexstad, Douglas, VanDyne, Nnamdi, (Udoibok a Maroon shirt) (no Grimes)
13 OL Dunlap, JMS, Beier, Olson, Boe, Umlor, Schlueter, Davis, Sassack, Andries, Faalele, Dickson, Guedet (Cooper a Maroon shirt) (York, Oseland, Dovich, Weyler, Greene gone)
39 offensive scholarships

10 LBs Guthrie, Rush, Oliver, Martin, Barber, Schoenfelder, Coughlin, SoriMarin, Gordon, Willis (Huff, Cash gone)
17 DL Otomewo, Devers, Mafe, Winston, Anderson, Carter, DV Harris, Ahanotu, Okonji, DewTreadway, Schad, Cheney, Teague, Robinson, Renner, Hickcox, Richter (Gibson, Moore, Silver, OJ gone)
14 DBS Howard, T Smith, C Williamson, Solomon Brown, Coney, Justus Harris, Kiondre, Nubin, CJ Smith, Winfield, Sapp, Howden, Swenson, Aune (Shenault, Huff, Estes gone...no Clemmons or Owens)
41 defensive scholarships

2 K Ryerse, Lantz (Carpenter gone)
1 P Herbers
1 LS Weeks (Jordahl gone)
4 Special team ships

assumes walk-on scholarships for Schoenfelder, Renner, Swenson all renewed

Is Brock Annexstad still on scholly, or was that just a one-year deal until his brother was eligible?

I still think the Joe Harasymiak hire was a strange one, not a bad one, but strange from Joe's standpoint. He left a position as a successful head coach at Maine, to being a DB coach. Maybe it's just the dues that you need to pay to move into the P5 ranks?

It looks like the weights have been updated since this morning. Dunlop now listed at 345. Faalele still at 400, Bateman up to 210, Schad up 20 lbs, Richter up to 330!!

Austin Winfield also grew 2 inches apparently

Last edited:

Wow, Logan Richter has Dexter Lawrence-like size ! I didn't realize how big he is.

I wonder if Adim-Madumere will end up being a TE? He pretty much has the size for it already, and the Gophers are going to be flush with receivers going forward.

I hope the Austin Winfield growth spurt is for real.

I still think the Joe Harasymiak hire was a strange one, not a bad one, but strange from Joe's standpoint. He left a position as a successful head coach at Maine, to being a DB coach. Maybe it's just the dues that you need to pay to move into the P5 ranks?

Head coach at Maine or DB coach at the U. It’s a no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree somewhat, but he did get a substantial pay raise to come here ($153K to $215K). It just illustrates how big the gap in pay, prestige, etc. is between FBS and FCS.

Some things that stood out.

Dunlap down to 345 from 370
Spann-Ford up to 270 form 260
Ottemewo up to 275 from 260
Mafe up to 260
Winston D up to 260
Andries and Schlueter up to 325
Dixon up to 320

Josh Aune listed as 230 lbs and Linebacker. (previously DB)

I agree somewhat, but he did get a substantial pay raise to come here ($153K to $215K). It just illustrates how big the gap in pay, prestige, etc. is between FBS and FCS.

Yeah, it's interesting.

I would think if his goal was to become a P5 HC then staying at Maine, even if it means less money, would be better long term for his career than a position coach at a P5 school. Coming off a 10-4 year and national FCS coach of the year, I think he would be an attractive option for a G5 FBS program looking for a HC. And then from there he could go a P5 school if he is successful.

Being a position coach at Minnesota would mean in order to advance his career, he would either have to go back as a HC at the FCS level, something he already has done, become a coordinator for an FBS team or take a job as a position coach at a helmet school. Seems like a lot more steps than just sticking as the HC at Maine.

Of course maybe he doesn't about becoming a HC in the FBS and just wants to make as much money as possible. But even then I feel like long term staying at Maine would be best. Oh well, I'm not complaining, very happy with the hire.

It is a huge gap. The only coach I've ever gotten to really know is Dennis Franchione when we we're both living in New Mexico. Prior to him being at New Mexico he was HC at Pittsburg State (a D-II team) for five years, winning the conference title each year, and ending up with a 53–6 record. 53-6 and he still couldn't land a decent D-1 job. He ended up taking the HC position at New Mexico, one of the worst places in the country to be a HC, and from there then moved on to TCU and on up.

Anyone know when Benjamin St-Juste will be added to the roster?

It is a huge gap. The only coach I've ever gotten to really know is Dennis Franchione when we we're both living in New Mexico. Prior to him being at New Mexico he was HC at Pittsburg State (a D-II team) for five years, winning the conference title each year, and ending up with a 53–6 record. 53-6 and he still couldn't land a decent D-1 job. He ended up taking the HC position at New Mexico, one of the worst places in the country to be a HC, and from there then moved on to TCU and on up.

Jim Tressel jumped from Youngston St. (FBS) to Ohio State.

I’d be curious to know also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me too. I was hoping he would be an instant impact. Ryan Burns doesn't seem to know much about what it's going on too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Edmonds likely will never be a starter on this team with Ibrahim and Williams clearly ahead of him. Just a hunch on the reason why he is no longer with the program.

Edmonds likely will never be a starter on this team with Ibrahim and Williams clearly ahead of him. Just a hunch on the reason why he is no longer with the program.

He was "outrecruited" at his position to use PJF's term.

The only way he can be a starter early is to transfer.

I see him on the roster now.

Sorry for the duplicate answer.

Regarding Nolan Edmonds, maybe one or two of the two new freshman were passing him up on the depth chart leaving him at option #6 or lower. At that point, you just aren't going to play even after the two seniors leave.

Last edited:

Top Bottom