Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 264

Thread: Nancy Pelosi...

  1. #151

    Default

    [QUOTE=justthefacts;1761129) I think assuming people of color are from another country and should go back there is pretty much exactly what the phrase "make America white again" would mean. And that's racist. .[/QUOTE]

    See, that is the most intellectually vapid point of your whole argument. He didn’t say people of color (This tells me not even you believe your own arguments unless you falsely what was actually said), he was singling out politicians who violently disagreed with him. They weren’t separated and singled out by their color, but rather how they voted on his bill. As Pelosi said herself.

    “All these people have their public whatever and their Twitter world,” Pelosi said in an interview with New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd. “But they didn’t have any following. They’re four people and that’s how many votes they got.”

    Oh look, Pelosi called out 4 women of color. According to the application of your lack of logic, it’s racism. The reality is that it is due to their political stance.
    Last edited by DEGopher; 07-14-2019 at 07:09 PM.


  2. #152
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34,523
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    One of the more ignorant and partisan things Nancy Pelosi has said, “make America white again”.

    She originally made those comments about Trump wanting to ask the citizenship question on the census. Counting people doesn’t change the racial make up of the country.

    But this appears to be a narrative that she has decided to pursue. Dems are so used to defaming Republicans with insults, that they’ve begun to do it to each other when things don’t go their way.

    And, Nancy is trying to calm the rift between her and “the Squad”. What better way than to use Trump as a deflection?
    Telling 4 Americans to "go back where they came from" was Trump showing his racism once again. How sad that you will defend him no matter what. Blind, utter loyalty. And you say you didn't like him and didn't vote for him.
    Last edited by howeda7; 07-14-2019 at 07:45 PM.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34,523
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justthefacts View Post
    At least we've moved past the "Trump isn't racist" phase and into the "racism is totally acceptable" phase.
    It took longer than the "no contact with Russians" to "everyone colludes!" transition.
    Last edited by howeda7; 07-14-2019 at 07:47 PM.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34,523
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    Trump - the person - is not 'racist.' But Trump - the politician - is willing to say things that may sound racist in order to appeal to a certain segment of voters. He uses immigration as a wedge issue. It is more calculated than some think. and as DE suggested, it's becoming just another finger-pointing battle - "your party is racist" - "no, your party is racist."
    Talk about a distinction without a difference. If he's willing to spew racism as the leader of the free world to rile up his base, who TF cares if he's not "really racist" in private?

    And I know you're fond of both-sides-ism and often it's true. But on this issue it's not even close.

  5. #155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Telling 4 Americans to "go back where they came from" was Trump showing his racism once again. How sad that you will defend him no matter what? Blind, utter loyalty. And you say you didn't like him and didn't vote for him.
    If you accused him of being Ignorant, stupid, brash, bombastic with this tweet, I would agree with. You would make a strong argument that he was racist with other tweets.

    Calling this one racist just reveals your desire to label him has racist regardless. Perhaps you too suffer from psychological projection.

    “Psychological projection is a defense mechanism that occurs when a conflict arises between your unconscious feelings and your conscious beliefs. In order to subdue this conflict, you attribute these feelings to someone or something else.”

    Perhaps the real racist is looking at you in the mirror.

  6. #156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DEGopher View Post
    See, that is the most intellectually vapid point of your whole argument. He didn’t say people of color (This tells me not even you believe your own arguments unless you falsely what was actually said), he was singling out politicians who violently disagreed with him. They weren’t separated and singled out by their color, but rather how they voted on his bill. As Pelosi said herself.

    “All these people have their public whatever and their Twitter world,” Pelosi said in an interview with New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd. “But they didn’t have any following. They’re four people and that’s how many votes they got.”

    Oh look, Pelosi called out 4 women of color. According to the application of your lack of logic, it’s racism. The reality is that it is due to their political stance.
    He didn't call them out. He told them to go back to their countries. What country would that be? Why would he think they were from a different country?

    I've seen at least a dozen conservative commentators call him out for this. Only the Gopherhole and Fox News choose to pretend this wasn't racist.

  7. #157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justthefacts View Post
    He didn't call them out. He told them to go back to their countries. What country would that be? Why would he think they were from a different country?

    I've seen at least a dozen conservative commentators call him out for this. Only the Gopherhole and Fox News choose to pretend this wasn't racist.

    He was called out because his statement was ignorant, and mean spirited. Which they were. .

    What about the suggestion that if people don’t like here they to go back to their country of origin meets any of the following definitions of racism?

    racism noun
    rac·​ism | \ ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi- \
    Definition of racism
    1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
    2a : a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles
    b : a political or social system founded on racism
    3 : racial prejudice or discrimination

    Please advise. Oh wait, that’s right, you can’t support your argument using this definition of racism, without adding in words or falsifying what was actually said.
    Last edited by DEGopher; 07-14-2019 at 07:39 PM.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34,523
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justthefacts View Post
    Good to see you're now admitting which 4 he is talking about.

