Congratulations to Team USA for winning another Women’s World Cup

DEGopher

Reaction score
First congratulations to the Women’s USA soccer team is in order. Although I am not a fan of soccer, I am a fan of the USA winning.

Now to the point of my post. In the US, we call it soccer, but the rest of the English speaking world calls it football.

Have you ever wondered what that's all about? Well, I have so I googled it.

Apparently the Brits came up with the word "soccer" some two hundred years ago, but then when Americans started playing soccer (like in the 1980s), the word became to "American" for the Britts. It doesn't seem like that is the complete explanation, but I got board (like I do when I watch soccer) so I stopped my investigation.

Before I stopped my investigation, however, I did learn that the Britts hate when we call it soccer. As one Britt, Beat Zimmermann , ranted;

""Dear Americans, Here is an important lesson for you to learn: There is no sport called 'Soccer.' The sport that was invented between the years 220 and 680 (yes, years with 3 digits do exist) is called Football. Nobody knows why you guys call a sport that was invented somewhat later (1869) and is played by motorbikers (that's why they wear helmets, not so?) football. It's neither played with the feet nor with a ball. If you called it American Rugby I am sure nobody would argue."

My take away from all this is I have a new way to tease any British people I run into in a bar during the next World Cup.

First I would say it was a real win-win when Meghan Markle left the USA to become The Duchess of Sussex, as she was able to increased the average IQ of both countries.

But then, I would ask them "how do you like the soccer game? Isn't this one of the best soccer games you have ever seen? Does England have a women's soccer team?

When they inevitably try to correct me and tell me that the proper name for the sport is football, I would have to respond "Well in America, we call it soccer, but just be thankful you are not forced to use the German name for it, Fuball"

You must be lonely.

Top Bottom