2019 Roster Updated

He was part of the 2017 No. 5 Michigan recruiting class - https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Season/2017-Football/Commits/

Welcome aboard Benjamin! Glad to have you join the Maroon and Gold.

I don’t know anything about him, but if he was good enough to see action in 12 games for Michigan as a true Freshman, I’ll gladly take him. This injury situation and the reports that Michigan team doctors wouldn’t clear him is a little weird, though. It was just a hamstring, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see him on the roster now.

Sorry for the duplicate answer.

Regarding Nolan Edmonds, maybe one or two of the two new freshman were passing him up on the depth chart leaving him at option #6 or lower. At that point, you just aren't going to play even after the two seniors leave.

I'm sure that PJ blindfolded him, put him in handcuffs, started waterboarding him and told him that he needed to leave the program...

I'm sure that PJ blindfolded him, put him in handcuffs, started waterboarding him and told him that he needed to leave the program...

Why is it so difficult for you to believe that coaches push kids out? All coaches. You think it's a coincidence that every single year, for pretty much every single school they are able to sign close to the number of people that they want to bring in?

This isn't a PJ thing. But every single year since I've been posting on this forum, people have always been worried bout oversigning and it always works out. It's impossible to tell on a case-by-case basis and it's extremely likely that Nolan Edmonds just saw the writing on the wall.

We get it. You don't believe it's a thing but your hyperbolic examples of how it goes down makes it feel like you aren't super secure in that opinion.

You don't do that yourself ... you have the graduate assistants do that....

Why is it so difficult for you to believe that coaches push kids out? All coaches. You think it's a coincidence that every single year, for pretty much every single school they are able to sign close to the number of people that they want to bring in?

This isn't a PJ thing. But every single year since I've been posting on this forum, people have always been worried bout oversigning and it always works out. It's impossible to tell on a case-by-case basis and it's extremely likely that Nolan Edmonds just saw the writing on the wall.

We get it. You don't believe it's a thing but your hyperbolic examples of how it goes down makes it feel like you aren't super secure in that opinion.

Define "push kids out?"

Do all coaches tell some of their players that they are buried on the depth chart, unlikely to ever see the field, and tell them they will work to find them a new destination? Absolutely.

Do 5 players in the spring suddenly find out their scholarships aren't being renewed and there is no longer space for them on the team? There have been a few examples of this, but I doubt it's widespread.

Define "push kids out?"

Do all coaches tell some of their players that they are buried on the depth chart, unlikely to ever see the field, and tell them they will work to find them a new destination? Absolutely.

<b>Do 5 players</b> in the spring suddenly find out their scholarships aren't being renewed and there is no longer space for them on the team? There have been a few examples of this, but I doubt it's widespread.

Stop John. Your last sentence is a tremendous backtrack from where you started - yet now you are determined to continuously use nonsensical statements that no one else has claimed in some effort to prove what?

Brooks didn't change his number...

Define "push kids out?"

Do 5 players in the spring suddenly find out their scholarships aren't being renewed and there is no longer space for them on the team? There have been a few examples of this, but I doubt it's widespread.

We've had this discussion 5-10 times, I'd rather not pollute this thread with it. I think we just disagree on the subject. But you should know that there are other scenarios than the two you are presenting. If you want to keep talking about this issue, please start a thread for it and I'll respond. I am like you in that I don't mind continuously kicking the remains of this horse, I just know a lot of people would prefer to click into this thread and discuss the 2019 roster.

Because in this case, it is Fleck.

We've had this discussion 5-10 times, I'd rather not pollute this thread with it. I think we just disagree on the subject. But you should know that there are other scenarios than the two you are presenting. If you want to keep talking about this issue, please start a thread for it and I'll respond. I am like you in that I don't mind continuously kicking the remains of this horse, I just know a lot of people would prefer to click into this thread and discuss the 2019 roster.

Let's keep on topic with Edwards. Do you think he was told there was no longer space for him?

My answer would be a resounding "no." Edwards was a big-time recruit when we got him and he committed here over some other really quality offers, like Michigan St. After he found a new home, he would likely blast the staff if this actually took place. As would hundreds of other players each and every year.

Let's keep on topic with Edwards. Do you think he was told there was no longer space for him?

My answer would be a resounding "no." Edwards was a big-time recruit when we got him and he committed here over some other really quality offers, like Michigan St. After he found a new home, he would likely blast the staff if this actually took place. As would hundreds of other players each and every year.

Sad [emoji849]

Regarding Nolan Edmonds, I have zero idea if he was pushed out, or if he opted out.

But in either case, he was going into this season at best 5th on the depth chart, with two newly recruited freshman RB's coming in who now have one more year of eligibility.
He was likely going to get few carries this year and burn another year of eligibility.

It makes sense for him to move.

Now whether PJ pushed him out or Nolan realized this situation on his own are two larger arguments, but in the end it doesn't matter much. It's the right move for Nolan to leave if he wants to play football. The only way this is bad is if he really wanted his degree from the Univ of Minnesota and he got his scholarship pulled.

But even in that case, if you want to be a top 25 program, you probably have to be willing to drop these kids for more talented players even though it contradicts much of what you sold the kid 2 years ago when you recruited him. But this isn't naive kids anymore. When you get recruited you need to determine what school gives you your best shot and sometimes kids make the wrong decisions for themselves.

Is Brock Annexstad still on scholly, or was that just a one-year deal until his brother was eligible?

Huh? Scholarships cannot be taken away for “football reasons”. Only academic or disciplinary reasons.

Regarding Nolan Edmonds, I have zero idea if he was pushed out, or if he opted out.

But in either case, he was going into this season at best 5th on the depth chart, with two newly recruited freshman RB's coming in who now have one more year of eligibility.
He was likely going to get few carries this year and burn another year of eligibility.

Now whether PJ pushed him out or Nolan realized this situation on his own are two larger arguments, but in the end it doesn't matter much. It's the right move for Nolan to leave if he wants to play football. The only way this is bad is if he really wanted his degree from the Univ of Minnesota and he got his scholarship pulled.

But even in that case, if you want to be a top 25 program, you probably have to be willing to drop these kids for more talented players even though it contradicts much of what you sold the kid 2 years ago when you recruited him. But this isn't naive kids anymore. When you get recruited you need to determine what school gives you your best shot and sometimes kids make the wrong decisions for themselves.

PJ Fleck is indefatigable in making the Gophers more and more competitive by "out-recruiting" each position. That is the plus side.

The down side for some is that you are going to have kids that are going to be buried in the depth chart who may be super stars in HS and were highly recruited.

The college game is bigger, faster, and stronger than HS. The proof is in the pudding in the practice field and scrimmages. That is the real differentiator of the players by talent, maturity, work ethic, and attitude.

Some walk-ons are going to earn playing time and scholarships. Some highly recruited players may be busts.

Some may sustain injuries. Others are buried because they are surpassed talent-wise by kids who come from strong programs or who are gifted athletes who are hidden gems.

Transfers are inevitable.

Sometimes though patience is virtue. A good example is David Cobb. He was ready to transfer for lack of playing time. A chat by a few concerned folks and an attitude change earned him a starting role when Donnell Kirkwood got injured. Working hard and being ready paid dividends.

So, I wish Nolan Edmunds luck. It is not necessarily a bad thing to transfer if he wants playing time. There are Gophers who have transferred and have had successful careers with their new teams.

No matter how you look at it - you want the Gophers to climb to greater heights. As long as it is done with integrity and respect I have no problems with that.

Last edited:

Edmonds is still really young, so I'm not a fan of seeing him leave if it's for football reasons. Yes, he's 5th string at best right now, but Smith and Brooks are gone in 6 months so he would have the ability to shoot up the depth chart pretty quickly. The wildcard is that if during spring practice he was already behind Williamson...

Edmonds is still really young, so I'm not a fan of seeing him leave if it's for football reasons. Yes, he's 5th string at best right now, but Smith and Brooks are gone in 6 months so he would have the ability to shoot up the depth chart pretty quickly. The wildcard is that if during spring practice he was already behind Williamson...

I'm not a fan of Edmonds leaving either, but lets not forget he committed to us twice before signing, so who knows if he was ever 100 percent about his decision. I think he would have had a great shot at playing time next year as only a redshirt sophomore.

PJ Fleck is indefatigable in making the Gophers more and more competitive by "out-recruiting" each position. That is the plus side.

The down side for some is that you are going to have kids that are going to be buried in the depth chart who may be super stars in HS and were highly recruited.

The college game is bigger, faster, and stronger than HS. The proof is in the pudding in the practice field and scrimmages. That is the real differentiator of the players by talent, maturity, work ethic, and attitude.

Some walk-ons are going to earn playing time and scholarships. Some highly recruited players may be busts.

Some may sustain injuries. Others are buried because they are surpassed talent-wise by kids who come from strong programs or who are gifted athletes who are hidden gems.

Transfers are inevitable.

Sometimes though patience is virtue. A good example is David Cobb. He was ready to transfer for lack of playing time. A chat by a few concerned folks and an attitude change earned him a starting role when Donnell Kirkwood got injured. Working hard and being ready paid dividends.

So, I wish Nolan Edmunds luck. It is not necessarily a bad thing to transfer if he wants playing time. There are Gophers who have transferred and have had successful careers with their new teams.

No matter how you look at it - you want the Gophers to climb to greater heights. As long as it is done with integrity and respect I have no problems with that.

Attrition...Fleck = expected, previous HCs = unexpected. Your man crush is impressive.

I believe PJ has publicly stated that he tells his players that he is recruiting their replacement unless they improve their best. Keep walking, nothing to see.

Huh? Scholarships cannot be taken away for “football reasons”. Only academic or disciplinary reasons.

If so, that's something rather new. Here's a quote from this reference on college scholarships:

"An athletic scholarship cannot be guaranteed for four years. NCAA institutions offer one-year college scholarships that can be renewable annually. At the end of each year, athletics-based aid may be canceled or reduced for any reason."

If so, that's something rather new. Here's a quote from this reference on college scholarships:

"An athletic scholarship cannot be guaranteed for four years. NCAA institutions offer one-year college scholarships that can be renewable annually. At the end of each year, athletics-based aid may be canceled or reduced for any reason."

I think the answers is...it depends. My understanding is that if the student is recruited to the school with a scholarship, P5 schools now guarantee it can't be pulled for athletic performance reasons.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...ntees-four-year-scholarships-student-athletes

I believe PJ has publicly stated that he tells his players that he is recruiting their replacement unless they improve their best. Keep walking, nothing to see.

Sorry, but there’s a difference between telling kids you will always recruit other players to challenge them for playing time or starting positions, and encouraging them to leave. Loyalty is a two way street. You sell a kid that leaving home to come to the U is their best option because there will be great opportunity here academically, spiritually, etc. If you as a coach are unable to assist the player to develop, who is otherwise meeting his end of the agreement (working his tail off in the weight room, on the practice field, in the classroom and in the community) then that’s on the coaches- either for inability to to help the player advance or for poor assessment of the players ceiling. For those kids, if they really want to play then we owe them assistance to find a place where they have a better shot at seeing the field. However, if they came here in large part for the community, education and opportunities offered by the U, then in my opinion we owe them that opportunity.

Top Bottom