    Now that we have settled that, he said they should go back to their countries to fix their problems. Why would he say that about Presley, AOC, or even Tlaib? Because of their radical views?
    .
    The "proud racist" is vehemently defending Trump's racist comments. I'm shocked.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34,523
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    I didn’t defend Trump’s tweet. I thought it was stupid and impulsive. If he’s going to tweet, he needs to get his facts straight beforehand.

    I was commenting on Pelosi’s “make America white again” claim. Disparaging Trump, Republicans and Trump supporters with a comment like that, effectively calling him and his supporters racists, is disgusting rhetoric. It’s as bad as anything that Trump has said.

    So don’t give me the “effing kidding me” sh!t.

    We have different political opinions than you and believe in a different approach to solving problems, but that doesn’t make us racists.

    Counting legal citizens in the US to better determine the distribution of government resources, congressional representatives, etc. is not an act of racism. But, when they can’t argue with logic and rationality, demeaning the character of the opponent is the way that she has chosen to go.

    Pelosi first made this quote is response to the census citizen question. She has continued it to try to mend the rift between her and “the Squad”, and she used Trump’s stupid tweet to continue the narrative.
    Telling 4 non-white Congresswomen to "go back where the came from" certainly sounds like it comes from someone wanting to make America white again.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34,523
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DEGopher View Post
    Yeah, and because he either misspoke/or is ignorant to the fact that Ohmar is the only foreign born one of the group.
    Are you really uncertain over which one it is? Come on.

  11. #161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Are you really uncertain over which one it is? Come on.
    I actually don’t care, so I won’t argue with either of them. If you tell me it’s because he is an ignorant baffon, I have no evidence otherwise. If you say he misspoke, people do that too. Either way he was severely mistaken and that reflects poorly on him.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Windom, MN
    Posts
    7,616

    Default

    I think Trump's critics go overboard with calling him a racist.

    As I said before, I believe Trump uses racial issues as wedge issues for some perceived political gain. it's a strategy.

    But yelling "racism" constantly - IMHO - diminishes the power of the word. it makes it commonplace. especially when both sides are accusing each other of being racist. it becomes just another word that is used for political purposes, and minimizes the problem of "real" racism.

    There are plenty of things you can call Trump without going to the "racist" card.

    What gets me about the whole deal - before Trump's tweets, the media was focusing on the perceived rift between Pelosi and the "gang of 4" in the House. After Trump's tweets, that became the story and the Dems suddenly were united in condemning Trump. So, in tweeting about Democrat inter-party squabbles, Trump actually took the focus away from those squabbles. His tweet did the opposite of what it was (I think) intended to do.

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34,523
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DEGopher View Post
    If you accused him of being Ignorant, stupid, brash, bombastic with this tweet, I would agree with. You would make a strong argument that he was racist with other tweets.
    If this was the first ignorant/racist thing he ever said, you would have a point. He has shown us who he is over and over. Claiming Obama wasn't a citizen. Saying a an American born judge of Mexican ancestry couldn't give him a fair trial. Calling racists in Charlottesville "fine people" and on and on. If you defend him at this point, it's because you either find his racism to be a minor flaw among a sea of "great policies" and you're fine over-looking it or you find it an attribute.

  14. #164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    The "proud racist" is vehemently defending Trump's racist comments. I'm shocked.
    Trumps a racist, Pelosi is a racist, I am a racist, you are a racist. We are all racist.

    Now that we got that cleared up, can we move off the race card?

  15. #165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justthefacts View Post
    I don't think you're racist. I think assuming people of color are from another country and should go back there is pretty much exactly what the phrase "make America white again" would mean. And that's racist. He didn't have a typo; he pluralized three different words. But Trump tweeted that, not you.

    This answers DE's question as well, although it doesn't seem to have been in good faith given he proceeded to insult me personally.
    The rhetoric here, from howie and others, is a suggestion that Trump supporters must be racist, whether they realize it themselves or not. That we must be uncaring, lack compassion and reason, etc. He’s as much as said that with his virtue signaling.

    Anyone, including Nancy Pelosi, that suggests the Trump is attempting to “make America white again” implicitly is calling him and anyone who supports MAGA a racist. I have no doubt that this is a narrative that she will continue, if she gets no blowback from critics. It’s her way of appealing to the far left of the party. Frankly, I don’t think it’s smart.

    In howie’s view, the only way for redemption from the implications of evil and degenerate morals is to repudiate Trump and anything he advocates for.

    For it is only howie, in his humble view, and the likeminded that are rational, moral, intelligent, compassionate, (I could go on, but you can see it in all of howie’s virtue signaling posts), etc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •